Green hair help please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie-Liz

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
My friend has had a DIY colour disaster and asked me to fix it. Her hair was stripped with colour b4 and an ash brown box dye was put on making it greeny/turquoise. I am qualified using Goldwell, but with limited experience, I am very keen to learn how to rectify this, I have some ideas but am a little anxious about saying in case it's wrong. She's naturally a base 5 and was aiming for this but since all she has done is used box dyes (xxl live mainly) to achieve plums, violets, purples and even black like there's no tomorrow I'm hardly surprised she has ended up with an undesirable result. I would tone with warmth but what neutralises turquoise? Would I be better bleach bathing first? The result of her attempt is patchy. Or should I just point her in the direction of a better hairdresser? I spend my life doing normal highlights cuts and root applications on the same set of clients week in week out, I have "rescued" a few blondes with too much warmth and taken blondes to brunette but this is new to me. Sorry if this seems like a ridiculous post, my confidence has never ever been present let alone high. I am very happy to sort out the shocking hair cut her mother gave her recently but this I'm unsure of. Here is a pic of what I have been asked to fix. Thanks for reading x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421265045.747773.jpg

Think back to your colour star, what neutralises green?

clippers... thats what neutralises that kind of green...:D

Obviously red neutralises green if we're talking for real. Ive fixed something like this but I had to use Goldwell 6VV. It was beautiful in the end.

If I had a friend in this situation and she were willing to let me experiment Id take a few clippings for some strand tests. Id test a few ideas out that way. Id try bleach and see how it lifted, obviously do an incompatability test too. Id just try a few different things to see what you can get to make the hair look pretty again. Id use her desired look as a guide, like some workplaces dont allow bright red/violet hair. In that case Id play around with a few different brown tones to see what will work.

I dont think you can predict how any colour will turn out with all that she's done to her hair already, thats why I suggest the strand tests.

Why don't you do a gentle shampoo cleanse (within a few minutes the green tinge will come out ) and then colour with your chosen shade?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had this problem when I used directions purple on my hair! I was blonde at the time and bleach and highlift did nothing but make it brighter, I had my hair pre piged before putting red on it, when I decided to go back blonde it all just bleached out with it! Plus it was only one application of red put on too. I think it was 6.5 put on in keune we used. Hope that helps

Lmao clippers indeed!

Thank you everyone, besides doing the incompatibility test I will take some clippings for experimental purposes, just to see what can be achieved. I do love that idea.
I knew red neutralised green but in my head I was over complicating matters and thought it would be a good idea to just get some info from more confident geeks.
I also worry about the condition of her hair after what it's been through lately. She's quite bold and experimental with colours usually do no restrictions on just Browns in that sense. Her hair was an amazing bright violet 2 months ago, so she isn't shy with colour choice to say the least. Cheers again geeks, I don't know why I was so unsure x

Latest posts

Back