Glandular Fever

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klassy Klaws

Reaction score
I have just found out today that my 17 year old daughter has Glandular Fever:eek:
I have never ever come across this before and am not sure what to expect her to be feeling.
At the moment she has the worst throat I have ever seen it is so swollen and sore she is struggling to eat properly. She is on a course of antibiotics for the throat.

The Dr never said there is nothing they can give her for the Glandular Fever as it will just run its course:cry:

She has a Overactive Thyroid to so her Immune system isn't the best which doesn't help!

She does have a boy friend to so she was off to text him today and suggest a blood test I am sure she wont be very popular with him now :lol:
Anyone experienced this and any advice on what I can do to help her?
:hug:

Oh dear Karen, I am sorry to hear your daughter has glandular fever.

I had the same at the age of 16. It's not very pleasant at all. It makes you feel exhausted most of the time, as well as giving you the experience of the nastiest sore throat ever together swollen glands and aching limbs.

The best thing really is lots of hot drinks to soothe the throat and plenty of rest. It can take several weeks for the symptoms to disappear completely.

Usually known as "the Kissing Disease", it is highly contageous, and she should be sure to use her own face towels and her own mug, cup or drinking glass.

HTHs.

Wishing her a speedy recovery :hug: xx

i also know it as the "kissing disease". my boyfriend had it and it can be a very nasty thing.
it can actually take months to fully recover.
im sure your daughter will have good days and bad days so just take each day as it comes.
i really do hope she feels better soon.
im a right baby when it comes to being ill,i hate it.so please let her know we're all thinking of her and you for looking after her. :hug::hug:xx

personally having had it at 18 i am now 26 and never fully gotten over it, it has left me with a weak immune system which because of two years later got full on flu, coupled with tonsiliitus and severe sinus infection and christmas just gone i was in hospital with pneaumonia.

this of course is an extreme.

glandular fever is two viruses at the same time creating a super bug, it does run its course, but i personally was very very ill with it, i had a high fever which sent me in and out of consiousness and convulsing, and took me three weeks before i could keep any fluids down let alone consider eating.

i suffer with fatique very easily since the glan. fever which is hard for me because iv got alot of energy and enthusiasm but my levels fall very quickly. i have continually belts of tonsilitus and my glands are always up.

this doesnt mean ur daughter will suffer the same as i do believe some people get over it but i believe im one of the ones who will never 100%

im telling you because i dont want u to underestimate how serious this can be, lots and lots of bed rest and fluids is what she needs and i really hope she makes a speedy recovery :))

Hi, my son had this when he was 17 - he is now 23 and he still has bouts of tiredness and headaches, but he knows he just has to lie down and take it easy as there is nothing else to do for it. He just shuts himself away in his room and calls when he fancies something to eat or drink. He has a very good job as a scaffolder and needs all his energy but when this takes over he just has to give in and he has learnt to do this now. Over the years though, touch wood , it is getting less and less, so hopefully it will dissappear one day for his sake !! Hope she gets better soon x

My daughter had this when she was 14 and ended up having 4 weeks off school with it. As others have said tiredness played a big part and she generally couldn't do much for a while.

So far, (now 16) she hasn't had any long term after effects from it at all, unless of course a stroppy teenage attitude counts.:rolleyes:

Give her lots of hugs, TLC and time, and don't forget to be kind to yourself too whilst your looking after her.:hug:

I can remember my brother having it when we were younger , He was off school for month's . Don't know if everyone suffers the same or not.

Latest posts

Back