Grey coverage help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hailskay

Reaction score
So my mum is a natural 5,but has lots of grey,apologies I'm useless at percentage of grey,it's basically all over but still has her natural colour showing through and front hairline is very resistant.
Yesterday I coloured her hair bleach 6% in foils then flooded through illumina /8 8/69 with touch of 5/18 12% but around the front hairline 88/0 6%.i only developed for 35mins as some grey areas was looking purpley!
End result was lovely but not great coverage on grey,very translucent and very slight hint of purple.
So when lightening hair with grey but dark naturally what's a good formula I really struggle,as don't want it too warm but don't want purple when knocking warmth out xx

Am not familiar with wella but isnt illumina a semi ? If it is you will only get 50% of coverage to 75% x

No illumina is permanent and gives 100% but I've heard results can be translucent,just after a good formula for trying to create a base 8/9 with tint from a 5 with lots of grey xx

Illumina is a permanent but there's not need to use 12% that's only going to open up the hair shaft and life it even more you only really needed to use 6% illumina is also a violet based colour hence why it probably went a bit purple, have you got a picture of your mums hair with roots ? And maybe I can help you a little further x

Illumina is a permanent but there's not need to use 12% that's only going to open up the hair shaft and life it even more you only really needed to use 6% illumina is also a violet based colour hence why it probably went a bit purple, have you got a picture of your mums hair with roots ? And maybe I can help you a little further x
But my mums a 5 and I need to lift to a 8/9 so 12% will give me that amount of lift?i get 6% to cover the grey but then I won't get the lift?itll also be purple from the 8/69 violet cendre tone.but I need violet to knock warmth when lifting 3-4 shades.

Ahh could you not then just tone it afterwards to knock the warmth rather that putting it on the roots maybe cause it will then kill the warmth but not necessarily make it go purple ? Xxx

Ahh could you not then just tone it afterwards to knock the warmth rather that putting it on the roots maybe cause it will then kill the warmth but not necessarily make it go purple ? Xxx
Ooohh yeah I hadn't thought of toning it afterwards,so maybe do 8/0 and 8/1 12% then tone afterwards,definately an idea to tone after thanks x

I never recommend using illumina for 100% coverage... it gives more of a sheer, translucent look. Some ladies like this and some don't. If you want 100% coverage you need to use 6% anyway. 12% will not cover white hair.

Is the hairline resistant?

I would mix 8/69 with 6/16 with 7/ and 6%. If your still not getting enough coverage you will have to use koleston

Hope this helps x

I never recommend using illumina for 100% coverage... it gives more of a sheer, translucent look. Some ladies like this and some don't. If you want 100% coverage you need to use 6% anyway. 12% will not cover white hair.

Is the hairline resistant?

I would mix 8/69 with 6/16 with 7/ and 6%. If your still not getting enough coverage you will have to use koleston

Hope this helps x

That does help Thankyou :) but what about the natural hair Inbetween the grey?will that lift ok with 6%?once her roots come through I'll get a pic :) the front hairline is so resistant and white when I used 88/0 6% for 40mins it hadn't fully covered :-( I'm not very confident lifting hair with tint when grey too,always worry about tones grabbing X

It's just a case of using the right colours and 6% will lift perfectly, 12% is more than likely going to ruin the hair shaft hence why it's not taking very well because your lifting the hair cuticle much more tHan you want to x

It's just a case of using the right colours and 6% will lift perfectly, 12% is more than likely going to ruin the hair shaft hence why it's not taking very well because your lifting the hair cuticle much more tHan you want to x
Cool next time I do her hair I'll use 6% xx

Latest posts

Back