Going back to extensions - is it really worth it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonJo

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am a trained extensionist for over a year now. I have done quite a few clients but my first few and last few have caused me so much head ache I have stopped fitting extensions.

Seems like some people just won't put their hand in their pocket - instead it's me that ends up paying. What I mean is I think some people want something for nothing. Unfortunately I know this is unavoidable!

I really want to get back into extensions I've worked so hard and I'm very determined but I have had a bit of a confidence knock.

Has anyone got any advise on how to avoid these situations?

Situations where people:

Call you out for a consultation and haggle you down on price
You go for a maintenance and they aren't there
They call up 5 minutes before an appointment and cancel
Complain about everything, demand a refund, you go to remove their extensions and they want to keep them in and have a refund.

I think I'm being too nice and a bit of a push over... But I'm not the kind of person to come across very strong and strict.

Any suggestions would be fabulous.

Many thanks x

Hello I don't do extensions but I feel you. I have clients moan about the fact that they have grey regrowth-6 weeks after they have last been in.

I think if you have a gut feeling that a client is going to be a pain or a chancer then discreetly get out of doing it.

Also I don't think people really get what goes into the maintainence of extensions so maybe you could send them home with an info pack that they sign to acknowledge that you have explained everything. It's obviously not anything binding but your ensuring you have done all you can to insure that correct free care is followed.

Also on initial consultation explain that unless at fault you charge for removals, if its simply a change of heart and they don't want them you will charge for removal.

Also a deposit scheme for appts on all new clients and possibly a loyalty card?

Hopefully you will find for every idiot there's plenty of goodens :)

Hey Hun all of the above have happened to me. I do this full time and believe me at least once every 2 weeks I am fed up and wanna pack it all in! Then I hear lovely things that I come highly recommended and remind myself so long as I'm doing a good professional job then you can't please everyone!

People do want something for nothing.

I call/text/Facebook everyone the night before. 99% of my booking is through Facebook so this is my main contact.
I've had ripple say they can't pay me when I've fitted their whole head!! I insisted I would take them out unless she did- and I was paid.

People won't always lie u- I don't like some people too lol xx

Just wanted to add to what others have said here..... Your not alone. I've done extensions for a while now and recently had a break from them as it was causing too much stress.
Without repeating it was for the exact same reasons you said. It's hard enough competing with other extensionists offering full heads for next to nothing. But what I do now is not let a client being your price down lower than your prepared to do it for. They will easily find someone else and this way you get someone who is willing to pay for a quality service and is less likely to be a chancer!
X

I agree with all of you on here, and have felt exactly the same. Things like this really do knock your confidence and I very nearly gave them up and stuck to my regular hair clients but I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to let a few 'nightmare' clients pur me off! I do however think you need to stick to your guns, dont lower your prices upon request, if you do the client thinks from the start you will be a pushover and take advantage. Be strong, believe in yourself and keep going! I have many clients who say well I can get them done for alot less down the road and its 'Russian' hair to which I respond " well maybe you should try there then". Most admire your confidence and with a little education soon realise why you are the better option! Good luck xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Ive mentioned these on afew posts, balmain double hair.
Its such a quick easy solution to give a full head of hair in under an hour (they advertise 35mins)
The maintenance is easy, theres 5 pieces with 5 bonds on each one. Reuseable hair albeit abit pricey.
I only do the fill in extensions on a couple of my friends beacause its such a long process and like someone said people dont wanna pay!
You definately have to be firm, luckily I've not had anybody try it on since Ive been self employed. But as long as you know you've done your job right they haven't a leg to stand on.
Did someone really ask for a refund but wanted to keep them in!? :-o ! Xx

80% of your problems come from the negative 20% of the population
Some people have a very selfish criminal mentality that want something for nothing with intentions to rip people's off.... Fret not my dear, focus on the 80% of the social and good population, also when I did some training in my previous job I learned that the only way to eliminate no-shows is to take a deposit... People remember very well their money, so if they don't sign(deposit) their not sold. I also don't do extensions but I can totally relate to your situation....
Most importantly, keep an insouciant attitude.... It will get better you have passion and want it so don't let these criminals bring your confidence down
Hope this helps and stay positive ;)

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am a trained extensionist for over a year now. I have done quite a few clients but my first few and last few have caused me so much head ache I have stopped fitting extensions.

Seems like some people just won't put their hand in their pocket - instead it's me that ends up paying. What I mean is I think some people want something for nothing. Unfortunately I know this is unavoidable!

I really want to get back into extensions I've worked so hard and I'm very determined but I have had a bit of a confidence knock.

Has anyone got any advise on how to avoid these situations?

Situations where people:

Call you out for a consultation and haggle you down on price
You go for a maintenance and they aren't there
They call up 5 minutes before an appointment and cancel
Complain about everything, demand a refund, you go to remove their extensions and they want to keep them in and have a refund.

I think I'm being too nice and a bit of a push over... But I'm not the kind of person to come across very strong and strict.

Any suggestions would be fabulous.

Many thanks x

If anyone try's to haggle on price they aren't gonna be a returning customer, leave your price and walk away.

Maintenances you can do a few things to confirm they are gonna be there for the appointment, send. Text message confirming the appointment, I'd they don't respond then ring up, if they don't answer then send another text stating if they don't confirm the appointment it will be cancelled.

If they cancel five minutes before an appointment and don't give a good reason next time they wanna book ask for a deposit or out them in your phone contact book as ' waste of time don't bother answering,

If they demand things such as refunds etc, go through your consultation forms with a fine tooth comb and ensure that they understand every step of the process of the service they are receiving.

With regards to the prices, stick with them. Reputation will get you clients. I'm by far not the cheapest! I'm closer to salon prices than mobile prices but I don't really do any advertising- all through Facebook and friends recommending. People pay my prices- it's taken 6 months of hard work as I moved to northern rn Ireland from Scotland!! But it's working- oh one thing I do thought is I offer a multiple person discount. X

I'm doing a hair extension course on Sunday and all this puts me off. I think I am going to take a deposit for hair and then payment up front before I fit the extensions. If anyone tries to haggle on price or is abit funny I won't do them x

I'm doing my hair extension course next week and this puts me off. Think I'm going to start off low key with friends and family then hopefully word of mouth

Thank you everyone for your advise I have taken notice of all your comments and I think I will give it a go again!

It's a difficult situation and I don't think people understand the hard work and effort that every extensionist puts into their work! If people did understand I think it would be a different story!

I will update this posts with more thoughts as I make a decision on weather it is really worth doing or not!

Thanks guys xx

Aw guys, don't be put off!!

I have had some very successful and happy customers but you do get the odd few and like all these lovely people have said its learning how to avoid them: hence this post.

Keep watching this post as I expect these people will happily post more tips and tricks to help pick out these people!

Xx

Latest posts

Back