Gel topcoat over polish over L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I've searched and found the answer that you can't use gel topcoat over polish, but what if the polish is over an acrylic overlay?

I've extensions with a L&P overlay, which I then put a dark polish on, I then put a gel topcoat on it.

My old tech seemed to use gel topcoat over everything, and at my recent course, they actually said you could you a gel topcoat over a NN polish.

Would you have sealed the l&p with gel topcoat before applying polish also?

I was thinking of leaving this polish on until I needed to do a rebalance, so I'd be taking the polish down anyway, but now what if I wanted to just change the polish?

Sorry, that makes sense in my head lol, hope it came across correctly.

i'm glad you asked this, i was thinking of posting the same exact questions, because i was told i could use a uv gel topcoat over anything, inlcuding polish. i have used it over l&p after polish on 2 clients, one clients cracked and one didn't. so then i began to question myself and i couldn't remember if there was a rule about uv gel top coat sealer??? my school instuctor said we could, now i don't know...... bumping this post up so maybe we can get some help? i'm currently using OPI axxium top coat sealer. i know for sure you can't use this with the axxium soak offs, according to OPI. so can anyone answer these questions? i've seen so many youtube videos with nail art/rhinestones, etc, where they're using polish, acrylic paint, etc and they always seal with a top coat, usually glaze n go.

It's hit and miss as to what it will look like , gel sticks to gel or rough , polish is shiny ,
gel shrinks a little as it cures polish dosent = wrinkled

gel cures with a uv light needing the light to penatrate it , polish is quite offten opaque and let's no light through,

Like I said it's hit and miss , some colours/brands it seems to work with some it dosent ,

I would be more worryed about what you can't see , uncured gel that can lead to a reaction .

With enhanced nails polish will last for ages anyway with out a gel top coat .

aah, I can probably help with the cracking (insert embarressed emoticon, cos I can't find it lol)

I'm a devil for putting my thumb in my mouth when I'm concentrating or reading and I don't bite, but I sort of push down on it, like chomping lol. I've cracked the thumb.

Mine was a purple glitter Nubar polish, two coats. I think put a thin coat off glaze n go on top and cured for 90 seconds.

I put the top coat on because of the roughness of the glitter tbh.

I've currently got the Nubar porcelain base and top coat, so might try using that alone.

It's just conflicting reports again, and when you're still learning these things, its best to ask here :D

I just wasnt sure about sealing the l&p with glaze n go before I put polish on. I suppose if it's staying on until a rebalance, its not really an issue, but if you want to remove/change the polish, which I do, would polish discolour the l&P.

thanks x

I just wasnt sure about sealing the l&p with glaze n go before I put polish on. I suppose if it's staying on until a rebalance, its not really an issue, but if you want to remove/change the polish, which I do, would polish discolour the l&P.

thanks x

It is not so much it will discolour the acrylic (l&P) but when you remove polish it leaves it dull and it will need to be buffed to a high shine to look good again.
Best to put your gel topcoat on then apply your polish, and I would just use a normal topcoat over the polish as it dries quickly anyway. then when you want to change polish when you take it off you still have the shiny gel topcoat below.
Hope this helps :o

It is not so much it will discolour the acrylic (l&P) but when you remove polish it leaves it dull and it will need to be buffed to a high shine to look good again.
Best to put your gel topcoat on then apply your polish, and I would just use a normal topcoat over the polish as it dries quickly anyway. then when you want to change polish when you take it off you still have the shiny gel topcoat below.
Hope this helps :o
Perfect, thanks izzidoll x

Nubar's infinity uv top coat can be used over polish but the polish needs to be bone dry. I phoned Palms Extra and they confirmed it. :)

Nubar's infinity uv top coat can be used over polish but the polish needs to be bone dry. I phoned Palms Extra and they confirmed it. :)

Could i use this on a normal manicure if the client was going on holiday for two weeks to guarantee it didn't chip?

maybe try Lumos?

Latest posts

Back