going mobile questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer

Reaction score
Hi,

just wanted to know what type of insurance you need as a mobile tech. I have insurance from Beauty Direct (I think, £34.50?). Is this enough or do I need a different type?

Also, what do you carry your products in? Suitcase, beauty trolley,etc? How much stuff do you take with you?

What is the radius that you travel out to? Any problems with kids and animals? Any special policies?

OK, enough questions for now. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi ya!

Well sounds like you have the same insurance as me so thats that sorted.

I carry my products in a tool box i have an artists case for nail art stuff and my tool box for files buffers products etc.

I work within a 3 mile raduis at the mo (only because thats the furthest a client lives from me) but i would be happy to do 5 (max)

I don't do treatments on men unless they are recommended by a regular clients coz theres some real freaks out there.

I'm an animal person so i don't mind them but i do stress that i do not want cats jumping on the table i am using or mine or my clients laps.

and i don't really like to do nails around a newborn or very young child coz its a bit pongy and childrens little lungs might find it hard to breathe.

Can't think of much else PM me if you need anything further

Hi Jennifer,

I work mobile and have different bags for each treatment...i dont just do nails.
I carry both my acrylic and gel in the same bag i bought from ebay for £20....cos you never know which type is going to be suitable for a client. i used to carry my polishes in my bag also, but i was beginning to have that many that i bought the creative carry case for enamels. I have a portable daylight lamp...which is invaluable because you cannot always gaurantee what the light is going to be like in poeples houses.

I have a large trolley case that i can pull which i use for all my waxing equipment...Mmm, what else do i have, oh a portable table and a hydrolic stool cos you just have to be at the correct height or it will be a nightmare for you ,not to mention your back.

i offer other treatment also and each has its own bag/case.
You will have to take everything that you need and more because you will always mispace something and the last thing you want to be happening is having to explain to a client that you have forgotten/lost nail cutters or glue for example. I always carry two pairs plus scissors....plenty of files, new ones are always best for rebalances and takes less time. in other words everything that is on hand to a nail tech in a salon you will have to carry it about with you....have little bottles of scrubfresh and nail polish remover and just keep topping them up when they are empty

You wil soon see what you will need.

As for distance i travel within a 15 miles radius of where i live, this way my clients are concentrated in one area...anymore and i would be spending to much time on the road. As your clientel grows you could widen it to suit. But you don,t want to be traveling miles if it is for... lets say a £5 treatment! you know what i am getting at.

You will also need to be aware of your own safety. What you should do is have 2 appointment books....one for yourself and a copy to be left at home so that someone can see at a glance where you are...i know its a pain but it is worth it if you end up in a situation...god forbid! I also tell my clients tha my phone will be left on...and do they mind...a genuine client won't, or put it on vibrate

If you are going to be out all day or have a few clients for that day you should always telephone someone in between appointments so as to let them know where you are and where you are heading next just to be on the safe side.

I would also advise you just to have female clients only...if it's a man that phones for an appointment ask him if he can have a female friend or his partner confirm the booking, if he is genuine he wont mind doing this.....you will find if it is a bogus call either he will ahang up or will not phone back, for the simple reason he won't want anyone to know you are going to meet him....i hope this is all making sense. if you are just doing nails you shouldn't have this probem i would have thought.

You also want to think about no shows... i know they are annoying but trying to charge a lcient for a no show is impossible!! You could maybe state it on your price lists that they will be charged, this mught discourage them...i ten d to phone either the night before or on that morning to confirm my appointments.

I'm sorry if i have gone on i bit...i do tend to. But hope this has helped in some way.

And good luck

i think alot does depend on yourself,
i have done nails for people when they have children about, they tend to behave and are usually fasinated at what you are doing.............but it depends on your situation (i wont let them bring children to my house but will go to theirs) i used to have a lot of ladies who,s hubby's where away in the forces and had no family around..........they did become my best clients until i moved........i didnt want them penalised for having kids as i was in their position my self, and paula my old nail tech used to come to me, and my boys loved her.
it does depend on you, i think.
i am pretty confident with kiddies and will say something to them if they muck around............nicely of course, usually they are fine though.................phew i rambled on bit there

Hi

I have recently started a mobile business. I take everything with me including spares as someone else mentioned. I carry all my stuff in sturdy silver cases which I brought from a local wholesalers. I also carry my rolled towels in a plastic carry box along with my disposable paper towels etc.

