Gel problems!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaH73

Reaction score
Hi,

Haven't posted on here for ages been busy having babies! (or rather one!) :biggrin:

Trained with creative l&p but decided to have a go of gel cause basically my mum likes it more!!! (she just has natural nail overlay) Did two sets of nails Friday on friends (nsi balance). One friend has lost one nail the other has lost four. They have only lost the tips, both are quite heavy handed but i've obviously done something wrong, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Done proper prep, stuck tips on with gelbond and put two coats on of balance blush then coat of balance finish gel, is it that i'm not putting enough on???? :confused:

Please, please any advice would be great!!!!

Another daft question do you file it off or soak with acetone, doesn't seem to want to buge when i try acetone! :o

Many thanks lovely people :Love:

nsi balance is a buff off gel hth

Exactly!

Technicians tend to use gel too thin over the whole nail. Although they say you can apply it like polish, the truth is that you cannot apply gel like that and have strength as well.

Remember that thinness is an ILLUSION. As long as the free edge is thin, then the rest of the nail will appear thin too. You need to build a gel nail just like L&P ... Brisa is a very strong gel as it essentially is Retention+ but in a gel form. Generic gels such as the one you are using do not tend to be as strong so you have to build some strength into the enhancement.

Sounds as if you should put some more gel in the stress area. Try it on yourself and see what happens...

also check your curing time and the wattage of your lamp. I use a 36 watt lamp (four 9 watt bulbs) and cure for 3 minutes. if you have any further problems, pm me and i'll try to help. you can also give the nsi girls a call, they are really helpful!!

Thanks ladies for the help. Definately doing them too thin and not enough on the stress area, thought it was too easy!!!! :o

I'll keep trying, sure i'll get them right eventually!

xxxxxx :biggrin:

just had a thought, make sure you are using the balance bond primer on the natural nail only, as if it makes even the slightest contact with your tips, the liquid may seep under (or something) and then your tips are off!! Am speaking from experience, as often when i was training, i would be soooo busy jaw-wobbling (aka gossiping), that i wouldn't pay enough attention to what i was doing!! Now i'm not saying that you are careless, just that sometimes it is easy to lose concentration for a second or two, and your primer goes a bit haywire!!!

Well i definately have been doing that wrong then, i put the balance bond on all over and as for lack of concentration......i haven't got any!!!!! :D

Will make sure i'm more careful and start shutting my mouth and trying to concentrate although i don't think i can do both those things at once :eek:

Thanks again lovely ladies, i'll let you know how i plod along!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself geeg!! I dont know why I bothered to type a reply to be honest!!
icon_lol.gif
but removal is difficult. Buff down till thin and use warm acetone to remove last stage. bit of a pain but, bare with it.!

jussy said:
Couldn't have put it better myself geeg!! I dont know why I bothered to type a reply to be honest!!
icon_lol.gif
but removal is difficult. Buff down till thin and use warm acetone to remove last stage. bit of a pain but, bare with it.!

Just a quick question for Jussy - after you have buffed down till thin and used the acetone, what is the best way to finish the nails? I know you should put cuticle oil on to rehydrate the nail but would you use a top coat or just buff the nails to a shiny finish ??

Thanks
em :o

LindaH73 said:
Hi,

Haven't posted on here for ages been busy having babies! (or rather one!) :biggrin:

Trained with creative l&p but decided to have a go of gel cause basically my mum likes it more!!! (she just has natural nail overlay) Did two sets of nails Friday on friends (nsi balance). One friend has lost one nail the other has lost four. They have only lost the tips, both are quite heavy handed but i've obviously done something wrong, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Done proper prep, stuck tips on with gelbond and put two coats on of balance blush then coat of balance finish gel, is it that i'm not putting enough on???? :confused:

Please, please any advice would be great!!!!

Another daft question do you file it off or soak with acetone, doesn't seem to want to buge when i try acetone! :o

Many thanks lovely people :Love:

hi ya if your creative trained have you thought about BRISA??

I use BioSculpture - great for colour choice but nothing like as stong as BRISA so i now offer that as well esp tip and overlays.

I saw AMY from NSI do a nail on my friend at excel and she put LOADS of builder blush on...thinly tapered at the end as geeg said.

Keep trying you'll get there.

MINKUS said:
hi ya if your creative trained have you thought about BRISA??

I use BioSculpture - great for colour choice but nothing like as stong as BRISA so i now offer that as well esp tip and overlays.

I saw AMY from NSI do a nail on my friend at excel and she put LOADS of builder blush on...thinly tapered at the end as geeg said.

Keep trying you'll get there.

Haven't thought about trying BRISA, really just wanted something i could try at home without training as finance isn't so hot at the mo with new baby and four year old terror, might try it in the future though.

Have done a new set of nails on my nan today (good old nan let me get away with murder and would pay me for it!!!!) will see how they go and let you all know! :biggrin:

hi linda

i changed from nsi to brisa and love it far fewer problems and a geeat gel to work with. if you have trained in gel you don't necessarily need to to a conversion course

Latest posts

Back