Gel polish chipping/peeling/shrinking on natural nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee76_red

Reaction score
I know there's probably 100s of posts on this subject.....i don't have any problems with Gel over L&P, only on natural nails, is it my prep work? Its really getting me down. I work dry pushing back the cuticle, then use a curette to remove dead cells off the nail plate, buff slightly with a turtle file, i then use cleanser to remove any residue before i apply dehydrator. I go back to the first finger to apply base coat giving the dehydrator time to evaporate. I have been using IBD base and top, with CND Shellac colours and a CND LED lamp, but i use the same on L&P and have no issues. I will probably shoot myself in the foot here, but i bought the lamp off Ebay, not S2 or Ellisons, If you're all going to shoot me please make it quick lol.

Use the proper base and top coat for your system.

Use the proper base and top coat for your system.
Is there any reason why it doesn't do this over L&P but does on Natural Nails whilst using the same products for both?

Basically anything will last on acrylic or gel as a base under gel polish, even normal nail enamel. Why are you mixing systems?

As i said, i do not have an issue with mixing systems over enhancements (wrongly or rightly) and was asking why i would over natural nails as appose to enhancements. I have realised that using a complete system is as important as prep work to avoid service breakdown, i have purchased Shellac base and top coat from S2 and have my fingers crossed this resolves my issue..if not I'm at a loss.

I would say it's the base and top coat, I had the same. I used CND with orly gel colours had same thing second time I used only orly and their perfect and kept it very thin xx

I would say it's the base and top coat, I had the same. I used CND with orly gel colours had same thing second time I used only orly and their perfect and kept it very thin xx
Thank you, i will wait until my Shellac top and base arrive and see what happens, if i still have the same issue i know its my prep! i appreciate all the replies :)

I don't use a base coat over L&P.
I doubt it's your prep as if it was then your enhancements would be lifting.

Thank you, I don't seem to have problems with L&P, just gel polish....I still have a lot to learn, but I'm willing to learn, no matter how long it takes!

Could possibly be the lamp you brought from eBay??

I use IBD just gel polish as a complete system but I always use powerbond before applying the base coat. If I don't use powerbond, I'll almost certainly get lifting/chipping within a few days x

Latest posts

Back