Greasy Hair tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly.W

Reaction score
Hi All,

I normally post on the Beauty forum but was hoping you all may be able to help me with a hair question? :)

I have really greasy hair! I've tried over the years every shampoo available from shops; I’ve tried ones specifically for greasy hair and others like normal, etc. I even tried baby shampoo!! (People often comment on the amount of different bottles I have in my bathroom, lol)

I try and only wash my hair every other day (morning) and use the dry shampoo spray in between, but I think my hair has got used to this and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I really don’t want to have to wash my hair every day as I know this will make it worse.

I have dark brown, long hair, it’s fairly fine, but I have a lot of it! People always said I’d 'grow' out of greasy hair, but I’m 24 now!

Does anyone have any tips or products they would recommend?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I’ve waffled on a bit :)

Kel -x-

hi there im 24 too and suffer from this problem a lot I have a few tips so hopefully they will help you out

*always wash your hair twice
*if you can use a clarifying or lacquer remover shampoo this may help remove build up of product on the hair
*try not to over condition your hair
*when washing your hair dont scrub your scalp to hard

By washing your hair twice the first wash will lift any dirt /grease up off the hair and the second wash will remove it, sometimes we all go a bit mad with hair products sprays/mouses etc so by using a clarifying shampoo or lacquer remover shampoo it can help remove a build up of product on your hair. if you condition your hair try and use it just on the ends of your hair and give your hair maybe a all over treatment once a week depending if you have colour on your hair, the cause of greasy hair is due to an over active sebaceous (sp)gland in your scalp and by rubing your scalp to much you can make it worse so dont scrub your scalp to hard when washing your hair .

you could also try a search on here to see what othert posts there are on greasy hair.
my hair is coloured and i find that it drys my hair up as bit so it tends only to get really greasy again when i need my roots doing .

hth a bit but im sure other geeks can give you good advice too :)

thanks for the reply and the tips!

I don't use products on my hair, only shampoo, and conditioner (every other wash). My hair tends to get worse if i use conditioner every time! I do only wash my hair once, i'll have to try twice and see if this helps :)

Any one else out there with any tips?
Thanks
-x-

Your diet may have an influence. I know when I've cut out fat from my diet my hair is no longer as greasy as before.
I use a shampoo specifically for a greasy scalp - it's a Wella Salon Professional one. It does seem to have calmed the grease down a bit!

I use dry shampoo!! best thing ever!! tescos £1.99 ;) got a green lid!! cant remeber what it is called:)

I use Talc! its great i sprinkle a load on before i go to bed,give it a good brush through and it seems to absorb excess oil by the morning.

Also a more expensive option is Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion,it perks up hair in need of a wash and also thickens up to 17%.

I also think the more you wash your hair the more it wants to be washed,try not to touch or fiddle with your hair as it activates glands to produce more oil.

I tell this to all my clients and now most of them are weekly washers! sounds a bit yuck but anyone who does that has fantastic condition hair because of the lack of Blowdrying/Straightening...

I have the same problem and i'm not a hairdresser but the best shampoo i have tried is Kerastase.
It's worth paying that little extra for a good shampoo and it lasts for months because you only need to use small ammounts.

Try that aswell as all the great tips the other ladies have given you :hug:

Thanks everyone!

I've tried the talc one before and it makes my hair really static!
I'll have to try the other products you all suggested!
Kel -x-

Latest posts

Back