Quantcast

Getting to grips with L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Rosie

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Watford
Feeling a bit demotivated. Last week did first set of pink & white sculptures and although all the nails came out with quite good apex and c curve, they looked really thick and un-natural. They only lasted for 4 days before the lifting was so bad had to soak them off (came off MUCH quicker than the 3 hours they took to put on!). Now I realise that it's very early days as I have only just finished my NVQ lessons and am starting the case study bit - but realistically how long could it be before I can expect to create a reasonable set of nails? At the mo I am not sure whether to persevere with L&P or just to ditch it in favour of gel, even though I really want to be able to do both as it does makes sense commercially. Would UV acrylic be any simpler?

I'd be grateful of any advice.
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Rosie said:
Feeling a bit demotivated. Last week did first set of pink & white sculptures and although all the nails came out with quite good apex and c curve, they looked really thick and un-natural. They only lasted for 4 days before the lifting was so bad had to soak them off (came off MUCH quicker than the 3 hours they took to put on!). Now I realise that it's very early days as I have only just finished my NVQ lessons and am starting the case study bit - but realistically how long could it be before I can expect to create a reasonable set of nails? At the mo I am not sure whether to persevere with L&P or just to ditch it in favour of gel, even though I really want to be able to do both as it does makes sense commercially. Would UV acrylic be any simpler?

I'd be grateful of any advice.
Hi Rosie: what products are you using? Dont feel you have to ditch l&p if you arent happy with the products you are currently with. I was unhappy with my l&p application and changed over and feel like i've got a new lease of life!! They say you have to do about 50 sets of nails (i think that's the number!) before you are getting there. I think its a shame to give up so keep at it love!
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
Hi Rosie, it is really different for everyone so one can't really say how long will it take. What one can say is that it takes time and dedication and does not come overnight for most people.

If you have created what you think is a nice shape and c-curve but the problem is too thick ( which in itself can be a cause of lifting) then try the next set using beads half the size of the ones you made before!

A nail doesnot need much coverage to make it much stronger than the natural nail. Just make sure the enhencement is a touch thicker over the stress area as I'm sure you have been taught.

When ever you start to learn something new, it is easy to overdo it. When learning to drive you tend to oversteer the car or over rev it etc. Practice makes you refine your technique and you learn to use less force . Same with nails. Look at pictures and try to copy them (make sure they are nice pictures :D ). Reproduce what you see. Work with less product and make good contact between it and the nailplate. Try not to be impatient with yourself and blame the product and move on to another .... liquid/powder is still what most women demand ... itis worth mastering it.
 

Rosie

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Watford
Carole Lindsay said:
Hi Rosie: what products are you using? Dont feel you have to ditch l&p if you arent happy with the products you are currently with. I was unhappy with my l&p application and changed over and feel like i've got a new lease of life!! They say you have to do about 50 sets of nails (i think that's the number!) before you are getting there. I think its a shame to give up so keep at it love!
Using CND Retention + at the mo. Think it's a really good product (not that I've used any other yet!) but what with summer weather feels like a big rush to finish the bead application before it dries. I don't know whether to try another brand just for comparison but totally new to nails and have only found two suppliers so far, neither of which don't have a particularly good range for nail stuff. I will definately stick with it, as have spent a small fortune on my course/uniform/kit so can't really afford not to. Doesn't help though that I'm so impatient!!
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Rosie said:
Using CND Retention + at the mo. Think it's a really good product (not that I've used any other yet!) but what with summer weather feels like a big rush to finish the bead application before it dries. I don't know whether to try another brand just for comparison but totally new to nails and have only found two suppliers so far, neither of which don't have a particularly good range for nail stuff. I will definately stick with it, as have spent a small fortune on my course/uniform/kit so can't really afford not to. Doesn't help though that I'm so impatient!!
Hang in there love, it takes time to master l&p! Dont give up! At least we know you're using a decent product!! Summer time is always more difficult (especially if you've just learnt and a bit on the slow side) coz it does dry faster than you'd like! Mind you, its quite a good way to get yourself faster coz you have to ;)
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
Rosie said:
Using CND Retention + at the mo. Think it's a really good product (not that I've used any other yet!) but what with summer weather feels like a big rush to finish the bead application before it dries. I don't know whether to try another brand just for comparison but totally new to nails and have only found two suppliers so far, neither of which don't have a particularly good range for nail stuff. I will definately stick with it, as have spent a small fortune on my course/uniform/kit so can't really afford not to. Doesn't help though that I'm so impatient!!
A technician must adapt to weather changes. You are using an easy-to-use and top of the range product so a change to what is available in the wholesale outlet near to you would not be a good idea. You will not like the comparison.

