Gelish & Operations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattyj

Reaction score
Hi, I had a client today having Gelish on toes and fingers for her hols, when she comes back she is having an operation to remove her thyroid gland and was asking if she needed to have the Gelish removed beforehand, I always thought all enamels, gels, acrylics etc needed to be removed for an operation but it has been years since I had one so wondered if anyone here could help me?

I think it depends on the hospital however few of my clients had to have their bio removed before any ops as the nails are the first thing to show if any difficulties arise during surgery. They also attach the reader thing(not sure what it's called) to the finger.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I did tell her that I didnt think she would be allowed cos I thought they checked the colour of the finger nails when any problems arise, maybe she just needs to ring the hospital!

i had an op last month and it says on my forms no enhancements etc but there was a woman next to me with gel enhancements and another in my ward with normal polish and both had had ops unless they put some kind of gloves over them for people that forget or 'forget'

she is best calling and asking beforehand x

Thank you NyahzNailz, my client did say maybe she could just put gloves over them but I thought it was more about checking the colour of the nails during the op, i'll get her to ring the hospital to be sure x

I had a client recently who had to remove Bio as they used fingers to check circulation (I think!), by pressing them and making sure blood came back to surface x

Thank you Daisydo, I have text her to advise her that she will most probably have to remove, thank you for all your replies geeks x

Capillary refill is checked using the nail. Also if their monitors are the same as ours it can intefere with readings measuring oxygen levels in the blood.

I'd rather have bare nails if I was having an op, so I could be monitored using the fastest and simplest methods. :)

Capillary refill is checked using the nail. Also if their monitors are the same as ours it can intefere with readings measuring oxygen levels in the blood.

I'd rather have bare nails if I was having an op, so I could be monitored using the fastest and simplest methods. :)

Yes me too, for the sake of having it removed I would rather that and be safe during the op! I have text her to advise best to remove and she is happy with that, thanks for reply x

The reasons why...
If a person has a low oxygen level, their nail beds turn purple/blue (well purplish/bluish). Also, as someone else noted, proper circulation can also be checked. So, the nails are relied on for medical indicators.

Hospitals often use a finger monitor & enhancements can interfere with the accuracy.

So, it's not "unsafe" to have them on, but rather easier to verify any recovery issues... If it was my life, I'd take them off.

She could ask the doctor if she needs to take them all off, or take only 1 nail off on each hand?

HTH!

Hi

I am a trained nurse and i would advise your client to take polish off. As post op she will have her vital signs recoreded and a device is put on her finger to find her oxygen levels, if polish, gel is on it can give an inacurate reading! We recently had a patient in with shellac and we found it a night mare to try and get it off one finger to get a good reading. Also as someone mentioned earlier we look for hypoxia which is when toes and fingers go a blue colour. So defo worth taking it off.

Hope this helps

Hi

I am a trained nurse and i would advise your client to take polish off. As post op she will have her vital signs recoreded and a device is put on her finger to find her oxygen levels, if polish, gel is on it can give an inacurate reading! We recently had a patient in with shellac and we found it a night mare to try and get it off one finger to get a good reading. Also as someone mentioned earlier we look for hypoxia which is when toes and fingers go a blue colour. So defo worth taking it off.

Hope this helps

Thank you - I did advise her not a good idea to wait until she was in hospital because removal will be a nightmare without the proper products! She is happy to have it removed so is coming back to me before the op.

Latest posts

Back