Green hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knowledge on why this has happened, basically a colleague who has highlighted hair level 9 has suddenly turned a tinge of green only very light but noticable, we haven't coloured it for about 6 weeks previously had blonde highlights and the 9/60 illumina toner and was fine obviously its gradually faded out and is more yellowy now but last week suddenly looked greeny? She had used a purple shampoo which looked a bit purple after using so I was thinking maybe it had more blue in it and had faded mixing with the yellow and leaving it green, my other thought was the water and a build up of minerals so we used the wella color renew today to try and get rid of any tone incase it was the shampoo, it helped but is still there. I dont have a photo but it's more of a pale minty green but still looks gold does anyone know anything we could put on to remove or neutralise it? Sorry for the long post! , she also hasn't been swimming or anything like that

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knowledge on why this has happened, basically a colleague who has highlighted hair level 9 has suddenly turned a tinge of green only very light but noticable, we haven't coloured it for about 6 weeks previously had blonde highlights and the 9/60 illumina toner and was fine obviously its gradually faded out and is more yellowy now but last week suddenly looked greeny? She had used a purple shampoo which looked a bit purple after using so I was thinking maybe it had more blue in it and had faded mixing with the yellow and leaving it green, my other thought was the water and a build up of minerals so we used the wella color renew today to try and get rid of any tone incase it was the shampoo, it helped but is still there. I dont have a photo but it's more of a pale minty green but still looks gold does anyone know anything we could put on to remove or neutralise it? Sorry for the long post! , she also hasn't been swimming or anything like that

That’s so weird! It must be the purple shampoo which one was it? I’d do the same as you’ve done try to cleanse the tone out then I’d put a warmer toner on it to counteract it.
I had a client similar to this but hers was like khaki green after putting a lilac direct dye on, so we cleansed the tone out and toned it to a 9.3 and it covered it

It was the bleach london silver shampoo shes used it many times before and it's been fine and so have I so not sure if somethings changed in the formula

I'd use a deep cleansing shampoo, leave it on for 5mins. And then use 9/6, illumina or instamatics muted mauve to tone. This will neutralise the yellow and leave you with a cleaner colour, because you're taking the yellow out of the equation. Otherwise you could try bleach and water. But whatever you do don't use bleach and developer on it. You have to treat it like a direct die.

I'd use a deep cleansing shampoo, leave it on for 5mins. And then use 9/6, illumina or instamatics muted mauve to tone. This will neutralise the yellow and leave you with a cleaner colour, because you're taking the yellow out of the equation. Otherwise you could try bleach and water. But whatever you do don't use bleach and developer on it. You have to treat it like a direct die.

Thankyou! I'm colouring her hair in a couple of weeks but was going to do a strand test first to make sure nothing strange happens when lightening, but will cleanse and tone in the mean time

It will be the purple shampoo. As the hair is bleached, it’s probably quite porous and if she left it on a long time, it might have stained the cuticle layer. If it doesn’t come out with a deep cleansing shampoo, you’d be better off neutralising it with a toner.

It will be the purple shampoo. As the hair is bleached, it’s probably quite porous and if she left it on a long time, it might have stained the cuticle layer. If it doesn’t come out with a deep cleansing shampoo, you’d be better off neutralising it with a toner.

Thankyou, yeah she did say she'd left it on for a while so I think it must be the shampoo

It's probably because her hairs bleached (yellow tone) and she added silver shampoo that had blue tone in it. And obviously yellow and blue = green. I'd do a bleach bath but just use deep cleansing shampoo instead of developer, that should get rid of the unwanted tones

Latest posts

Back