Make your beads a little wetter (use a bit more liquid) to accommodate the evaporation in the hotter weather. This is why your bead is drying more quickly than usual. So ... work with the weather and go a touch more wet.
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
This has to be the hardest of all the sytems to master, nut think about it this way, once you master this one, you should be able to master all of them. It is hard because you have to get the ratio just right, but try practising on a plastic sheet with picking up beads and see how they sit. If they have a ring of wet around them its too wet. If it doesn't move its too dry, so its just practise all the way.

I went through a bad time with mine, as i dare say all new techs do, but when it starts to come together its so worth it. We all have bad days too, but if you fight your way through it you get a real sense of acievement.
 

SammiG

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Messages
380
Reaction score
5
Location
Bedfordshire,UK
Rosie said:
Feeling a bit demotivated. Last week did first set of pink & white sculptures and although all the nails came out with quite good apex and c curve, they looked really thick and un-natural. They only lasted for 4 days before the lifting was so bad had to soak them off (came off MUCH quicker than the 3 hours they took to put on!). Now I realise that it's very early days as I have only just finished my NVQ lessons and am starting the case study bit - but realistically how long could it be before I can expect to create a reasonable set of nails? At the mo I am not sure whether to persevere with L&P or just to ditch it in favour of gel, even though I really want to be able to do both as it does makes sense commercially. Would UV acrylic be any simpler?

I'd be grateful of any advice.
I used to have problems like that for ages! Where are you doing your NVQ? I did mine quite near you. A lot of places offer a couple of seperate tutorials that are included in the price. I found the thing that helped me most was learning to keep my brush really flat and straight.It took me so long to pick up and I was at the stage of giving up. Then I went for an hours extra tuition and the next day, I found I could just do it! Obviously I still need plenty of practice but it really helped.

Sam XX
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
SammiG said:
I used to have problems like that for ages! Where are you doing your NVQ? I did mine quite near you. A lot of places offer a couple of seperate tutorials that are included in the price. I found the thing that helped me most was learning to keep my brush really flat and straight.It took me so long to pick up and I was at the stage of giving up. Then I went for an hours extra tuition and the next day, I found I could just do it! Obviously I still need plenty of practice but it really helped.

Sam XX
Its always just so amazing to me that a little bit of one2one help can make so much difference eh? :)
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Yep I couldn't agree more about one 2 ones..I was strugling to get my L&Ps more refined and not like a pigs trotter :lol: and I found a one2one really benefitted me no end, in fact I am booked on another course come end of August to tweak any other bad habits...

So dont beat you self up, it can be hard learning a new skill, so try and be more patient with yourself and keep up the practice....

All the best.
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
I think when something is difficult to learn like L&P, you will get a great sense of achievement when you do crack it, and you will.
 

Rosie

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Watford
SammiG said:
I used to have problems like that for ages! Where are you doing your NVQ? I did mine quite near you. A lot of places offer a couple of seperate tutorials that are included in the price. I found the thing that helped me most was learning to keep my brush really flat and straight.It took me so long to pick up and I was at the stage of giving up. Then I went for an hours extra tuition and the next day, I found I could just do it! Obviously I still need plenty of practice but it really helped.

Sam XX
Doing my NVQ at a place in Northwood Middx. It's shut down for summer hols now, but I may well book in for a tuition when it opens again in sept. If I pratice loads between now and then I'm hoping that will help too.

Thanks everyone for the tips - it's really helped. Also feeling better because I spent yesterday evening playing with nail art and had a few good results so know that there are some things I can do quite good! I definately will stick with L&P - as you say if I can do that the other systems will be much easier. Also the pics of 3D nail art on here are soooooo impressive, I know I'm going to have to have a play with that at some point (once I can do a decent nail that is!).

Cheers...
 

Latest posts

Top