Graduate nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faerififi

Reaction score
Hi all, the time has finally come, I've finished uni and now looking to get into a salon full time.
Have been messed about a couple of times already, and promised junior stylist places (as im only qualified to level 2) that have since fallen through for no real reason.
Keeping on applying but as I'm 23 and having been to uni its hard to find people to take me seriously in the industry even thought my work and persona state otherwise!
Unsure what to do, I dont really want to go back to college unless its in conjunction with a junior stylist job, so I just have to hope that I can convince someone what a hard worker I am and that I would be beneficial to their salon! I do eventually want to rent a chair but feel I need more experience first.
Any advice?

This has happened to me in the past I was in a salon whilst I was training and then I qualified and was still there and because we have only now qualified some hair stylist with many years experience look down on you as you have only now come out of your training, Whilst I was still there she made me out to be thick and wasn't paying me the right amount and sometimes she would ask me to go in there for 20 minutes just to help the last blowdry or something that was there, which I don't mind doing, but to me it seemed pretty pointless. Now I am in a laid back relaxed salon with such a good atmosphere, it's mainly finding the right salon were you will fit in the most, Good luck with the future[emoji4]

I also struggled to get a junior type position in a salon initially and learnt it was better to gloss over my previous experience and just casually refer to it as general admin/office work.

I think once you find a salon that fits, you can be more honest but initially, it's best to underplay your academic achievements until you're looking to move to a more senior role.

Is it worth pursuing the salons that target the student market rather than a more upmarket type salon just to get the experience?

I also struggled to get a junior type position in a salon initially and learnt it was better to gloss over my previous experience and just casually refer to it as general admin/office work.

I think once you find a salon that fits, you can be more honest but initially, it's best to underplay your academic achievements until you're looking to move to a more senior role.

Is it worth pursuing the salons that target the student market rather than a more upmarket type salon just to get the experience?

Yeah thats true although if they ask what ive been doing for the past 3 years what could I say other than at uni?! ha. I havent made much of a big deal of it but I dont want to lie if im asked. Im happy to go towards more student type salons anyway as I would rather be doing fun colours and cuts than upmarket clientele. I have an appointment at a training school in brighton who said they are going to try and find me a salon placement to do my level 3 with but Im not holding too much hope on it as majority want people a bit younger.
The last place I applied for loved that I had a different life experience and that I had a fine art background etc, but i dont think they could afford to pay me anything more than your usual apprentice wage. They unoficially offered me the job tho and just never followed through even though I rang up more than once to see what was going on. Soooo demoralising.

Latest posts

Back