Grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileKat

Reaction score
I have a young client who has had grey hair since she was 16, she has now decided to bite the bullet and go grey all over. Her natural hair colour is a base 6 but she has some blonde highlights through the front, I would say that she is 40% grey (only on top, nothing underneath).

My conundrum is this, I've never had a client actually want to go grey, I'm used to doing everything possible to avoid the grey.

I was thinking of doing a full head bleach foils then toning with a grey toner (not even sure if this is available tbh), but the client has now decided she wants 3 different colours, 2 grey & 1 blonde.

Is this even possible? If not, what would you do if you were faced with this client?

Many thanks xxx

Last edited:
Does anybody have any advice? xxx

Affinage 9.117 is beautiful silver, you can put it over hilights or full head blonde and it looks awesome. The whole affinage gothic range is designed to either blend in grey hair for natural effects or as fashion colours. 9.117 is the nicest colour though.
Also colour touch 8/81 but its nowhere near as strong as the above. You have to leave it on a while and watch it go grey else it will be just a nice cool blonde.
I dont think 3 colours is necessarily the best option. It might make it look too murky. Maybe do a full head bleach and you could do say the majority 9.117 and then do some darker slices in a 6.117 to give it some depth.
Would look more fashion than natural, but depending on how old this client is it might be better to do that first, because it might come as total shock going grey all over and she might hate it. So best to try silver grey first because it can pass as trendy.

Last edited:
Thank you, is this affinage 9.117 to be used as a toner with 3% developer? Not familiar with affinage at all, am used to l'oreal xxx

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would make sure you let her know the difference between silver and Grey.. To my silver is a bluey look and grey is more of a flat white than a blue.. Hope that made sense. It sounds like her hair is "salt and pepper" so I would just add the salt
I would do VERY fine foils to give the illusion of 'natural highlights' then I would tone them white- don't do too many as u don't want to make her "blonde" also make sure she buys a silver shampoo as any yellow can make it look dirty. I would tell her adding any darker silvers when they fade can leave brassyness plus if you re-do her highlights and hit any darker foils you will get warmth ruining all the ash you put in

The gothic range (4.117,6.117,9.117,10.117)
All don't lift any natural hair
9&10 are semis to be used with their developer
6&4 can be used with 10vol

Latest posts

Back