Gelish hard Gel, answers needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
Hi ya'll
I've done my extension course, passed! woop woop
Anyhoo I disliked the product given to me for the course so I've got a pot of GHG and I'm getting on with it better.

I've done 4 sets of sculptured nails, 2 on me, one on a freind (yes they were hideous :D) and another on a paying client on sat (but she knew I was still in practice mode, so she got a big discount)

She sent me a FB message saying one "pinged off", so I'm thinking it's most likley my fault as I'm new to this. If i give a run down on what i did can someone check that I'm going the right way about it please xx

Sculptured nails with GHG:
Wash and sanitize hands, Usual prep, cuticle work, file nails, buff nail bed (I didn't go mental), use d-sperse.

Put form on
Ph bond
Pro Bond
Create the free edge with GHG
cure
apply thin layer over nail bed
cure
take larger bead of gel to build the body, put it on the centre of nail bed and work it towards the cuticle area, bringing it round to the sides and down towards the free edge in a circular floating motion (I was trying to keep the brush in contact with the gel at all times but it was hard).
cure
possible use another smaller bead in case the apex is not high enough or there is a dip
cure
take form off and wipe with d-sperse
then file
topcoat :D

Does this sound about right?
I'm thinking, maybe i didn't make the lady's nails thick enough so thats why one pinged off or i might have got some on a bit of skin.

There's a definate skill to this :eek:

Last edited:
Hi ya'll
I've done my extension course, passed! woop woop
Anyhoo I disliked the product given to me for the course so I've got a pot of GHG and I'm getting on with it better.

I've done 4 sets of sculptured nails, 2 on me, one on a freind (yes they were hideous :D) and another on a paying client on sat (but she knew I was still in practice mode, so she got a big discount)

She sent me a FB message saying one "pinged off", so I'm thinking it's most likley my fault as I'm new to this. If i give a run down on what i did can someone check that I'm going the right way about it please xx

Sculptured nails with GHG:
Wash and sanitize hands, Usual prep, cuticle work, file nails, buff nail bed (I didn't go mental), use d-sperse.

Put form on
Ph bond
Pro Bond
Create the free edge with GHG
cure
apply thin layer over nail bed
cure
take larger bead of gel to build the body, put it on the centre of nail bed and work it towards the cuticle area, bringing it round to the sides and down towards the free edge in a circular floating motion (I was trying to keep the brush in contact with the gel at all times but it was hard).
cure
possible use another smaller bead in case the apex is not high enough or there is a dip
cure
take form off and wipe with d-sperse
then file

Does this sound about right?
I'm thinking, maybe i didn't make the lady's nails thick enough so thats why one pinged off or i might have got some on a bit of skin.

There's a definate skill to this :eek:

Just a quick thought, I'm in a rush... try using scrub fresh instead of d-sperse after removing the shine from the natural nail.

D-sperse is just IA, to remove the inhibition layer of gel. You need to use something like Scrubfresh to ensure everything is removed from the nail plate xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a quick thought, I'm in a rush... try using scrub fresh instead of d-sperse after removing the shine from the natural nail.

D-sperse is just IA, to remove the inhibition layer of gel. You need to use something like Scrubfresh to ensure everything is removed from the nail plate xxx

Oh i thought scrubfresh was another version of d-sperse or iso prop alcohol ?

So scrubfresh is a different thing all together?

Oh i thought scrubfresh was another version of d-sperse or iso prop alcohol ?

So scrubfresh is a different thing all together?

No hun d-sperse is the iso prop. Scrubfresh totally cleans the nail plate and removes prepares it perfectly for any enhancements. I use it with Gelish instead of gelish cleanse. It's fab. Any problems i had stopped when i started using scrubfresh in my pep ;) Xxx

No hun d-sperse is the iso prop. Scrubfresh totally cleans the nail plate and removes prepares it perfectly for any enhancements. I use it with Gelish instead of gelish cleanse. It's fab. Any problems i had stopped when i started using scrubfresh in my pep ;) Xxx

ooooh looks like i need this one in me life, thanks Glamour xxx

ooooh looks like i need this one in me life, thanks Glamour xxx

It's amazing. You'll wonder how you ever coped without it lol xxx

BTW Glamoureyes, does my method of applying the gel and building the nail seam ok to you?

Do you do it a similar way?

BTW Glamoureyes, does my method of applying the gel and building the nail seam ok to you?

Do you do it a similar way?

I don't use GHG hun and am just starting back out with BLSc Gel again after training years ago. But yes the method seems fine to me hun apart from the prep. Just make sure you see a nice little curve to your apex.

