Gel polish question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma22_93

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone could advise re:gel polishes stored in a clear pot?
I use IBD just gel polish and because they are used so often the brush on the base coat goes tatty or spreads out too much quite quickly and I end up buying a new one. I'm ending up with loads of half used base coats with useless brushes.
I'm wondering if it's worth buying empty pots and brushes to decant the base coats into, however the only ones I can seem to find are clear see through plastic or glass.
Would this in any way spoil gel polish or make it less effective?

Sorry if this seems an amateur question - I am a massage therapist by trade an only do gel nails on myself/friends and family so I'm not the most clued up.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I'm aware gel polish is light sensitive and this is the reason why the bottles are completely covered in a blackout style film or plastic coating.

You can get little jars that are black - have seen them in Creative Academy in Manchester. Am sure other places will sell them too though.

You could always cover the bottles with black fabric glued on or mactac.

As far as I'm aware gel polish is light sensitive and this is the reason why the bottles are completely covered in a blackout style film or plastic coating.

Absolutely, they will cure hard if they're in clear pots

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone could advise re:gel polishes stored in a clear pot?
I use IBD just gel polish and because they are used so often the brush on the base coat goes tatty or spreads out too much quite quickly and I end up buying a new one. I'm ending up with loads of half used base coats with useless brushes.
I'm wondering if it's worth buying empty pots and brushes to decant the base coats into, however the only ones I can seem to find are clear see through plastic or glass.
Would this in any way spoil gel polish or make it less effective?

Sorry if this seems an amateur question - I am a massage therapist by trade an only do gel nails on myself/friends and family so I'm not the most clued up.

Thanks in advance!

Are you doing nails near a window? Or near your gel lamp while it's on?
Sounds like your brush is curing.

Are you doing nails near a window? Or near your gel lamp while it's on?
Sounds like your brush is curing.

Normally by a window yes as its where I get the best light, that's an interesting point it could be that!

Thank you for replies everyone I'm going to look for dark pots to decant in to and see how I get on.

If sunlight is curing your product, dark pots will not help.

I used to use IBD in a salon and worked next to the window and the sunlight cured every brush we had within minutes, we ended up installing blinds as it was the only available work space right next to the window, but I would say it is definitely the sunlight that is your problem. You will have a nightmare come summer!
I would say you either need blinds and get a desk lamp for your nail table, or just love your table all together if you can! xxx

It does sound like it is the sunlight from the window, this happens to me if I don't have the blind down. Have you tried wiping your brush with isopropyl alcohol to clean it, if this doesn't work try wiping the brush with gel remover to try to restore the brush, just don't soak it in it as the brush maybe nylon in which case it will melt!! I now always keep an empty bottle of base and top just incase I get a damaged brush, I can then just swop the brush top if I need to.
You could always use a regular gel brush to use up the base coat from the bottle but make sure you clean it after each use.

well..... I'm glad I found this thread...... at a clients today ... and she asked if we could do her nails outside.... under the parasol... "of course", I said as I always like to please my clients...... didn't give it a second thought..... so start doing her infills...... using IBD hard gel..... and low and behold it started going on a bit funny..... then as I tried to get a little more gel on my brush .... my brush hit a solid lump/sheet covering the top of my gel pot..... AAARRRGGGGGGG so I kinda picked off this covering.....like a skin off a custard pot and carried on...... then after.... same thing happened with my base coat.... I honestly didn't think..... at the time it didn't even occur to me that the stuff was curing in the pot....I have learned a very good lesson today..... the sun.... will cure your gels!! ....... she was as stumped as I was..... and asked me to let her know if I found out ... guess I will NOT be doing nails outdoors anymore or near a window ..... xx

well..... I'm glad I found this thread...... at a clients today ... and she asked if we could do her nails outside.... under the parasol... "of course", I said as I always like to please my clients...... didn't give it a second thought..... so start doing her infills...... using IBD hard gel..... and low and behold it started going on a bit funny..... then as I tried to get a little more gel on my brush .... my brush hit a solid lump/sheet covering the top of my gel pot..... AAARRRGGGGGGG so I kinda picked off this covering.....like a skin off a custard pot and carried on...... then after.... same thing happened with my base coat.... I honestly didn't think..... at the time it didn't even occur to me that the stuff was curing in the pot....I have learned a very good lesson today..... the sun.... will cure your gels!! ....... she was as stumped as I was..... and asked me to let her know if I found out ... guess I will NOT be doing nails outdoors anymore or near a window ..... xx

Epic failure [emoji23][emoji23]

Just to add... i cleaned my brushes with acetone.... perfect xx

Latest posts

Back