Gel reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profbeau

Reaction score
Hi all. I've had a client contact me, saying she had an episode was dizzy and felt unwell and ended up at primary care.

She said they told her it was an allergic reaction to the gel polish. Apparently they wanted to test her but she refused as she was too tired!

This is 3 days after application

I used Megamix on her, first time for her. She usually just has Vinylux but fancied trying my new product.

She has now asked me how I intend to compensate her!

As far as I'm aware I can not be held responsible for an allergic reaction! Where do I stand, and would you suggest I compensate in any way?

Never had a complaint or issue before! 😢

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, especially three days after. I have quite a few allergies from mild to anaphylactic and you know after a few hours maximum if you are allergic. Sounds like a drop in blood pressure or blood sugar. As for compensation she can get stuffed. Even if there was proof of an allergic reaction (although her saying she was to tired to get tested seems like an off excuse) it is no different than eating at a new restaurant and surprise! You are now allergic to something new. You are not responsible for new allergies that your client didn't even know existed. We are not fortune tellers. You did your job safely and that's the best you can do.

It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, especially three days after. I have quite a few allergies from mild to anaphylactic and you know after a few hours maximum if you are allergic. Sounds like a drop in blood pressure or blood sugar. As for compensation she can get stuffed. Even if there was proof of an allergic reaction (although her saying she was to tired to get tested seems like an off excuse) it is no different than eating at a new restaurant and surprise! You are now allergic to something new. You are not responsible for new allergies that your client didn't even know existed. We are not fortune tellers. You did your job safely and that's the best you can do.

To quickly get rid of her tell her you need the written results from her test so that you can take it further with your insurers before you can take any action.

3 days later?! What a crock of s***. I can guarantee you won't hear from her again but if in doubt give your insurers a call anyway to ease your mind.

Also, do not compensate in any whatsoever because if you do you are accepting fault. No discounts, no NOTHING!

Thank you, you have read my mind completely, but I think I just needed a bit of reassurance. I have told her in the nicest possible way that I cannot be held responsible for unforseen allergic reactions, and suggested she has the allergy test as without it we can not be sure it even was a reaction to the gel.

She is still asking for some kind of compensation, and even suggested I do shellac as a free treatment! I'm sticking to my guns, no compensation and I have told her that until the test has been done I am not willing to apply anything to her nails!

She had mentioned one of her symptoms was low blood pressure, and I did think that this may actually be the cause of all her other symptoms, but as I'm not a doctor I didn't want to go down that route 😉

Thank you, you have read my mind completely, but I think I just needed a bit of reassurance. I have told her in the nicest possible way that I cannot be held responsible for unforseen allergic reactions, and suggested she has the allergy test as without it we can not be sure it even was a reaction to the gel.

She is still asking for some kind of compensation, and even suggested I do shellac as a free treatment! I'm sticking to my guns, no compensation and I have told her that until the test has been done I am not willing to apply anything to her nails!

She had mentioned one of her symptoms was low blood pressure, and I did think that this may actually be the cause of all her other symptoms, but as I'm not a doctor I didn't want to go down that route 😉

Good for you. Don't give her anything. I can't believe some people. What a great response you gave too about not being willing to do any treatments until allergy test has been confirmed. :D

Why would she want shellac applied if she thought she had a reaction to something on her nails but is not 100% sure! If she really thinks it's the nails, to end up like that is quite bad, why would she want to risk it again!!

Why would she want shellac applied if she thought she had a reaction to something on her nails but is not 100% sure! If she really thinks it's the nails, to end up like that is quite bad, why would she want to risk it again!!

Exactly! I think this is what confirmed to me that she was trying to pull a fast one.

Well done with your response . I can't believe some clients ,anything for a free treatment .

Sounds ridiculous, i doubt the doctor at the hospital looked her up and down and suddenly declared that she is ill due to her bling bling manicure! Priceless x

Her story is complete nonsense.

Do exactly as Mobile Manicure has suggested and think no more about it. Tell her to deal with your insurance company direct and do not correspond further with her.

Her story is complete nonsense.

Do exactly as Mobile Manicure has suggested and think no more about it. Tell her to deal with your insurance company direct and do not correspond further with her.

Thank you. I have heard nothing more from her since telling her I would need to see results of the allergy test, before I could treat her again.

I doubt very much I will hear from her again! No skin off my back, now I'm not so panicky (and thanks to the advice and moral support here) I am more bemused and angry at her cheek!

Also as far as I'm aware you have to have been exposed to something first to develop the reaction to it do as you stated you used a new product she hadn't had before, so unless she's had this treatment else where previously and they have got it on her skin it is unlikely she has had a reaction to it xx

Sent from my Galaxy S4

For goodness sake what is the MATTER with people?

If that was me, seeking compensation would be the last thing on my mind.
I would just be relieved that I was ok and make a mental note not to eat/have that thing again.

We can all randomly develop allergies to absolutely anything, even things we've been using for years, besides its usually a lot quicker than 3 days to show!!

Personally I'm of the opinion that it wasnt an allergy at all, but I guess the hospital have put that in her head. Stick to your guns :hug:

Primary care is her gp, not the hospital. The only time you get drop in bp due to allergy is with anaphylaxis and with that you need to attend a&e, will be given a host of meds through drips and ket in hospital overnight at the least. There is no way that her "dizzy spell" has anything to do with her nail varnish! Don't worry a jot about it! She sounds like a nutter who has probably made up the whole "doctor told me is was an allergy".
Oh and she was too tired to be tested?!
A test would involve at most a blood test and then referral. To an immunologist weeks later and even then it would only tell her if she had an allergy, not to what! No immunologist would take it further and do patch testing for "a dizzy spell!"

Latest posts

Back