Gift voucher problem!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilyloukatiekoo

Reaction score
Hi I am hoping for some advice!

I am a mobile beauty therapist I sold a gift voucher last Christmas 2012
For a few hundred pounds
I havnt heard from the lady until today.
The voucher expires in 1 week and she has called me saying she can't use it for medical reasons and would like a refund!
What would you do?

Hi I am hoping for some advice!

I am a mobile beauty therapist I sold a gift voucher last Christmas 2012
For a few hundred pounds
I havnt heard from the lady until today.
The voucher expires in 1 week and she has called me saying she can't use it for medical reasons and would like a refund!
What would you do?

Has she disclosed the medical reasons?
Out of all the treatments you offer she can't have a single 1?!

Surely it should say on the voucher in the T&C's it's not redeemable for cash and has a 0 value.

i definetly wouldnt offer it after so long hun. xx

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm always sceptical about this so close to Christmas - does she need the pennies? And why leave it 12 months??
It's a lot of money to just forget about until 9 days before Xmas :/

Contact trading standards as I'm sure I've heard something tricky about gift vouchers.

You could offer her to gift it to another relative/friend who will use it.

What does it say it's for? A value? A treatment?

I don't have any t&cs on my vouchers only an expiry date.

What would you say to her?
I've said I need to speak with my accountant.
The medical reason hasn't been disclosed

It's for a value

Phone trading standards for advice, they are there for us businesses too.
The tricky bit is that it's still within expiry date, so if it's for a value what are your range of treatments that you offer?

Have you got a website or facebook page you can get terms and conditions put on ASAP?
Also google gift voucher laws as I also remember something about a high street store too.

I'm sure if you called her bluff asking for more details of medical condition first she would back down.

There are very few medical conditions that you couldn't have ANY treatment, massages, etc there's loads.
If it's a self limiting condition, I.e being put on roaccutane so no waxing or skin treatments, you can extend the expiry date for her.

I'd tell her that gift vouchers are not refundable but as a goodwill gesture you can extend the expiry for another six months or she could transfer it to another person or even sell it on and you will honour the six month extension.

I had this happen to me a few years ago I put 6 months use by on my gift vouchers I had a lady call a week before the voucher was due up saying she hadn't used the voucher because we are closed on Mondays and that's her day off she can't come any other time blah blah. She was really put out that the gift only had a sixth months and Marks and Spencer vouchers don't have a shelf more blah blah I pointed out that M&S are multi million pound company and we where only a small business I said I couldn't give a cash refund but would be happy to extend the voucher for another month as a good will gesture and maybe she could get a days holiday to come in and enjoy her £50 worth of treatment. Never heard from her again. Just trying it on obviously had forgotten all about the voucher found it lying in a drawer and thought hmmm £50.

Thanks everyone,
I am a bit peeved especially as I drove 30 mins to deliver the voucher and it was beautifully wrapped in an organza bag with some trial sized products in.

I will look into trading standards but I think I will offer to extend the voucher or let her pass it on to someone else
I offer a huge variety of treatments so can't see everything will be contraindicated
Will see how it goes...

let us know the outcome! x

I've just done a little Google search and it seems the norm is you CANT exchange them for cash and are non refundable after they've expired , these were all stated on various salon websites - if you have a website etc it may pay you to add some Terms and conditions on to cover yourself :)
Be interested to hear the outcome :)

Thanks that's really kind of you,
I will give her a call Monday and let you know

Hi everyone,
Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Here is a quick update...

I have spoken to trading standards citizens consumer Advice who were extremely helpfull.
They said gift vouchers are sold with only the terms and conditions you state
So if they are not used within that time you are under no legal obligation to extend the voucher or refund the money. It is upto the consumer to use the voucher within that time frame.
So as in my case I only have an expiry date on the voucher, then she must use by that date and I don't need to refund her, and as it has 1 week left for which I am fully booked and can't fit her in if she wanted to, then it was her responsibility to book within plenty of time. I don't legally have to extend the voucher.
Anything I do offer is as a goodwill gesture.
I found that quite interesting, I haven't been able to get in contact with he client but will play it by ear and let you know .

Hi everyone,
Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Here is a quick update...

I have spoken to trading standards citizens consumer Advice who were extremely helpfull.
They said gift vouchers are sold with only the terms and conditions you state
So if they are not used within that time you are under no legal obligation to extend the voucher or refund the money. It is upto the consumer to use the voucher within that time frame.
So as in my case I only have an expiry date on the voucher, then she must use by that date and I don't need to refund her, and as it has 1 week left for which I am fully booked and can't fit her in if she wanted to, then it was her responsibility to book within plenty of time. I don't legally have to extend the voucher.
Anything I do offer is as a goodwill gesture.
I found that quite interesting, I haven't been able to get in contact with he client but will play it by ear and let you know .

Hmmm interesting to know the facts of our vouchers :)
Let's hope you hear no more from her now, but at least you're armed with the info if she does come back yo you :)

Whoo hoo! Result!
I knew they give good advice based on civil consumer law.
Balls in her court now.
It's not as if she was ever going to become a regular client either,

Keep us updated please,

Really useful info for the rest of us too, thank you

Crysalis- they were so helpful, but he did say that only some boroughs allow them to give advice to businesses. Luckily mine did!

They give you a reference number so you have proof of the conversation if needed.

That's really good you managed to get advice. Please ensure that you get you T's & C's written up and on your website ASAP and also pending how your vouchers are designed, have it written on the back too, or within your organza bag with the voucher, this will cover you completely.

Update
Only just heard back from this lady.

She is not very happy and still insisting on a cash refund, I have offered to extend or that she passes it on to someone else,
But she does not deem that as satisfactory and will be taking the matter further.

Latest posts

Back