Gutted - no one is loyal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
Feel like giving up nails and tanning after this morning. :(

Feel so down in the dumps.

I was ment to be spending the day with my mum and sister and little boy. So I picked up my mum and drove to my sisters, when I got there I find out my sister has gone to a NSS and had a set of acrylic nails done. I'm fuming!!
Asked her why? And she turns and says she had them done cause I will only do her a free set once a month. She had a set of gelish with tips about 2 weeks ago and after about a week took the nails off as she was bored of them. She asked me for another set and I advised her I would do them nearer the time of my wedding (18th sept) she then turns to me and says she got them done as I had also done my brothers girlfriend a free set. But she had cut mine & my fiancée hair and is doing my hair for my wedding free of charge. We have an agreement of trade for trade. Which suits us both, she then carried onto say she was also annoyed I had invited my brother and his girlfriend around to my house for pizza the night I had my hair cut and why was she not invited?
I had not invited her as did not know she would be at my mums.

Another "friend" has also plastered across Facebook how she is getting a set of shellac nails done cheaply next week. When she had asked me to do her a set of gelish.

I have just paid for my fusion acrylic course and after all of this feel like selling my nail and tanning kit, I really don't see the point in doing this anymore as so called friends and family are no longer loyal and would rather go to a NSS or someone who has Bluesky shellac.

I've always wanted to be able to offer nails tanning etc and always loved this industry I've also planned on going back to college next year after I have had my baby (I'm 7 months pregnant) and plan on doing my nvq 2 in hairdressing.

Feel like its all been a waste so upset :( xx

Hi hun

Sorry to hear about all this. You must be feeling hurt. So :hug::hug:

But hey, don't lose heart. I've been doing nails for nearly 10 years and in that time, guess how many of those clients have been close friends or family?

Let's just say I can count them on one hand.

You can build your business without ANY help from them..... honestly.

And long term,you really don't want that many clients who want nails done for nothing or at a huge discount . . . proper clients who are willing to pay what you are worth are where it's at. x

Hi hun

Sorry to hear about all this. You must be feeling hurt. So :hug::hug:

But hey, don't lose heart. I've been doing nails for nearly 10 years and in that time, guess how many of those clients have been close friends or family?

Let's just say I can count them on one hand.

You can build your business without ANY help from them..... honestly.

And long term,you really don't want that many clients who want nails done for nothing or at a huge discount . . . proper clients who are willing to pay what you are worth are where it's at. x

Thank you for your reply :)

Im just so annoyed she went to a NSS when I have told what they use etc.

Trying not to let it get to me, but feeling a tad hurt and left questioning my skills etc. don't help being pregnant and wanting to cry at every little thing lol xx

Awwww <3 cheer up!

I've had similar "issues" ... Used to my sister's sister in laws hair , Color , Highlights, Wash Cut and and Blow dry. for FREE... she never even offered me a tip... this is something we did approx every six wks...One night one of my girlfriends went out to a bar with me and mind you she was only on her first wk of hair school... My sister's sister inlaw bumped into us.. they got chatty the next morning... this girl is at her house doing her hair!! I'm lke wtf.... on top of that gave her 60 dollars.. I seen her hair about a wk later and she was begging my to fix it... and at that point I washed my hands with her.... It can be very difficult "co mixing" work, business, services + frends and family... People can become very offish certainly when your sister and friend give you a hard time =( hang in there... Don't sell your stuff... losing your sister as client is better then losing her as your sister.... Not worth the fight.... You also have alot going on getting married! and being preggers.... emotions running high! things will smooth out ...

My sister's the same, she waxes her own eyebrows with veet strips and everything x

My sister's the same, she waxes her own eyebrows with veet strips and everything x

ughh nightmare lol family is full of too much fun!

My sister is also my client, she pays whatever the price is on my price list & does not batter a eye lid. It is and always has been my friends that expect a service for nothing or reduced discount, but it is those who do not want regular treatments & want one off cheapy's that do not look after their nails. On the other hand, my sister has regular treatments.

My sister is also my client, she pays whatever the price is on my price list & does not batter a eye lid. It is and always has been my friends that expect a service for nothing or reduced discount, but it is those who do not want regular treatments & want one off cheapy's that do not look after their nails. On the other hand, my sister has regular treatments.

Same here. My mum will pay what's on my price list. I only see my friends when I have an offer on. So now I don't discount and just have a loyalty card. I don't see them and my mum loves the loyalty card as she has had her nails done for years and was never rewarded for being a loyal client in the salon she went to before I set up mine. I'm finding people only serve themselves. It's just the way it is. Xx

I'm sorry to say, friends, family and clients are not loyal! Ever!

It's a load of tosh! But it's business, if she wants to go elsewhere let her! Means you've more time for proper clients, if she is being a bit spoilt because she wasn't invited to an evening that didn't involve her.... Oh well! We all have lives of out own! Don't give up! Have an early night tomorrow is a new day!

