GEL - Push up or paint on??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC

Reaction score
Hi

I have been trained to push the gel up from the free edge, which i can understand when applying the white but am struggling to get an even shape when i push up the clear from the free edge. Ive checked out you tube and they all seem to paint it on like nail varnish, which i think is better but have been advised by my trainer to do it as taught from free edge up!! Im using the edge gel which is a bit gloopy... any advise would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hi hun what gels are you using? this might help geeks to answer your questions more appropriately.xx

Hi, Im using The Edge gel which im finding gloopy and hard to get to stay in place on the nail..

Here is Edge video.

YouTube - Edge Nail & Beauty UV gel

I have to say that i am not thrilled by the video, but hopefully it will help you.

Practice, practice and practice - and you will get there.

Push up - is called sculpting, using builder gel, gently massaging the gel into place. then using a clean brush tidy up the smile line if needed.

paint on - using thinner white gel, painting the smile line over already built and shaped nail.

If you are really struggling you may want to contact your educator for further advice :D

Hope this helps.

Hi LC

I use the push up method but different type of gel. You may want to try working from zone 2 which is the center of the nail toward the cuticle and then continue shaping from zone 2 to zone 3 which is free edge. I hope this helps. Also if you use the flat side of the brush instead of the tip of the brush may help too.

Good luck I hope this helps.

I use gel exclusively and all different brands and types. My method is basically the push, but not really. lol I put the gel down in zone 2 and just use the very edge (by laying the brush kinda flat but just barely using the tip) to 'float' the gel around the nail. I then use the very corner of the brush to barely pick up the gel in the places that are not level and using the "drag and drop" technique to fix it. I wish I could explain myself better, but without actually 'talking' it over with you, this is the best that I can do. HTH!

I use gel exclusively and all different brands and types. My method is basically the push, but not really. lol I put the gel down in zone 2 and just use the very edge (by laying the brush kinda flat but just barely using the tip) to 'float' the gel around the nail. I then use the very corner of the brush to barely pick up the gel in the places that are not level and using the "drag and drop" technique to fix it. I wish I could explain myself better, but without actually 'talking' it over with you, this is the best that I can do. HTH!
ditto, I've been taught never to brush gels, but to kind of push it around... and I usually start from zone 2 with my clear and work up then down to the free edge.

Every system is developed to be used with specific techniques, hence training in each system is paramount to get the best out of the product and produce perfect enhancements.

The best advice is to back to your educator and clarify the issue asap. If your educator isn't helpful, then u should consider switching to another brand, that will support you all the way;)

don't loose hope, French is hard to master.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, very helpful advice - im going to start clear at zone 2 and try to be a bit gentler with my brush using flat edge and drag and drop technique with the gel to eaze into place. Im doing a set of gels on friend tomorrow so will let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again x

Hi everyone, just wanted to say a big thanks for the advice. I started from zone 2 with clear and used the techniques mentioned and my gels were 100% better! So grateful, feel so much more confident about my assessment now xxx

Good for you!!

Hi, I have never seen this type of gel application before. I am learning with essential nails and the way they apply gel is much better from what I can see. go to www.nailangel.co.uk join there and view their videos on applying gel and french polish gel. it is so much easier. hth.

Hello all,

I am using akzents and I am fine doing my smile lines with the builder white but with the paint on I'm having more troubles. My supplier said to paint on like nail polish and I found that it needed a thicker application than that, but not to thick (as my nails didn't fully cure and I had to take them off) But can someone please explain how to use these paint on gels so that they cover but don't run

Hello all,

I am using akzents and I am fine doing my smile lines with the builder white but with the paint on I'm having more troubles. My supplier said to paint on like nail polish and I found that it needed a thicker application than that, but not to thick (as my nails didn't fully cure and I had to take them off) But can someone please explain how to use these paint on gels so that they cover but don't run
Do 2 thin applications, the second will give you the coverage you need for the free edge white :green:

I just want to mention the 'push' technique I've read on this thread and also using the flat side of the brush... you will find it easier to use the tip of your brush (brush vertical) and to 'tease' the gel into place. Make sure you have some gel on your brush before you start to work, it doesn't leave any dents in the gel that way and you will find you'll achieve a smoother finish with less work involved :wink2:

Hello all,

You do need to apply it as if you were applying polish. You may want to apply two thin coats of White paint for even look and thorough cure.

Do 2 thin applications, the second will give you the coverage you need for the free edge white :green:

I just want to mention the 'push' technique I've read on this thread and also using the flat side of the brush... you will find it easier to use the tip of your brush (brush vertical) and to 'tease' the gel into place. Make sure you have some gel on your brush before you start to work, it doesn't leave any dents in the gel that way and you will find you'll achieve a smoother finish with less work involved :wink2:

Like minds think at the same time) ;)

Latest posts

Back