Gel polish creativity!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzyG

Reaction score
Hi geeks.
I did a gellux gel polish course in salons direct a little while ago which thought application of gel polish ect but as I'm looking though people's fantastic pictures of mermaid effect and nail art with gel I'm finding myself well jell! How do you learn to do this? It is another course or self taught through online advice? I also did a nail extention course but didn't practice enough to get good which I'm now really regretting! I'm a mobile hairdresser so not being salon based made it difficult to keep on top of these new skills. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks x

What do you mean mermaid effect?

Two tone, coloured blended together. That's the term I've seen it called on nail sites.

Google image mermaids nail effect and it comes up x

Oohh ombré? I taught myself, lots of YouTube - just confirming which you meant as here in Aus mermaid nails typically refer to a glitter effect

Oh does it haha sorry! Can I ask how you blend the two colours in the middle, I've seen on YouTube people using their finger or just the gel brush? (I've got to say also, I travelled Australia the year before last....AMAZING) I even got married there on Manly beach! Love it, lucky girl!

I actually use a make up sponge, tear an edge off, brush the gel onto the sponge, and dab, then cure. If it starts off pale I use that for my blend line, and go back in a second time with a reloaded sponge

Alternatively I use pigments - I will find a photo soon of a set I did a while back in shellac with 3 colours

Yes I love it, I live on the gold
Coast but get so envious of all the deals the uk offers [emoji23]

mermaid nails is a very fine glitter powder that gives ur nails a shine that alters the colour so it ends up looking rwo toned look for gemma lambert on youtube or facebook she sells this glitter powder and does videos on how it looks hope this helps xx

If you're meaning ombré , this is a set I did a while ago with shellac using the method I mentioned before, starting with the lighter colour as your base and dabbing the darker colours

For this set I used grapefruit sparkle, lilac longing and cerulean sea

Otherwise the more popular method I would think of when you say "mermaid nails" is a very fine iridescent shimmer that throws different colours

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1462756367.429972.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1462756402.275507.jpg

Latest posts

Back