Gel "Wrinkling" Causes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigit

Reaction score
Today I had a regular client and ran into a problem, no clue as to the cause, maybe you have run into this before? Same products same jars same brushes same client, new problem?

Bio Sculpture Royal Gel as the base 2 nicely applied coats
Brisa white for the tips
Bio Sculpture Cream over to make it a creamy french

When I cured the BS Cream, it started to wrinkle on one several fingers. I tried to apply it several times before there was wrinkling on nearly all fingers. But I didn't get the wrinkling when I finally quit and just did a Royal Gel for the top coat and magically no more wrinkling. She doesn't like clear gel for her base gel.

The only thing I could think of was maybe I had alcohol in the wipe off brush to crisp up the smile lines, maybe it did something with the gel? If so, why did the problem magically resolve with the top coat? Do soak off colour gels go bad?

BTW The Shellac isn't available at CosmoProf here in Canada.

Hi, I use calgel and if it has been applied too thick it can cause wrinkling. If its not too bad it usually sorts itself out when clear is applied over the top. Had this myself the other day when I applied black as a french on the tip but I think as I was trying to get the true colour I applied slightly too thick and once cured there was some wrinkling. I put clear gel on and it was fine no wrinkles and nice and smooth. HTH:D

Definitely not a thick application...

Definitely not a thick application...

Then it could be your bulbs. Wrinkling is a sign of incomplete cure (usually because of thickness or bulbs getting weak) and it rectifies when cured again under in the lamp with the top coat.

The bulbs are brand new, I just put new ones in several weeks ago.

The bulbs are brand new, I just put new ones in several weeks ago.
Well Then I would say there was thickness there beyond what it should have been. May be the product pooled. It is hard to tell with gels. Was the wrinkling on all nails or just some?

Just some of the nails. I apply this colour with most of my French's always the same way, never had this happen before. It's baffling me!

Just some of the nails. I apply this colour with most of my French's always the same way, never had this happen before. It's baffling me!

Well you now know the causes .. you will have to work it out ... none of us is there to observe, only you.

My colour applications are nice and thin, it's not that. My bulbs are fresh, so it's not that either. Had 2 clients today and I used other colour gels (red and a pink,) didn't crop up.

I was doing shellac the other day and placed one of the fingers in the lamp to 10 sec. or less set the color so it wouldn't pool at tips. (just something I was trying) and the color wrinklied so I just recoated it (very thinly) and cured full two min. and it was fine. So what Gigi said about undercured may have caused it to wrinkle on mine. I probably didn't set full 10 sec. So my point is did you somehow preset or forget how long it was under for and didn't cure to its fullest. Just a thought hope you understand what I mean. :D

Could it be that you didn't cure with a brisa lamp?

I was doing shellac the other day and placed one of the fingers in the lamp to 10 sec. or less set the color so it wouldn't pool at tips. (just something I was trying) and the color wrinklied so I just recoated it (very thinly) and cured full two min. and it was fine. So what Gigi said about undercured may have caused it to wrinkle on mine. I probably didn't set full 10 sec. So my point is did you somehow preset or forget how long it was under for and didn't cure to its fullest. Just a thought hope you understand what I mean. :D

If you paint the waY I describe here ... Shellac never pools; One of the best tof many things about it.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

So many technicians do not know how to paint correctly OR to cap correctly ... both are described here. xx

we use bio aswell and have seen this happen a couple of times!!! mainly with the creamy opaque colours, we were advised to stir the gels slowly so as not to create air bubbles to make sure they havent settled or seperated, seems to work most of the time!!

we use bio aswell and have seen this happen a couple of times!!! mainly with the creamy opaque colours, we were advised to stir the gels slowly so as not to create air bubbles to make sure they havent settled or seperated, seems to work most of the time!!

It is very important to shake every bottle you use before using it with CND Shellac UV colour coat system, so thanks for pointing that out Vikki. It is important.

Latest posts

Back