Gelish allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam81

Reaction score
Help! I think I may have developed an allergy to Gelish :( I've just taken mine off today and I've got signs of onycholosis. This has never happened to me before. I'm absolutely gutted. I've called Nail Harmony and was lucky enough to speak to Georgie who explained how it could have happened and ways that I can keep working with it but obviously I can't keep using it on myself, think I'm going to cry :' ( . Obviously it's likely that I'll have the same problem with all gels now, does anyone know if I could try Shellac?

I would imagine shellac would be fine on you, as it isn't a gel.

Maybe it is something in Gelish, causing this? You might be able to use other Gel polish. Just need to try it on 1 finger and test them.

Shame though.... poor you :(

Hi,

I have been using Biosculpture (overlays only)for last 4 years.
After first 2 year I developed alergy.
I use to have a bad habbit of wiping the gel off the edges with my fingers.
2 years later I started to develop very bad blisters on my fingertips.
Went to have tests done and the doctor said I have an alergy to any form of acrylate...
She said anything that needs to be cured under the uv-light will contain some form of acrylic.
I can't come in contact with the product so I have been using nitrile gloves that seem to work well.
But must be careful I don't accidentaly touch the gel with my elbow :p

It is not about gelish. ALL gels have agrassive base and almost the same chemical formula, otherwise they would not be on our nails for so long time. If you always using gel polish (which is every 2-3 weeks) without giving your nails some rest it could be the reason. before using gels we take off the nails shine, buffing nails. and it must be done not often then ONCE a MONTH. It is very impotant. Give your nails chance to grow off use the oils etc. And they will be normal. It is not the allergy, otherwise your skin would have been reacted to chemicals too.
And sorry for my English :o I hope everything was clear.
Wish you all the best

Last edited:
Shellac is hypoallergenic, so shouldn't cause you a problem.

Shellac is hypoallergenic, so shouldn't cause you a problem.

Just because something is hypoallergenic doesn't mean that people can't be allergic to it. It just means that it does not contain the substances that people are MOST likely to develop allergies to.

Shellac base coat- Tetrahydrofurfuryl Methacrylate, PPG-5 Methacrylate,
Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Isopropylidenediphenol
PEG-2 Dimethacrylate, Acetone, Alcohol Denat.,
Acrylates Copolymer, Di-HEMA Trimethylhexyl
Dicarbamate, Bis (Glyceryl Dimethacrylate)
Pyromellitate, Hydroxycyclohexyl Phenyl Ketone, Butyl
Acetate, Ethyl Trimethylbenzoyl Phenylphosphinate,
Phenyldimethoxyacetophenone, Hydroxypropyl
Methacrylate.
Which is all acrylates,

Gelish base coat- Di- hema Trimethylhexyl Dicarbamate, HEMA, Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate, Hydroxycyclohexyl, Phenyl Ketone, Violet 2 (CI60725), which is all acrylates too

Sorry, I wish I could see any oils or flower extracts here.

Ive started to use nitrile gloves too, not only for future possible problems, but also 'cos I keep filing my own gelish off by accident when removing a clients nails!!:o

Ive started to use nitrile gloves too, not only for future possible problems, but also 'cos I keep filing my own gelish off by accident when removing a clients nails!!:o
I always use gloves too, and sometimes mask. Because clients have their nails done once a month, and we are taking chemical and dust bath every day.

Last edited:
I have an allergy to gelish , but I'm fine with shellac & brisa .

Mine also manifests with a skin reaction ,

Yours may be the start of overexposure , or could be over filing , wearing your nails to long or something else. Brb

I have 2 clients that have an allergy to acrylic and most gel brands but have had no issue at all with Shellac and Brisa. But I wouldn't switch brands whith out doing a patch test first to see how you react. Could be a waste if you react to them as well.

I am allergic to gelish.
I can wear ibd just gel & shellac with no problems. I do try to expose my hands to the uv after every clients set, and then scrub them thoroughly to avoid future complications. Even nitrile gloves don't completely stop the itch from doing the gelish, so I just had to put those aside. Also allergic to ibd potted soak off gels, Eco soak off pots, and some traditional gels. I can't use opi acrylic or monomer.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Thank you for all your advice geeks! I did wonder as it's the first time it's ever happened, I've been fine up to now and they seemed ok when I put them on, it's just when I've taken them off today I've noticed the slight lifting, no itch or rash or damage to the skin around my nails at all. The only thing I've changed is that I'm now using D-solve instead of acetone for removal. I don't want to take any risks at making the reaction worse so the lovely Georgie (still a little bit in awe that she took the time to speak to me!) told me to use barrier cream & nitrile gloves so I'm going to give that a try. Once my nails have healed I think I'll go and have some Shellac done, maybe on just the one nail to start with and see if that's ok before I invest.

I would imagine shellac would be fine on you, as it isn't a gel.

Maybe it is something in Gelish, causing this? You might be able to use other Gel polish. Just need to try it on 1 finger and test them.

Shame though.... poor you :(
Shellac is cured under a light, I'm confused as to how this is not considered a gel product.🤔

Shellac is cured under a light, I'm confused as to how this is not considered a gel product.🤔

This thread is 11 years old, but the distinction is shellac is a hybrid not true gel

Latest posts

Back