Gellux and it's removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonbeam

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started using gellux and am having trouble removing the product - it says leave for about 10 - 15 mins which I am doing but the gellux just don't seem to move very well so I leave it for a while longer but then my nails start to dry out and almost shrink a bit do to the acetone.. last time it took around an hour to removed it all... any top tips.. thanks

I use Shellac. It is the ONLY one i found that really does come off in 10 min. I've used two other gel/polish brands and I had that same problem. Shellac is more expensive, but I find that it really is the easiest to get off. Now with the new colors and layering, lots of colors to choose from.

I have tried 7 different brands. They all came off in 10 minutes. The only difference with Shellac is that you don't have to buff the top coat first. Make sure you break the seal of the topcoat of your gelux before you apply the acetone wrap.

Hi,
I had the same problem. I followed all instruction but I was struggling to remove Gellux from my nails. I buffed off the top coat and soaked my nails in Profile Soak off gel Remover (Salonsystem) but it didn't work. I had to file it off.

Thanks for the replies... I too ended up filing and scrapping off with an orange woodstick and I know that isn't good for my nails.

Next time I try and take the gellux off I am going to be sure to remove the top coat and wrap tightly in the foil - perhaps my foil was to loose.

Akol, did you take the gellux course and if so how long did it take for your certificate to come through as I took the course 4½ weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived :-(

I didn't take a Gellux course. I wanted to try this system because I was using similar gel polish from Millenium Nails before (I didn't have any problems to remove that polish) and I wanted to campare these two brands.
I think I will take Shellac course.

interesting info about gellux. I recently did a course on Gellux and thought it was amazin until we got to removal of the gel...............what a nightmare!!! ended up trying to scratch the gel off using an orange stick. this was after soaking cotton pads in the proper remover wrapped with foil. I was so disappointed that I didnt buy the Gellux product. Even the trainer had difficulty removing the gel! There is no way I would risk applyin Gellux on a client then 'trying' to remove it when she returns. A sad Bear Puppy :sad:

Is it really that bad? I am doing the course soon and now I am having second thoughts.:sad:

I did the Gellux course and was really excited by the product and bought loads of different colours and promoted it to all my friends but then I started to find the removal process was taking much longer than it should, sometimes it would take 40 mins! I thought I must be doing something wrong. When I was on holiday in Spain I went to a salon to have my Gellux removed and even they had trouble and was convinced that no base coat had been applied but obviously I knew it had. They recommended Shellac so I tried it and it does come off in 10 mins, its much much easier that Gellux.

Gellux is awful - I started off with it, lasts really well and looks great but no matter what I did I couldn't get the stuff off.
I ended up damaging a clients nail cos even after 40 mins soaking it just wouldn't come off and then reading the reviews on it I wasn't the only one.

Instead I purchased shellac, u can't beat it!
The only thing I now use gellux for Is the white tip on a French gel manicure cos its the best iv found out of all the products.

I just wrote this in another post but it might help here ....

I use Gelish, but I find a little heat really speeds up the process, try using some heated mitts or warm towels places over the clients hands, not to hot though just warm, and make sure that your foil is wrapped tight so the acetone isn't evaporating. I also find this method stops the client wanting to bend her fingers which loosens the foils.

Hope this helps :)

Apparently there is a new gellux "easy off base" now

I use gellux and haven't had any real probs removing it.

I use acetone in little foil packages, wrap them tightly and I then have two wheat bags which I heat in the microwave and then pop the clients hands on them and fold over, 10 mins later take one finger of at a time, remove foil and use a orange stick to remove, normally I get it all off with no problems.

Sorry forgot the pic of the wheat bags, these are fab as really long and nice to fold under and over clients hands and they like the relaxing smell too.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349634056.386152.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349634056.386152.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,738
I've recently just purchase gelux got the prep and base/top coat and bought my first colour silver glitter now I've been reading about your post on had removals how would people recommended getting it of acrylic extensions ?? Would you just buff of so you do not damage the extension ?

I have been using Gellux since Feb and at first had difficulty with the removal, tried a few different ways but I bought some cheap cotton lint free pads from lidl as was in a rush and didn't have time to get to wholesaler, did the removal with these and came off so easily, I was amazed!!, I think that because the pads are quite thin they don't absorb the Gellux remover therefore it sits on the nail better wrapped in foil, I then put mitts on and wrap in a towel and it comes off in 10 mins. I have stocked up since on the 59p pads x

Latest posts

Back