Gelish and buffing off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsgalore13

Reaction score
Hi geeks
So sorry for bringing this up again. But im getting so upset about this.
Gelish was and is my best gel polish to use.
We use both gelish and shellac in the salon but I prefer gelish.
Now my problem is my boss, she has me soaking it but buffing some off too.
I know myself that I must not do this but what can I do, I have to do what im told! Some of my clients nails are now not lasting.
Do you think this is because there nails are thin because of the buffing? Can it be thin nails as to why they wont last. So upset about this. Thanks for any help x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

The thinner the nail the more likely it will break. If the nail bends the gel will lift.
Why is she making you buff them? After soaking? Instead of soaking? Explain a little more. What's your boss's reasoning for this?

Laura xx

The thinner the nail the more likely it will break. If the nail bends the gel will lift.
Why is she making you buff them? After soaking? Instead of soaking? Explain a little more. What's your boss's reasoning for this?

Laura xx

Hi laura thanks for reply

ok so thinner the nail more likely the nail to break,and so then the gelish will chip?
havent got a clue,goodness knows why, suppose its time and times money, where as i am the opposite, i would rather look after the nails and do it properly!

we have to wrap each finger in foil using Acetone for a start off!! then by the time iv wrapped all 10 fingers i have to go back to the first one i wrapped and start removing!
thats how she has told me to do it. so it does not have time to soak so when i remove it hasnt had long enough to soak so i am scrapping off with orange stick and buffing the remainder off, which i really am not happy about.

i think its a time thing with her.i dont know why we can not just remove properly with proper remover also :-( x

If ur boss had any brains at all she would let you wait the required time and save herself the cost of a buffer and nail file. In the end it's cheaper and kinder to nails to wait the required time before you remove product. Try speaking to her about this. It's just an extra 5minutes and it will help.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Hi laura thanks for reply

ok so thinner the nail more likely the nail to break,and so then the gelish will chip?
havent got a clue,goodness knows why, suppose its time and times money, where as i am the opposite, i would rather look after the nails and do it properly!

we have to wrap each finger in foil using Acetone for a start off!! then by the time iv wrapped all 10 fingers i have to go back to the first one i wrapped and start removing!
thats how she has told me to do it. so it does not have time to soak so when i remove it hasnt had long enough to soak so i am scrapping off with orange stick and buffing the remainder off, which i really am not happy about.

i think its a time thing with her.i dont know why we can not just remove properly with proper remover also :-( x

Yes gelish isn't really built for strength, so it does last longer on Stronger nails.

It's ok to use acetone so long as you use cuticle oil at the end of the treatment and retail it to them. Although I can understand why you would prefer to use the full system.

It literally takes less than 5 minutes to apply a Soak Off. This is not enough time to then start removal. Scraping the nails too much will pull half the nail off, and buffing it all away is definitely going to damage the natural nail (I know you already know this I'm just backing you up)

I don't know why she thinks this will save money. Put the foils on, leave it for 15 minutes, then remove.

Do you do any other treatments? You don't have to be sat for 15 minutes doing nothing,

Laura xx

Don't go up against her alone on this; get the science on your side. Invoke the names (and knowledge) of Doug Schoon, Paul Bryson and Jim McConnell who all are very emphatic about this point. Have you shared the Nails Magazine article with her about Gel Polish removal? Nails Magazine - DEC 2012 pages 124-129 It could not be clearer - rushed removals with the wrong materials result in damaged nails. And damaged nails will result in losing customers

You could book in a treatment I between. An eye brow wax. A file and paint. Etc.

If you don't know the answer why your boss is like this then ask her. Educate her. Does she do these treatments herself? If I went for gelish and my nails got buffed like this I would not be happy, especially if I'd had them done properly else where.

Sorry I posted before I was finished.

Laura xx

Removal should be
Buff
And then wrap and soak .
Waite and then flake off /remove easily .

If ur boss had any brains at all she would let you wait the required time and save herself the cost of a buffer and nail file. In the end it's cheaper and kinder to nails to wait the required time before you remove product. Try speaking to her about this. It's just an extra 5minutes and it will help.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Hi yes you are right! i dont know why we cant just do it properly, thanks for your reply x

Yes gelish isn't really built for strength, so it does last longer on Stronger nails.

It's ok to use acetone so long as you use cuticle oil at the end of the treatment and retail it to them. Although I can understand why you would prefer to use the full system.

It literally takes less than 5 minutes to apply a Soak Off. This is not enough time to then start removal. Scraping the nails too much will pull half the nail off, and buffing it all away is definitely going to damage the natural nail (I know you already know this I'm just backing you up)

I don't know why she thinks this will save money. Put the foils on, leave it for 15 minutes, then remove.