I find that you need everything as clients can sometimes change their minds about what they exactly want.

Good Luck and hopes this helps.

Nicki

i use a stanly tool box- so many compartments they are perfect! and also a separate zip bag for my towls, lamp etc. i travel up to about 15 miles away and if i only do one client i charge a little extra for travel time and expences. however normally i do a few in each house- i suggest to them that a friend could have them done after theirs as this makes it more worth my while to travel further and they get to pay less for their nails! this works without fail and means you instantly get 2 appointments instead of 1!:D i always have my phone on (normally vibrate) they shouldn't object after all that is how a mobile buisness works. i dont no whether you've found a desk to use but i use an ironing board :idea: (every1 has 1 and they are the perfect size! andheight adjustable so good when clients have particultrly small or tall chairs) and take a universal cover to put over it, works a treat!
i always take everything with me as a lot of people change their minds especially about nail art, on their 1st app do nail art on the baby fingers complementary- they will get hooked! after that it doesn't take much to talk them into "treating themselves" to nail art when you re-visit:wink2:
i say its better for young children to sit in another room &watch tv as i dont thing the fumes and dust are healthy for youngsters, and it gives mum a bit of time away from the kids! if they insist on being in the same room i ask them nicely not to lean on mummy and they soon get the jist, the bits of sticker left from the middle of gold forms will keep them occupied for a long time!
sorry ive gone on for so long, i just hope it is of some help :biggrin:

i got this great bag from t.j. hughes (someone told me you also get it in ethyl austin?!) for £10. I've got one for enhancements and one for natural nails.

You know those plastic drawers you get? I keep my waxing stuff in that and that way I don't need to sit my actual pot on anyones tables!

As for animals, I don't mind. I have a client who has cats but they don't jump (another clients' cats opens the room doors, which I find funny). However, if I'm doing a tint treatment or anything like that, I close the door to stop them getting in.

I have this one client with a little girl who just doesn't like me (i pierced her ears, so I am :evil: hehe). She will stand beside me and poke and prod my leg and say 'go away' (drives me bloody nuts!) and other stuff. However tonight, she had a little friend, so she had someone else to shout and scream at, lol. I think her mother is fed up now, too and has booked her next party (with more new clients :D ) when she will be at her dads'. If the kids are nice, then it doesn't bother me, as someone said earlier, most are fascinated and want to watch.

I have babtac insurance (only because I thought you got the magazine more regularly and I wanted to keep as up to date as possible, not being in a salon and all.). I won't do that next year. You will need to inform your car insurers also, just in case anything happens.

My current radius is about 5 miles, but I am not long started :) I would go about 15 miles max.

Some Great Ideas here, I am going to use some of them if you don't mind. I do Salon, Mobile and home based services and always forget something - My daughters put it down to a 'senior moment'!!!! ... a seperate bag for each treatment could save me some embarsassing situations.... thanks

Theres some good advice you gave to Jennifer. I shall take some on board myself.
Thanks a lot mamma

inspirationails said:
Theres some good advice you gave to Jennifer. I shall take some on board myself.
Thanks a lot mamma

Me too.

Sally's do a metal lockable box - silver top opening, had two trays each side and big bottom space - ok its not a catalogue discription - cost nearly £40, I got an indentical one for £22 from B&Q - use this for all small items, Lamp in a bag mum made (with long straps to go over shoulder, lots of padding and a big pocket for towels, soak bowl etc), and nail art equip in seperate box.

Good luck going mobile

For anyone interested this item is on ebay:

NOT CREATIVE NAIL BIG MOBILE SILVER BEAUTY CASE
GREAT FOR MOBILE NAIL OR MAKE-UP TECHINICIAN

It is standing at £79.99.

I saw that silver beauty case too... seems a little pricy to me? But looks to have lots of storage and you can pull it I guess.

Great ideas here.