Hopefully someone more experienced in sculpting will come along with some advice :)

But my advice is just scrubfresh in your prep ;)

P.s. well done for passing hun :D xxx

Well done on passing! :biggrin:

As Glamoureyes says, you need to scrubfresh the nail plate thoroughly to remove any contaminates and dehydrate the nail plates prior to product application :wink2:

And topcoat x

Well done on passing! :biggrin:

As Glamoureyes says, you need to scrubfresh the nail plate thoroughly to remove any contaminates and dehydrate the nail plates prior to product application :wink2:

And topcoat x

Oh yes i did do the topcoat (forgot to mention that bit :o)

More of a question really as I am still training on enhancements (and much prefer liquid and powder!) but would you not place a thin layer all over natural nail and extension edge first? Also do you not remove form before building? I thought a double cure was needed one without the form. But

More of a question really as I am still training on enhancements (and much prefer liquid and powder!) but would you not place a thin layer all over natural nail and extension edge first? Also do you not remove form before building? I thought a double cure was needed one without the form. But

So you mean thin layer over natural nail and sculpt out free edge, cure then take form off and build with a thicker second layer?

I think if you're using clear forms it doesn't matter when you remove them, but if they're foil ones (which 'ideally' they shouldn't be for gel, then you need to remove after sculpting your free edge and applying a thin layer all over. This will give the underneath of your free edge chance to cure when you cure your builder layer ;) I hope that makes sense lol xxx

So you mean thin layer over natural nail and sculpt out free edge, cure then take form off and build with a thicker second layer?

So It says here in my text book lol- but- as I say could be totally wrong lol!

Makes sense to me about clear forms not mattering thou :)

I always thought with gel it was a thin base layer whichever method of extending, prob not your method is was one. Had a lady loose a whole nail this week but def was my prep as the hole thing came off- must have missed a bond..... Oooooops xx

Hi

Can I ask was it the Gelish Hard Gel course you did (and passed) or was it another brand, as I wasn't sure from your post.

Where are the nails breaking - or are they just coming straight off?

This can tell us a lot! If they are 'just pinging off' ...this doesn't 'just' happen try and find out what the client was doing at the time.

It would suggest to me there was adhesion problems if the enhancement as a whole popped off.....ask the client to come back and asses the other nails and look for any damage on the Nail Plate of the missing nail to see if it was 'helped' off.

Do you have any pictures of how you are 'building' the structure of your nail.

Which Gelish Hard Gel are you building with?

A barrel shot and a side view of the apex would be good, from that I can see if your working too thin/not putting enough structure into your enhancement.

You 'should' be using Nail Harmony Nail Surface Cleanse in your prep and to remove your inhibition layer not swapping brands also :D

If you did do your training with Nail Harmony of course...you will get full backup support from your educator :wink2:

Post some pics which will give a clearer picture of what could be going wrong.

Thanks for the help guys. I did buy some clear forms from NSI but they were horrid as they didn't stick well, but I'll try that method, thin layer and form off xx

Hi

Can I ask was it the Gelish Hard Gel course you did (and passed) or was it another brand, as I wasn't sure from your post.

This can tell us a lot! If they are 'just pinging off' ...this doesn't 'just' happen try and find out what the client was doing at the time.

It would suggest to me there was adhesion problems if the enhancement as a whole popped off.....ask the client to come back and asses the other nails and look for any damage on the Nail Plate of the missing nail to see if it was 'helped' off.

A barrel shot and a side view of the apex would be good, from that I can see if your working too thin/not putting enough structure into your enhancement.

You 'should' be using Nail Harmony Nail Surface Cleanse in your prep and to remove your inhibition layer not swapping brands also :D

If you did do your training with Nail Harmony of course...you will get full backup support from your educator :wink2:

My course was done with another product and trainer, nothing to do with harmony.

I've asked for a pic of the nail but she's coming to see me on wed, so will get pics then.

I'm using Gelish dark pink builder. It was given to me by my trainer because she didn't have a pot of the pink gel in her brand as they hadn't arrived in the post yet.

I'll defo get some pics on wednesday so you can have a look. x

Thanks for the help guys. I did buy some clear forms from NSI but they were horrid as they didn't stick well, but I'll try that method, thin layer and form off xx

Try the harmony ones claire- they are super sticky yikes! But not clear :-/ good luck x

Hi

I was taught on my GHG course to use gelish foundation after ph bond and that the pro bond was no longer needed.

Can you confirm that this is correct?

Hi

The correct procedure is prep..PH Bond and PRO BOND for GHG

Thanks

Latest posts

Back