Good grief!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
Here was I about to spend an hour or two practising my acrylic application. (Having read Geeg's book several times) I felt ready to start. I had everything laid out, ready to work along with the book, all very exciting. Oh my Great Aunt Flora - the smell nearly lifted me off the chair! It's beyond vile - it's disgustipating :cry: I managed 10 minutes, and my normally very patient husband has all but climbed out of the bedroom window! Is it just me? Do I need to toughen up my nasal passages? Or shall I give up now? :eek: Lol :lol:

Yes, it is very strong, the only way around it is to keep the windows open and keep well ventilated.
Can I ask which brand you are using? Some are stronger than others?
I did my training at college for 4 hours a week and I always used to leave with a headache despite the extractor.
The only way I can do acrylic now is in a room with an open window or door.
Hope this helps.
xx

Thanks for the reply, it's one I picked up from Salon Services. Aspire student acrylic kit. Believe me, the windows were practically coming off the hinges. :)

tbh when I first smelt acrylic liquid I actually thought "omg I dont think i can work with that"

10 years on i can't even smell it lol

hubby said "god that smell" - i say "what smell?"

Yes it is terrible. My hubby is asthmatic, and it really affects his breathing if I do it in the house....so much so I bought a silk/fibreglass kit and thought, for the odd occasion I get asked to do extension's, im gona have to use silks! However I can do it while hes away at wrk...but even if I put a cotton pad in our bin, he can smell it later on.
I use cnd btw
yukky stuff :twisted:

It does stink doesn't it!
I was advised to use a metal bin and that will keep the smell in !

I love the smell and always have. Tip if you have any plastic backed pads, pop it over the dippen dash in between each dip. It does help and of course dispose of waste pads/products in a plastic bag.

Am I the only one that loves the smell 🙈 my bf has a fit if I so much as bring the bottle out.

Can't help you with your question but I have decided to use the expression 'Good Grief' from now on!!

I know Geeg made a post on here some time ago saying the best ways to keep the odor at bay is to be in a well ventilated area, keep a covered container for any waste, keep your dappen dish covered (although I'm curious how you can efficiently do acrylics with how many times you would have to cover /uncover??) and use alcohol/sanitizer soaked gauze to wipe your brush.

I haven't tried these methods but I'd like to hear other people's input too...I'm in school and NEED to be able to practice at home but I cannot smell up my house with those fumes.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using SalonGeek mobile app

keep your dappen dish covered (although I'm curious how you can efficiently do acrylics with how many times you would have to cover /uncover??)

I was taught with a covered dish and put the lid back on that and place the powder lid on each time too xx

I have a client who loves the smell of both the primer and the liquid. I have to be careful where i keep my primer as she grabs it and inhales :eek:

I have a client who loves the smell of both the primer and the liquid. I have to be careful where i keep my primer as she grabs it and inhales :eek:

My hubby does the same!!! He comes in when I'm doing my own nails and sniffs everything to see which is stronger!! Haha

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

I love the smell, there's a beauty room attached to my hairdressers and the acrylic smell always wafts out the door. Clients hate it though!

Thanks for the reply, it's one I picked up from Salon Services. Aspire student acrylic kit. Believe me, the windows were practically coming off the hinges. :)

Aspire acrylic is the strongest I've ever used. And to be honest the product doesn't give a very clear result. Infact I would say that their liquid resembles poppers. And it certainly has the same effects. Not nice!!!

I was taught with a covered dish and put the lid back on that and place the powder lid on each time too xx

I haven't been taught that way (not saying one way is right or wrong)..but how does that work? isn't it a problem every time? do you do a 3 ball method? isn't that a lot of covering/uncovering and does it really contain the smell? seems like once that smell penetrates the air whether opening the dish or having it on your brush..that smell is there to stay for awhile.

I noticed that Geeg said that if you wipe your brush to much then that can cause the smell to linger. I think that's what she said anyway, the post is on here somewhere. All I know is, when I used ASP aspire liquid, my head felt like it was going to explode. Xxx

I suppose if you get into the habit of lifting the lid of the dish off with your left hand while putting your brush in with your right right, then pop the lid back on and make a ball in the powder.
Might try and get use to this myself

Also as said previously, try not to keep wiping your brush. If you do need to, put some scrub fresh on a tissue and then wipe on that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back