Gelish and striping tape?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs001

Reaction score
Is striping tape incompatible with gelish? Mine is lifting at the corners, I've tried putting it on the colour coat, then TIO, I've tried putting on the TIO after cure and wipe, I've tried two coats of TIO! Has anyone managed this or is it just not compatible? Really wanted a design for a weekend away but the corners of the tape keep lifting then I can pull the whole strip off easily even with TIO! It's annoying me as I know I won't keep normal varnish on all weekend 😒

make sure the tape is cut before the edge of the nail , i would clense inhabition off stick it then 2nd top coat .

make sure the tape is cut before the edge of the nail , i would clense inhabition off stick it then 2nd top coat .

Tried that😔 it's sticking and laying flat in the middle but the edges of the tape are just curling up, I've tried laying them in longer then TIO and cutting and tried cutting to correct size, but still just curling up on the edges. Might pop a bit of glue on the edges 😒

I have not had any luck with striping tape with either my Shellac or Gelish. No matter the method I use, as soon as I top coat the tape peels up.

have you tried giving the layer your sticking to a light buff?

or you could use a blob of structure .

I tried everything bar welding it to my nails when I attempted to use striping tape with shellac. Absolutely nothing worked and I've given up with it now.

Have you tried a tiny it of foil glue? I've only used tape once and that's what I did for the ends, then did tiny bit of top coat gently swiped the way of the tape, cured then I did a proper top coat, worked for my daughter, tho it was just fr a weekend event and we changed it to plain after 4 days for her work.

I've been wanting to do this too but was wondering same thing. I saw a video where they did a coat of the colour of the stripe first then applied the striping tape before applying a darker colour then removing the striping tape so you are left with the striping effect but without the tape. If that makes sense! Guess it would only work if you are using a dark colour on top. Has anyone else tried this method?x

If I try to stick it with TIO or the colour it just curls away from the nail. I've tried to buff but it still curls right at the ends. I even tried a bit of normal top coat to see if it would stick it down but no joy. Think I will Defo try a dab of glue on colour coat then top coat. Let you know if it works, the good thing tho is I could put a bit of contrasting varnish in the groove it left behind then clean it up a bit but it's not nice and shiny like the tape 😞

I saw a video where they did a coat of the colour of the stripe first then applied the striping tape before applying a darker colour then removing the striping tape so you are left with the striping effect but without the tape. If that makes sense! Guess it would only work if you are using a dark colour on top. Has anyone else tried this method?x

This is a great idea which I will have a go at. Presumably you leave a little bit of tape overhanging the free edge so you can grip it and pull it off.

This is a great idea which I will have a go at. Presumably you leave a little bit of tape overhanging the free edge so you can grip it and pull it off.

Yes they left a bit on the skin to make it easy to gently pull it off. I haven't tried it yet so don't know how it will turn out but they used lots of different bright colours just splashed on (with a coat of white underneath to make the colours stand out) and then black over the top so the stripes had a lovely rainbow effect. I can't find the video! If I do I will post it.x

I had that problem with cheap tape, tried with better quality tape and it works better.

Having this problem at the moment on my own nails just like the thread starter and my clients want this done.

Did the glue work???

Where can u get good quality really sticky tape??

I haven't tried glue yet but tried it with normal varnish, a few nails still peeled up at the ends (tape from fleabay so that may be the problem), shame cos it looks nice when I do it and sticky but after an hour or do just starts peeling up, put top coat on too :(

Glad this thread came up as I had this exact problem today with striping tape. I like the idea of painting over it and pulling it off, would love to see the video. ;)

I tried a brush in glue at the ends and it did help, I also spied a seriously thick amount of top coat gel this definitely is the only way well for cheap tape anyway. Looks fab but very thick nail now.

Does anyone have any tips for studs?? I find they dont last either I got 3 days and I one is off. Thick top coat as well :( it's because they are shiny and gel doesn't like that, yet gel loves rhinestones?!

Does anyone have any tips for studs?? I find they dont last either I got 3 days and I one is off. Thick top coat as well :( it's because they are shiny and gel doesn't like that, yet gel loves rhinestones?!

Personally I haven't tried studs but I always use glue for my crystals

I've used striping tape with shellac no problems. Maybe it's not sticky enough?

I've also done the method of striping tape, paint over then remove. I cured the nail before removing the tape and whilst it looked incredibly neat and straight, it left the rest of the shellac raised if that makes sense? So I wasn't keen....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've used striping tape with shellac no problems. Maybe it's not sticky enough?

I've also done the method of striping tape, paint over then remove. I cured the nail before removing the tape and whilst it looked incredibly neat and straight, it left the rest of the shellac raised if that makes sense? So I wasn't keen....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yeah thats what I was worried about, it leaving a ridge. Really like the shiny look when it's done just annoying the ends lift :(

Latest posts

Back