Gelish with plastic tip; how to? Yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynn amber

Reaction score
Hi im new to nails ,i do gelish ,just wondering if I use tips on someone do I have to blend them in and what if its a coloured tip purple for example,i will apply foundation then structure and so on ,any thought no this and how it will last etc thanks

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Bump anyone :)

I wouldn't use Gelish over tips, its not what it was intended for.

Structure gel is great for adding extra stength to natural nails but it is very flexible and not strong enough to use as an enhancement gel.

If I wanted to add a couple of exta mm's to a broken corner or repair a split, I would use fibreglass and structure.

If you want to extend the nails with a tip, look into Gelish Hard Gel.

When I did my harmony training the trainer did say briefly that this could be done :-D

Hi

Your trainer may have meant just a few mm.. in length .. as structure only provides a bit of added strenght to already weakened natural nails and well gelish is a soak of gel polish .. you would not get the desired apex and strength over a tip..

if you are extending over a tip then you shoudl really use a harder gel..

xx

Ive used Gelish over tips several times, both to lenghten a broken nail to fit the others, or for full set enhancements. I usually only use Gelish to do this either when the nails are not meant to last long and the client is not going to come in for a rebalance, so they can be easily removed or on super chewed up nails that the hard gel has problems sticking to.

I did one girls nails today with Gelish over tips. She is trying to stop biting her nails but had a terrible setback the other day and wanted something to cover it up. I used Gelish because then in 2-3 weeks time I can soak them off in 20 min and apply normal Gelish since her nails will have recovered some in that time:)

Contrary to some people belief on here the Gelish structure is actually pretty darn strong:p I myself have worn ca 1 cm enhancements with tips and structure for 2 weeks and none had broken or looked bad in any way.

Just make sure since the gel is very thin that you are able to make a good apex. I usually brush a medium layer of it over the entire nail, then take a bigger bead on my brush and put it in the apex are and just even it out a tiny little bit with my brush before putting it in the lamp. It will self-settle very fast.

Hope this helps:)

Thanks that halps a lot I don't really want to get into hard gel I will if I have to ,just want to be able to give I little bit of length if needed on someone,like u said a biter,if u say that thay can still last 2 + weeks then that would be amazing then I can just soak off as normal,just don't want to be doing infills and rebalances is that bad. hair is my main thing, has anyone else done this ?:-D

Thanks that halps a lot I don't really want to get into hard gel I will if I have to ,just want to be able to give I little bit of length if needed on someone,like u said a biter,if u say that thay can still last 2 + weeks then that would be amazing then I can just soak off as normal,just don't want to be doing infills and rebalances is that bad. hair is my main thing, has anyone else done this ?:-D

Do you have any nail enhancement training or just mani pedi / gelish? xxx

we were taught how to use Gelish over tips in our traning. BUT it was only to fix a broken nail of a few mm. Have you done the Harmony Gelish training? If not, I'd recommend doing it as they teach you how to do it, if you have then give your trainer a call and they'll go through it with you. After all, its what you paid for in your training...also after training help/advice. :)
xx

I don't use gelish but just a thought. You could put the tip on, apply a line of gelish across the nail on the stress area and cure then proceed as normal. That should hold them even better x

Yes I have mani pedi and gelish training,she did briefly say that u can use tip if u use the structure at the training and showed me how to do the structure ,just wanted to see what every one else though ,do u think I need a certificat just to apply a tip even though I am using a product I am trained in ,worked along side a very good acrylic tec for 6yrs and she pretty much tought me everything she knew although im not doing acrylics have worked in hair and beauty for over 14 yrs so have picked up a lot :-/

Yes I have mani pedi and gelish training,she did briefly say that u can use tip if u use the structure at the training and showed me how to do the structure ,just wanted to see what every one else though ,do u think I need a certificat just to apply a tip even though I am using a product I am trained in ,worked along side a very good acrylic tec for 6yrs and she pretty much tought me everything she knew although im not doing acrylics have worked in hair and beauty for over 14 yrs so have picked up a lot :-/

If you are going to be blending tips then you need to know how to do it correctly. If you over blend you're clients nails will be damaged. So its a case of being competent.

I dont know what an insurance company would say though.

Have you considered using fibreglass with the structure to add strength? I think you are more likely to get a couple of weeks out of a tip or sculpt with fibreglass and structure than structure on its own. Its also easy to apply, cheap and great to have for nail repairs.

Will that what I was asking to do u have to blend ie if it is a coloured tip ,but to get a certificate to do tips I would have to do a course for gel of something ,even though my trainer said it was ok to do :-D

Coloured tips wouldnt need blending. Why not give your insurance company a call. That way you would know if you were covered or not. xx

Ye I will phone them and my trainer too thanks for all your advice ,would like to know if anyone has done this though :-D

I've tried everything at least once...I have put nail tips on myself and applied Gelish (just color) over the tips. They were very short, just over the tip of my finger. I was too lazy to do an overlay with HG. I was quite surprised at how long they lasted especially because my day job I work in a hospital. I wash my hands several times a day and I'm also moving patients as well. My nails are through hell and back everyday. They didn't feel really as strong as they would with a overlay but it was a quick fix. I used half well tips and blended. I applied Foundation, cured, then 3 layers of color, curing between each, then 2 layers of TIO. My stress area felt weak, but i still wore them for about 2 weeks before breaking one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

This is good :-D waiting for my trainer to reply to a email before I call insurance ,keep I coming though :-D

Update the insurance say yes its fine :-D

Ive used Gelish over tips several times, both to lenghten a broken nail to fit the others, or for full set enhancements. I usually only use Gelish to do this either when the nails are not meant to last long and the client is not going to come in for a rebalance, so they can be easily removed or on super chewed up nails that the hard gel has problems sticking to.

I did one girls nails today with Gelish over tips. She is trying to stop biting her nails but had a terrible setback the other day and wanted something to cover it up. I used Gelish because then in 2-3 weeks time I can soak them off in 20 min and apply normal Gelish since her nails will have recovered some in that time:)

Contrary to some people belief on here the Gelish structure is actually pretty darn strong:p I myself have worn ca 1 cm enhancements with tips and structure for 2 weeks and none had broken or looked bad in any way.

Just make sure since the gel is very thin that you are able to make a good apex. I usually brush a medium layer of it over the entire nail, then take a bigger bead on my brush and put it in the apex are and just even it out a tiny little bit with my brush before putting it in the lamp. It will self-settle very fast.

Hope this helps:)

Like your post, I tip if needed to without probs ( only working length tho ) Gelish can be used like a power polish or if built correctly it can be good strong gel, very versatile ! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back