Genius or mad idea re: my flat for business premises?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
my partner has asked me and my 2 daughters to move in with him, which we'd love to do :)

i currently have a 2 bed mortgaged flat which im reluctant to sell for several reasons

* preferrably, id like to hold on to it in case the relationship doesnt work out (being over cautious due to previous messy breakup where was left homeless)
* i want to keep the flat as a long term investment for my daughters
* would have problems selling it at the moment, due to low lease .. need to raise the money to extend the lease and its not going to be cheap!! but will worth it in long run when i do

i have been thinking of all sorts of scenarios from selling, to letting out, to letting for holidays (lots of tourists come in the summer) to just leaving empty .. at the same time ive also thinking renting premises to run my lash and nails business but despairing at the high rental cost locally - then my daughter sugested perhaps i could turn part of the flat into a bedsit, there is a large lounge with kitchen just off it to help with mortgage and put locks on the other doors and use one room for doing lashes and the other for a small workshop for her - she's very artistic and hopes to start a graphic design business when she finishes uni. eventually she could rent the bedsit herself

we're on the 2nd floor of 6 flat block, its neat and tidy we have a communal garden area, intercom and one parking space .. plus i dont drive, so could walk here and lash client or daughters client could park in the space.

im assuming would have to let the council and mortgage people know, but what do you think ? as i type its reminded of a friend who i know rents a room to make her jewellery from in a womans house and this was sugested by a business advisor so must be a possibility re; council etc to do it, no different from having a home salon i guess except im not living there

wouldnt be a problem with renting also, my daughter has already mentioned to couple of her friends who would love the chance to move out without having to pay mindblowing rent that is charged locally

plus love the idea of paying my mortgage rather than dead rental money to someone for the use of their premises when i have my own

I think that sounds great if you can sort out the logistics im sure it will work fine :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

thank you amber
i was so proud when i was able to raise the deposit and buy my own flat after my husband left us with nothing, just dont want to let it go .. plus ideal for my daughter to have her own space when she leaves uni in cpl years
would prob only have 2-3 clients for lashes a day so not as if people coming and going the whole time

Sounds good to me :) id say go for it! Xx

It sounds ideal! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back