Great article in the Daily Mail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just read all the comments and green-arrowed all the positives and red-arrowed the negatives but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Some of the comments are just awful! :(

God, I HATE the Daily Mail - 2 days ago there was a nasty sneering article pulling NVQ2 beauty therapy students to pieces. I think they must have a new beauty editor with an axe to grind or something.

*groan*

I remember that interview. Told them mould didn't grow on nails and a fungal infection caused by wearing enhancements was on par with the odds of a lottery win. Lots of misinformation in there, but less than usual which I guess is an improvement.

The truth is much more mundane. Mundane doesn't sell because we as consumers don't buy mundane. We exclusively buy hype and sensationalism. And around and around we go :)

Find a good technician and try again! :green: I'm sure you will get some volunteers.

Thinking about it, it must be very hard for a member of the public to know a good technician from a bad one. Either before they book a service. Or sometimes even after.

For people not "in the industry" what have you got to go on?

Usually a friend whose nails you admire . . . . ask where she had them done and bingo.

Or maybe an attractive salon.

Whatever, it's pretty hard if you just want to get your nails done, to know who's going to trash them for you and who isn't.

Thinking about it, it must be very hard for a member of the public to know a good technician from a bad one. Either before they book a service. Or sometimes even after.

For people not "in the industry" what have you got to go on?

Usually a friend whose nails you admire . . . . ask where she had them done and bingo.

Or maybe an attractive salon.

Whatever, it's pretty hard if you just want to get your nails done, to know who's going to trash them for you and who isn't.

Its very hard to find a good tech, even if you do know what to look for!

I recently found a CND Master Technician locally and thought I'd struck gold but sadly this wasn't the case. I should have spotted the warning signals right at the start when she didn't even bother to fill out a Client Record Card, and it was downhill from there unfortunately.

I've been wanting to find someone to do mine as well but I can never find anyone to do them as I don't know who to trust.

I recently found a CND Master Technician locally and thought I'd struck gold but sadly this wasn't the case. I should have spotted the warning signals right at the start when she didn't even bother to fill out a Client Record Card, and it was downhill from there unfortunately.

Flippin heck!
Dare I ask what you did about it?

I can only speak from the outside looking in, but lets be clear here, paying over the odds doesn't mean to say you are going to get a great technician either. I also know people who have trained in lots of things, got the qualifications and haven't got a clue.

The cheap and cheerfuls (or grumpies) will always come and go, they could be cheap for a number of reasons from buying poor, cheap products, to not being trained to actually being okay but have no business savvy whatsoever, they won't last long as we know.

I have also seen salons that have obviously put a lot of money into the salon and the furnishings, decor etc and the prices are well above what I would call a reasonable price and the standard is appaling. However you will always get clients who will go to the ultra expensive because it is ultra expensive, but they soon see when the treatments they receive aren't up to scratch.

You live and die by your reputation and the only way you can keep that is by the service you provide, the training you keep up to date with and ensuring you are on top of your game and never ever get complacent or greedy.

If you have a loyal client base and an ever increasing client base then you must be doing things right. It is not easy, it is hard work, dedication and caring about the service you provide, the quality of products you use and the clients you have.

as for the Maily Dail....... I despair........ they haven't got a clue, they are there to sell papers and unfortunately a lot of people read stuff from the press and believe everything. Such a shame and although there may be some balance in the article there appear to be a lot of inaccuracies.

I will use my favourite saying..... the cream always rises to the top.

Flippin heck!
Dare I ask what you did about it?

Hi Lynne - I haven't done anything about it as yet. It was a pre-holiday treat and I've only been back a few days. What would you suggest? Do CND do anything about this kind of scenario, or is my only form of redress to complain to the tech herself?

Another great thing about this news article is the comments section below it, I think it is very interesting to see what myths about nail enhancements are still doing the rounds amongst the general public, we can get to work on these right away with our new clients and put the trust back in :)

I also wanted to treat myself to a set of L&P by a CND Master Nail Tech in my area.

No client card filled out and I was gutted when I found out she was using CND liquid but Entity powder - she said it gave a better result......

So frustrated with myself for letting her continue to do my nails as I should know better.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back