Genuine opinions required please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulaJayne1976

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I'm training currently and all set to qualify in May this year.
I'm hugely eager to learn and have a few friends already in the industry but am getting some conflicting info 😚

I have one friend who has been in the industry for some years and is very successful who has advised I do the 1 day training course for OPI Colorgel which I've booked for April this year.

I have two other friends who can't recommend shellac enough and obviously I know it's massively popular because of its quality and finish.

Do I do the shellac training as well as the OPI or not?

Thanks guys

Xxx

I'm trained in gellux so I'm giving you my own opinion from what I've seen and heard on here...
Shellac is without doubt the best investment you will make, but you need to be trained properly, not at a local academy who only give you an attendance certificate.
I honestly believe you will love it much more than opi.
Opi are doing a fab offer on training with free kit which I have booked myself on, because I don't think you can ever learn too much and I am interested in another system.

If money wasn't an option and there was training nearer then shellac would be my first choice.
There's lots and lots of threads about all the systems on here, you should definitely do a search. It will take you hours but will teach you loads!!

Hope that's helped in some way!!
Good luck xx

Hi geeks

I'm training currently and all set to qualify in May this year.
I'm hugely eager to learn and have a few friends already in the industry but am getting some conflicting info 😚

I have one friend who has been in the industry for some years and is very successful who has advised I do the 1 day training course for OPI Colorgel which I've booked for April this year.

I have two other friends who can't recommend shellac enough and obviously I know it's massively popular because of its quality and finish.

Do I do the shellac training as well as the OPI or not?

Thanks guys

Xxx

If you look around on the threads you will see that as always, there is an awful lot happening at CND right now .. with the introduction of new products and in particular the new soak-off Brisa Lite Sculpting gel ... the first enhancement gel ever that requires no buffing of the natural nail ... just like Shellac and Brisa Lite soak-off Smoothing Gel.

All these new innovations have started on the back of Shellac technology which also requires no natural nail buffing. They are also 3 free and hypoallergenic and I think if ladies are offered the chance to have these gels (which offer various strength options) and Shellac and the promise of no nail damage, that that it is going to be a huge plus and a unique selling point for these products.

So If you can afford to do both then I would but if you can choose one I know which one I would go for. :lol:

Shellac changed everything for me, i just wish id got it sooner! even though i also do bio sculpture majority of my clients have shellac and more and more of my bio clients are converting to shellac and loving it. Even my clients who shellac is not quite strong enough for they prefer the feel and look of shellac to everything else and would much prefer to have shellac and get their nails done more often! that says it all really xx

I've trained in Shellac and I love it. I will recommend it to anyone. Money well spent for me on the training course, when my customers try it for the first time they are amazed of the quality and finish and how long the shine lasts. Even after 2 weeks they look freshly done apart from a bit of regrowth. And when it is removed from their nails customers are amazed again when they see the condition of their nails!!! Shellac all the way!

Thank you ladies 😄

You confirmed my thoughts and backed up what I thought was probably the best thing to do 😄
Thanks for all your help and advice as always.

Xxx

I've already booked myself in for the OPI Gelcolour workshop but I plan to also do the shellac workshop. I was planning on offering two choices but since CND are going to be launching Brisa lite, which I am SUPER excited about, I plan on just offering Shellac. I will still attend the OPI workshop because I think you can never learn enough but I will just be offering Shellac.

Hi Melissab

That's what I'm thinking also.
I'm booked on the OPI Colorgel on 15th April but it was a bargain at the price so thought it would be another skill even if I chose to go with Shellac 😊

Xxx

I'm doing the OPI workshop at the end of the month. It was a great deal and I can't pass up a bargain. I've already tried Shellac and Gelish but I have not tried OPI. I figured this was a great way for me to try it and get some extra education.

By the sounds of it every geek will have been on the opi course by the end if the year but doesn't actually seem like anyone's interested in offering it...oops lol

Shellac and Gel Polishes are very different. In theory they seem the same but they are not.

If I were you I would have a Shellac treatment and an OPI treatment done on yourself and see for yourself the difference between the 2. This is the only way you will understand the difference.

They are both applied in almost the same way with maybe a little difference in the prep of the nail. The gel polish will offer more strength when both products are used alone but the Shellac looks more like normal polish.

