Grey Hair Colour change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjs

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently studying for the my level 2 part time and I have my mother in law coming into college on Wednesday night. Her hair is dyed black and about an inch of grey route. She wants to go lighter so that it's easier to manage when the grey comes through and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do this, without the grey being so noticable. Her hair is shoulder length and I will be cutting it as it's in bad condition. If I ask my tutor to much I won't be assessed so I'm thinking of ideas before I go in. Thanks.

Hi there,

The job you are describing is for a level 3 assessment as this is a colour change and i imagine the assessment you are doing is for root application!
If her hair is a true black it will take a few processes (colour reducer/removal) to get it lighter and i doubt u will have the time to do this in your assessment, Hope this helps!

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm not sure which assessment it will be until I decide what to do, we don't have set nights for assessment, we just do whatever we need to be assessed on. I thought it may be a route regrowth but when she said that she wants it lighter I'm thinking maybe highlights. It's a tricky one really, but she can come in college a number of times if need be.

Hi , Perhaps you could get around the problem by doing some prep work at home first ,
I dont know how far into hairdressing you are ?
and I dont know what you are capable of and what you are not

but only if you are competent you could do some work at home first

you could do take some cuttings
and test piece the hair first
and see if your relatives hair will lift up a few shades lighter with a bleach product

then if the test pieces lift up even and well ?

and you have a bit of experience of doing
bleached highlights with a cap before ?

you could pull lots of very fine pieces through the cap
and add some warm highlights

this mingled in with the dark hair
will give the hair an overall illusion of a med brown shade

and then when you go to college you can do the roots a med brown ,

if you need to ask us any questions on the above procedure
then I would say to you ,
that you are not quite ready yet ,
for doing highlights over dark hair ,

and it may be better to wait until you have been shown
(as it is really a colour correction)

but if you have done this all before ?
the above procedure may be a good way forward for you :hug:

hey im also doing my level 2 hairdressing at college at the moment....i dyed my hair black and it were very hard to lighten it would take quite a few lifting sessions and i couldnt have mine done all at once

whats her own base colour and what base shade does she hope to achieve? if she is grey is she just aiming for a natural looking shade as opposed to black and grey? like say an 8 or summit? x

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. She has been dying her hair black herself for years and her own hair colour is pure grey. She's aiming for something lighter so that when the grey comes through it won't look as bad. To be honest her hair is that grey that it will be noticeable when it grows through even if the rest is light brown brown. She may be able to maintain it easier now if she has a hairdresser on hand (me!!) it maybe the case with this one that I may not be able to be asssessed as I may have to ask my tutor a lot of advice, If i can't be assessed at least it will be good experience for the future. I will be able to be assessed on the cut and then on doing the colour next time.

Latest posts

Back