She will soon realise, my sis in law used to go to a local nss she even said to a few of my clients you would go too! Untill her fingers started to get very sore from excess use of the e file etc, she had the extensions removed and her natural nails were in a heck of a mess, no more visits to the nss a visit to me for solar oil and a vow never to return to one, she also tells "everyone" about how it ruined her nails!

Thank you all for your comments :)

Feeling better, and decided not to give up I've worked hard and trained hard. I'm going to carry on with my conversion course I have planned for end of month and go on to do my nvq in hairdressing next year. xx

I'm glad you're feeling better :) what I've always been told is that family & friends are the hardest customers. Don't sell yourself short and remember to tell yourself that your work is quality. Only customers of quality will want work of quality, it was probably best for you that she gets her nails done somewhere else, it means you don't have to put up with her BS. Give it time & she'll come back to you asking you to fix her jacked up nails*, hang on in there :) x

*you can either take full financial advantage of this, or tell her where to stick it! :p

Don't let it get to you lovey and certainly don't jack it all in. My clients keep my business afloat not friends and family, which is just how i like it.

I live on the coast, my mum and sis in london. I do mums nails for a fiver with shellac- she hates i charge so little, always stuffs more money in my pocket before she leaves, but she's been very kind in helping me with my business- loan of her flexible friend and even giving me a large sum of money out of her inheritance from her parents- i hate charging her a fiver tbh.

My sis on the other hand, is beginning to get a bit cheeky. Text to say she wants her nails done when am i coming up to London next. No plans in the next month. She never invites me for dinner or to come up and see her, though we always offer her. Anyway i just told her straight, you want them done, you can invite me over lol! Received a text basically saying yes come over on the 29th for a bbq, she wont be there till half six as shes having a spa day but welcome to come in the afternoon to see my niece and nephews and her hubby (basically a baby sitter!). Needless to say ive not replied yet!

So family and friends- you win some you lose some- but don't ever let it make you feel like you want to throw the towel in lovey!!

Keep chin up chuck x x x

I think we allow family extra privileges, so naturally feel let down if they either abuse, or don't treat us the same. It's the emotion involved that you wouldn't have with clients.

My husband bought his mum a large Solar oil a couple of months ago and still hasn't paid for it!

I allowed him to take this from stock without the exchange of cash at that time. This was the privilege that I gave to him of my own free will.
I know he will pay, but I continue to chase him for it for my accounts to be up to date.
He is still my world and I don't feel abused because he is just a nightmare for being unorganised, but this is just an example of the situations that we put ourselves into and allow to happen.

I have vowed never to do my sister's nails again after this time last year she was my model for my Acrylic course... after a week, she said they were lifting and going yellow - I went to her house, buffed the nails to remove yellowing but didn't know how to fix the lifting (our maintenance corse was 2 weeks later).

She had a huge go at me, threatened to rip them off so I would fail my course and said a lot of nasty things.

Of course they were going to lift, they were my first set! "The ones at [NSS Salon] never do this, you must be sh*t".

Instead of infilling her nails at the maintenance day, I Infilled one and she demanded I soak off the rest.

I don't get involved now and like I said, never doing her nails again. She later admitted she was jealous that I was "stealing her idea" (she dropped out of NVQ1 Beauty when she was 17) and didn't want me to do better than her.

Selfish moo. We don't really get on any more :(

xx

I have vowed never to do my sister's nails again after this time last year she was my model for my Acrylic course... after a week, she said they were lifting and going yellow - I went to her house, buffed the nails to remove yellowing but didn't know how to fix the lifting (our maintenance corse was 2 weeks later).

She had a huge go at me, threatened to rip them off so I would fail my course and said a lot of nasty things.

Of course they were going to lift, they were my first set! "The ones at [NSS Salon] never do this, you must be sh*t".

Instead of infilling her nails at the maintenance day, I Infilled one and she demanded I soak off the rest.

I don't get involved now and like I said, never doing her nails again. She later admitted she was jealous that I was "stealing her idea" (she dropped out of NVQ1 Beauty when she was 17) and didn't want me to do better than her.

Selfish moo. We don't really get on any more :(

xx
I'm so glad you took no notice of her and carried on, looking at your profile picture - stunning nails xx

Same here. My mum will pay what's on my price list. I only see my friends when I have an offer on. So now I don't discount and just have a loyalty card. I don't see them and my mum loves the loyalty card as she has had her nails done for years and was never rewarded for being a loyal client in the salon she went to before I set up mine. I'm finding people only serve themselves. It's just the way it is. Xx

Oh I could never charge my mom =( I can't even get money from her if she makes me do a store run lol...

Oh I could never charge my mom =( I can't even get money from her if she makes me do a store run lol...

I'm exactly the same... I could never charge my mum, after everything she has done for me over the years and after bringing me up! No way could I charge her a single penny! We argue all the time because she wants to pay... No chance!
I'm also the sme that if she asks me to pop to the shops I don't take money off her x

<3 no way lol... my mom & dad are my life... lol my 3 kids are my everything... my husband hes a pain in the ass... lol but family is all your got man... and my mommy lol & daddy I would give em my last penny .. n yup I still call em mommy n daddy

Latest posts

Back