Try both and make an educated decision.:wink2:

Hi jigglyb411

I haven't tried any og the gel polish or shellac yet so I'm open minded 😊
I think judging from people's comments, my own knowledge so far and friends in the industry, it can only be a positive to train in both 😊
At least this way it's 2 well known brands to be able to offer and an even wider choice of colours to chose from 😊
I'm just eager to learn as much as I can as I think it's important to be as versatile as possible in the industry.

I'm finding the help I get here on SG massively helpful and can't thank you all enough

Xxx

I definitely think it can only be good to train in both, I think you are right :)

My post about training in opi wasn't aimed directly to anyone, as I said I am booked on it too! Lol
But reading comments on here and other posts It seems most of us are booked on as its inexpensive extra training which can only be beneficial (if done well) but I think Capital may have sold themselves short with the free kit maybe? It's a brill offer so the response to it has been immense! X

It's a fantastic offer that couldn't really be missed as you say :)

I'm not booked on till 15th April but cant wait 😃

Xxx

Hi PaulaJayne!

I can see you have been weighing up your options, which is very sensible, and you have been given some great testimonials for Shellac on here. Some might say that mine is a biased opinion, but when I took on Shellac, I stopped having to market my business - clients came and found me. This was SO exciting that I quite literally fell in love with Shellac and THAT is why I applied to become a Shellac Education Ambassador. If it wasn't a great and different product, I wouldn't have been passionate enough about it to take that leap. :)

To ANYONE considering taking a Shellac course, PLEASE make sure you do the CND-approved training, with an educator authorised by Sweet Squared. Our Shellac Brings Them Back course (for qualified manicurists only) costs less than I charge for 2 basic Shellac manicures. The course is set at an affordable price with the intention of making it accessible to all qualified manicurists who are interested in doing it. There is no logic in doing a course that costs the same (or often more) that is not recognised/authorised by CND. There are CND Education Ambassadors and Shellac Education Ambassadors dotted all over the country now - find your nearest one!

To the OP, I know we've messaged each other before, and I'm not all that far from Staffordshire - I might well be your nearest, but if you want to check then S2 will happily point you in the direction of your nearest educator. *hug*

Hi up to scratch

There's no doubts I will be doing my shellac training with yourself 😊
Your situated near Worcester arnt you chick?
I'm doing my final deluxe manicure assessment on Monday and although ill then be continuing on to my enhancement module, the college have advised they will be more than happy to provide a letter on headed paper to state that I have passed my manicure stage 😊

I'm currently now looking into a Shellac kit but am not able to view how much these are yet obviously until I get the letter from college about my manicure. I've priced one up in the meantime with ellisons but have no idea as yet whether S2 are cheaper etc

How far in advance do I need to book?

Also if I wanted to do minx do I require a kit for that also?

You've been really helpful thank u

Xxx

Hi up to scratch

There's no doubts I will be doing my shellac training with yourself 😊
Your situated near Worcester arnt you chick?
I'm doing my final deluxe manicure assessment on Monday and although ill then be continuing on to my enhancement module, the college have advised they will be more than happy to provide a letter on headed paper to state that I have passed my manicure stage 😊

I'm currently now looking into a Shellac kit but am not able to view how much these are yet obviously until I get the letter from college about my manicure. I've priced one up in the meantime with ellisons but have no idea as yet whether S2 are cheaper etc

How far in advance do I need to book?

Also if I wanted to do minx do I require a kit for that also?

You've been really helpful thank u

Xxx

All prices between Sweet Squared and Ellisons are exactly the same ... naturally, as Ellisons is a sub distributor partner of S2.

I ummed about it and missed the boat so had to wait for June..boo!

I'm addicted to learning anything that will help my business. This forum is marvellous although I'm beginning to spend more time with my fellow geeks than the Boyf at the mo! Lol :D

Next step is to save for cnd training x

Hey I have recently invested in the opi gel, after months of changing my mind on what to use.
And I personally love it! It's so glossy, not too hard like some and it's just so easy to work with, I couldn't recommend it enough!
I have never used shellac though so I can't comment on that, maybe bye a bottle of each and try them out see what you prefer before you commit?xx

Latest posts

Back