"Gratuity fee will be charged for Art"??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
I had a client today who got bio extensions and pain stakingly detailed nail art ($90), and gave me a $2 tip. (And she was very happy with them)

My boss was very angry, and has decided to automatically charge %20 tip fee for any client who requests nail art.

I don't mind putting that up, but is there a nicer way to say it? Also, what if a client decides to ignore that sign? My boss told me to go ahead and remind them that this is a business and half of my pay depends on their tips, but geeeeeez that sounds so straight forward!

Should I be growing a pair?

PS, sorry I should have put this is Biz Geek! Hope someone moves it <3

Last edited:
tipping seems to be more usual in the usa. over here its just an added bonus if a client tips you, not part of the price.
i make sure my charges cover the work done rather than relying on a clients generousity or lack of it to suplement my wages.

personally i feel that if a client is handing over $90 they shouldnt really be expected to cough up any extra or be judged because they do or dont.

its up to you or your boss to pay your wages, not the client.
perhaps its time to look at your charges instead.

tipping seems to be more usual in the usa. over here its just an added bonus if a client tips you, not part of the price.
i make sure my charges cover the work done rather than relying on a clients generousity or lack of it to suplement my wages.

personally i feel that if a client is handing over $90 they shouldnt really be expected to cough up any extra or be judged because they do or dont.

its up to you or your boss to pay your wages, not the client.
perhaps its time to look at your charges instead.

I totally agree with Susan here, if you are doing detailed art work on your clients nails you should be charging appropriately for your time and expertise, not relying on a clients generosity or lack of it!

I agree entirely with the other posters. Surely if it's an expected & set extra that you have to pay on top of the service then it stops being a gratuity & instead becomes part of the actual price?!! Why doesn't your boss just up the prices?

I agree entirely with the other posters. Surely if it's an expected & set extra that you have to pay on top of the service then it stops being a gratuity & instead becomes part of the actual price?!! Why doesn't your boss just up the prices?

Thanks for the responses!
Yahh, we talked about that too. It does suck that I have to rely on tips to really get my money for the art I do. She wants to go ahead and raise the prices for art, but we've been open for almost 2 months now...

Do you think I can just continue charging the old price for the clients who have come in already, and start charging the new price for new clients?

Latest posts

Back