Do you do any other treatments? You don't have to be sat for 15 minutes doing nothing,

Laura xx

hi thanks for your reply, no we just do nails,no beauty, oh so acetone to remove is ok then, i always thought you shouldnt use it!x

Don't go up against her alone on this; get the science on your side. Invoke the names (and knowledge) of Doug Schoon, Paul Bryson and Jim McConnell who all are very emphatic about this point. Have you shared the Nails Magazine article with her about Gel Polish removal? Nails Magazine - DEC 2012 pages 124-129 It could not be clearer - rushed removals with the wrong materials result in damaged nails. And damaged nails will result in losing customers

Hi wow thats brilliant thanks i didnt know about all them people and not read up on that about gel polish,thanks very much, also like i said to the other lady i always thought you shouldnt use acetone, and didnt nail harmony tell you not too!
also i always always say to my clients to use cuticle oil,does any oil penatrate through the gelish then? thanks for your help x

You could book in a treatment I between. An eye brow wax. A file and paint. Etc.

If you don't know the answer why your boss is like this then ask her. Educate her. Does she do these treatments herself? If I went for gelish and my nails got buffed like this I would not be happy, especially if I'd had them done properly else where.

Sorry I posted before I was finished.

Laura xx
yes she does them herself too! im quite horrified! x

Right every one I did my friend last night at home and I left to soak 15 mins, It came off but left like a thin bit still on like a stain kind of thing? Sorry can't explain very good. So why is it not flaking it all off! Do u need heat or something? I left it about 20 to 25 altogether because didn't want to scrape xx

Right every one I did my friend last night at home and I left to soak 15 mins, It came off but left like a thin bit still on like a stain kind of thing? Sorry can't explain very good. So why is it not flaking it all off! Do u need heat or something? I left it about 20 to 25 altogether because didn't want to scrape xx

Was it clear or still slightly coloured. Usually this is if your foundation layer isn't thin enough.
What do you do to apply foundation?
I take my brush from my bottle, wipe on the neck, and put a small (tiny!) blob of it onto each nail.
Then using a separate gel brush I go back to the first nail and start working it in, in circular motions, then pull down to smooth.
Afterwards I wipe my gel brush on couch roll to remove any excess, then dry brush over before applying my colour coat.

It's really quick but describing it takes a while lol.

Laura xx

To be honest the amount of time it will be taking you to scrape off the excess, you may as well just leave the wraps on for the required time!!! What is wrong with this woman? Haha.
I would personally just leave the wraps on next time, it's your reputation at stake too, not just the salons ;) Hope you get it sorted xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Was it clear or still slightly coloured. Usually this is if your foundation layer isn't thin enough.
What do you do to apply foundation?
I take my brush from my bottle, wipe on the neck, and put a small (tiny!) blob of it onto each nail.
Then using a separate gel brush I go back to the first nail and start working it in, in circular motions, then pull down to smooth.
Afterwards I wipe my gel brush on couch roll to remove any excess, then dry brush over before applying my colour coat.

It's really quick but describing it takes a while lol.

Laura xx
hi laura!

It was still kind of pink, it was gossip girl that she had on, so i left it the correct time and was still like a pink colour, but that sounds a good way that you do thank you, was just a bit miffed that i did it correctly and it wasnt coming off easily but like you say may be that i hadnt done my foundation thin enough, but i always make sure i do it really thin.
When i apply foundation i really wipe the brush and sort of scrub it into the nail, cure and dry brush sometimes not all times on everyone.xx

To be honest the amount of time it will be taking you to scrape off the excess, you may as well just leave the wraps on for the required time!!! What is wrong with this woman? Haha.
I would personally just leave the wraps on next time, it's your reputation at stake too, not just the salons ;) Hope you get it sorted xxxx

Hi!
Yes your right, i know what is wrong with her ha ha! you are spot on there it is my reputation too, it really really annoys me that she cuts corners, to be honest i wish i could go off on my own!
My nerves stop me though! thanks for your help xx

Hi!
Yes your right, i know what is wrong with her ha ha! you are spot on there it is my reputation too, it really really annoys me that she cuts corners, to be honest i wish i could go off on my own!
My nerves stop me though! thanks for your help xx

Also just another quick tip...

Don't wrap the nails for too long, because this can also cause problems as the acetone can evaporate and the Gelish will re-harden. So when you wrap...

File the free edge and and take any length off the nails if they're having them shorter (as the tips are always the moay stubborn part, so if you can remove that by cutting or filing the free edge 1st, then bonus)

Then some people lightly buff the topcoat (I don't unless I've used 2 coats because pf art or glitter etc).

Apply a small amount of cotton wool to one finger (I normally start at little finger on left hand - also the thinner the cotton wool the better because if it's too thick the acetone will just remain in the cotton wool rather than saturating the nail) and wrap tightly in foil (but try not to squeeze too tight or you'll squeeze out all excess acetone).

Then look at what time you've applied that one. Continue all 9 fingers the same and then go back to the 1st finger after that one has been on 10 mins and check, if it needs a little longer... re-wrap for a few minutes. And continue with the rest of the nails!

You shouldn't have to soak any lomger than a maximum of 15 minutes.

Hope you get it sorted ;) xxx

Let us know if you manage to convince get and how you get on xx

Laura xx

Latest posts

Back