Going mobile!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautygirl1977

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've decided to go mobile for the time being. Tell me everything?! Lol!

Do you have a certain area you do?

I presume the client will have to spend a certain amount before its worth going?

Do you charge more for mobile?

And anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance! X

I cover within 10 miles of my address although in reality most of my clients live within 5 miles. I currently don't charge any more for mobile appointments but have a minimum spend of £20 (not an issue because majority of my work is nails starting from that price anyway). I am in the process of making a slow transition to salon based so am considering adding a small fee (£2ish) to each treatment for mobile appointments to encourage people in to the salon. You may want to consider charging an additional fee to go outside of your set area.

Make your prices comparable to local salons not any cheap mobile therapists, you shouldn't be cheaper because you're mobile and there's no point in trying to compete with £10 Mobile Mandy (I hope that's noone's name here!).

Always call/text to confirm your appointments the same day or day before to avoid any clients forgetting appointments and make sure you check out the safety threads here.

Ill be stalking this as I'm trying to go mobile atm too :) x

I cover within 10 miles of my address although in reality most of my clients live within 5 miles. I currently don't charge any more for mobile appointments but have a minimum spend of £20 (not an issue because majority of my work is nails starting from that price anyway). I am in the process of making a slow transition to salon based so am considering adding a small fee (£2ish) to each treatment for mobile appointments to encourage people in to the salon. You may want to consider charging an additional fee to go outside of your set area.

Make your prices comparable to local salons not any cheap mobile therapists, you shouldn't be cheaper because you're mobile and there's no point in trying to compete with £10 Mobile Mandy (I hope that's noone's name here!).

Always call/text to confirm your appointments the same day or day before to avoid any clients forgetting appointments and make sure you check out the safety threads here.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm thinking about maybe doing some mobile and some salon based(in my house) only thing I need to go get yet another insurance to go Mobile!
I wouldn't be charging less to go mobile. I would be keeping my prices the same.
That's what I was thinking a min spend of £20 and a 5 mile range.

Any must haves I need to go mobile? To make things easier?
Thanks. X

I'm home based but I have done mobile... Have a case for each different service you perform... Even if it means some tools are doubled up (having to have more than one of certain things).

Good luck x

I am home based but I do mobile treatments. £5 extra for 10 mile radius, £10 for beyond that.
I have a minimum treatment price of £15, as I used to get a lot of folk asking for eyebrow waxes etc, and by the time you heat your wax up etc it just isn't worth it!
Like Karen-Nail Tech says, make sure you have plenty of storage cases etc so that you can take what you need.

I used to write lists of treatments and what I need for each treatment. Helped me out!

I'm mobile have been for 2 yrs now. A few tips always let someone know where you are going, address phone number especially new clients.
Never take appointments by text unless they have become regular established clients. I'm all about the safety.
Make it a real salon experience for your clients, scented candles, relaxing music fluffy towels it all adds to their comfort and experience and nice little touches they appreciate. Good storage at home for your equipment and go for the smaller retail size products for carrying around you can always have salon size at home and decant . Just easier to carry around.
Still do full consultations and I use some nice little appointment cards too and sort out their next appointment before leaving.
A small change float is always handy.
There are quite a few mobile threads on here so have a good search and best of luck with it.
Nicola x x

Mobile Mandy lol! Love it!

Ive been mobile for coming up to a year.
There are times when the sun is shining and im travelling to clients houses driving around music blasting, windows down. Good times :)

But then theres the flip side of that......the other day i got stuck on ice trying to get to a client who lives in farm house. I couldnt turn my car around so had to leave the car where it was and carry my stuff up to the house. It was LASHING down with rain and blowing a gale!! I remember thinking, get me back to my £6 per hour salon job!!!! WHY am i doing this!!! But then driving home adding up my money and finding id made over £100 i remember why im mobile and work for myself.

I always give new clients a ring before i meet them. I think it breaks the ice a bit when you di first meet them.

Always carry change.

Trust your instinct. If you think a client may mess you around with appointments, they probably will. So be prepared for it.

Br flexable with appointments, but dont be a walk over. Unfortunatly some clients will take the mic.

Have a personal life! Something i seem to forget im entitled to!

Good luck hunni xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Try to group people into areas too, that's my New Years resolution lol!! Don't be afraid to say no to things sometimes don't over stretch yourself!

Allow extra time for travelling in case of traffic!

Don't forget packed lunches, drinks and I always have a book or magazine , incase I'm too early for an apt!

Also I have an emergency box in my boot of couch roll, cotton wool etc a incase !!!

Latest posts

Back