I have two questions if anyone can help out. A hydrolic stool was mentioned, anyone know where to buy theses? I have just started myself and bought a protable table which is great, most clients have chairs to use, but I have found a couple that don't!! So any suggestions as to what you would do then?

Also, do no one has mentioned about selling products when mobile. Is this successful and if so what do you take with you and how do you present it?

mamma said:
Hi Jennifer,

I work mobile and have different bags for each treatment...i dont just do nails.
I carry both my acrylic and gel in the same bag i bought from ebay for £20....cos you never know which type is going to be suitable for a client. i used to carry my polishes in my bag also, but i was beginning to have that many that i bought the creative carry case for enamels. I have a portable daylight lamp...which is invaluable because you cannot always gaurantee what the light is going to be like in poeples houses.

I have a large trolley case that i can pull which i use for all my waxing equipment...Mmm, what else do i have, oh a portable table and a hydrolic stool cos you just have to be at the correct height or it will be a nightmare for you ,not to mention your back.

i offer other treatment also and each has its own bag/case.
You will have to take everything that you need and more because you will always mispace something and the last thing you want to be happening is having to explain to a client that you have forgotten/lost nail cutters or glue for example. I always carry two pairs plus scissors....plenty of files, new ones are always best for rebalances and takes less time. in other words everything that is on hand to a nail tech in a salon you will have to carry it about with you....have little bottles of scrubfresh and nail polish remover and just keep topping them up when they are empty

You wil soon see what you will need.

As for distance i travel within a 15 miles radius of where i live, this way my clients are concentrated in one area...anymore and i would be spending to much time on the road. As your clientel grows you could widen it to suit. But you don,t want to be traveling miles if it is for... lets say a £5 treatment! you know what i am getting at.

You will also need to be aware of your own safety. What you should do is have 2 appointment books....one for yourself and a copy to be left at home so that someone can see at a glance where you are...i know its a pain but it is worth it if you end up in a situation...god forbid! I also tell my clients tha my phone will be left on...and do they mind...a genuine client won't, or put it on vibrate

If you are going to be out all day or have a few clients for that day you should always telephone someone in between appointments so as to let them know where you are and where you are heading next just to be on the safe side.

I would also advise you just to have female clients only...if it's a man that phones for an appointment ask him if he can have a female friend or his partner confirm the booking, if he is genuine he wont mind doing this.....you will find if it is a bogus call either he will ahang up or will not phone back, for the simple reason he won't want anyone to know you are going to meet him....i hope this is all making sense. if you are just doing nails you shouldn't have this probem i would have thought.

You also want to think about no shows... i know they are annoying but trying to charge a lcient for a no show is impossible!! You could maybe state it on your price lists that they will be charged, this mught discourage them...i ten d to phone either the night before or on that morning to confirm my appointments.

I'm sorry if i have gone on i bit...i do tend to. But hope this has helped in some way.

And good luck

This is a great thread.
I got this as a present for christmas and I have found it invaluable.

http://www.beautelle.co.uk/water/manicure%20offers.htm

Mobile Folding Nail Table,
Portable Magnifying Lamp (with Carry Case)
and Small Saddle Stool (adjustible height)

Even though I'm still only studying I was sick of going to my Mum's house and using her ironing board, and chairs being uncomfortable and having the wrong lighting etc. This is a fab package, pity the delivery was so much to Ireland though. BUt hey I'm not complaining, Thanks Santa!!

Lotsa luck Jennifer - you have been given plenty of good advice here.

Paws - Santa was very generous wasn't he! I'm gonna keep an eye out for that at ExCeL. Just wanted to say I'm hoping to start a mobile business this year too so great advice for me as well. Thanks everyone! xxx

i have just placed a Portable Daylight Company lamp on geekbay for sale...

Wow - thanks for this thread - I have learnt something here today- I started mobile a month or so ago, and my partner bought me one of those silver cases that folds out that stores most of my manicure stuff - I have a couple of storage boxes for my cotton wool and extension cord and manicure cushion and two cheap but nice plastic boxes with handles for my nail art stuff and one for my polishes. I also have a noticeboard at home with a list of my appointments and contact numbers so my partner knows where I am and roughly how long I will be.

thanks for the advice - I have printed it off so I can absorb it later ! :p

Latest posts

Back