Gutted :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie99

Reaction score
So trying to set up my home salon in my spare bedroom literally have removed the bed and put in manicure table and shelves and a large chair for pedicures and the council have advised it's likely I will need planning permission for it :( I explained I only aim for a couple of clients per week and have parking etc available got all msds etc. They said it would cost around 335 pounds and thats payable up front before neighbours etc have agreed.
I'm just really gutted as it's such a simple thing etc I live in a small street with just 10 houses I Jusr don't understand the logic behind it and I explained I'm only doing it evenings between 530 and 9 with 15 mins gaps per client to reduce any traffic and cross over
Has anyone else had the same :(

Hi honey

I am not surprised you need planning permission as essentially you are changing the purpose of your home.

I know it is a small change and I am sure you will pose no inconvenience to your neighbours but it is worth doing it by the book.

It is a small price to pay for a successful business. Don't give up it's a small hurdle, once this is out of the way you will be laughing x

You may have to apply for planning permission if:

• Your home will no longer be used mainly as a private residence. This is the key test - has it become business premises first and a home second?
  • Your business activities will lead to increased traffic or parking in a residential area.
  • Your business involves any unusual activities for a residential area.
  • Your business may disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance, such as noise or smells.
  • You are making major structural changes to your property, altering or extending it.

This is taken from the business link website. You shouldn't need planning permission.

i know its so hard, im trying to really make it work. Ive had to pay £30 to just find out if i need planning permission, i really hope it doesnt need it otherwise it will be back to being mobile.

Everything else is sorted literally just this, i could completely understnad if it was full time, wanted to use my garage, had clients constantly, was having deliveries etc, but its a couple of clients etc but im not.

I know a couple of people in my area and makes me wonder whether they had to have planning permission too or if they have just not told the council. :( x

Really?? That seems a lot. My council said I didn't need to inform them unless I was doing piercing. I would check with someone else before you pay out. Good luck!

Well I spoke to the lady in charge of planning :( just really confused my descison should be here by Monday xx

Hi,
Chin up chick, I had the same when I enquired, was told firstly no prob at all, second time to confirm s'thing was told definatelty not then spent 2-3 mths researching and went back to the council fully armed with research ready for a battle and was told the same as violet1 nothing needed only possible environmental health if I was doing tattooing or piercing etc.. As long as ur house is still fundamentally still ur home ur doing nothing wrong!! Thousands of peeps work at home!! In my village (very small place..!) there are 2 hairdressers, 1 physio, 1 osteopath and 2 other beauty therapists all working from home and I can assure you they have NOT told the council!!!
Just do ur research and be ready to fight ur corner!!
Good luck xx

hmmm i dont understand why you had to pay £30? i emailed my local planning to ask if i could errect a log cabin in my garden.if i needed to apply for planning permission: said its main use would be as a summer house to store my equiptment, as im mobile but would do ocassional treatments in there. cost me nothing to be told that i can errect it as long as it doesnt take up more than 50% curtilage, and is under 2,5m it can go up to boundary fences, thats 26x12ft! if 2.5-4m must be 2m from boundary fences. dont need planning permission. but because would store and use ocassionally that would be its main use, so would have to apply for planning permission for change of use. they decide if you can have this on no of cars and vechile movement per day and noise levels. so if you say due to the treatments you give, no noise and you will only have 1 client per day, You should have no problems getting it.

Remember to contact your home insurance company too if you are changing the use of your home from residential to residential + business. They might need to change your policy or premiums, and your insurance will probably be invalidated if you don't tell them.

You may have to apply for planning permission if:

• Your home will no longer be used mainly as a private residence. This is the key test - has it become business premises first and a home second?
  • Your business activities will lead to increased traffic or parking in a residential area.
  • Your business involves any unusual activities for a residential area.
  • Your business may disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance, such as noise or smells.
  • You are making major structural changes to your property, altering or extending it.
This is taken from the business link website. You shouldn't need planning permission.

I had the exact same thing when I first set up!!!

I got my room ready and then read things on here about needing permission from the council, so wanting to do things correctly I contacted my council and was told the exact same thing!!!!!

I was really ticked off and the thought of paying £350+ for a planning application which may not be sucsessfull was not a nice one!

Anyway, there was a thread about a similar situation which had the above information on it. Its on the business link site, but is actually from the Planning portal site:

Planning Portal - Working from home

So, my o/h phoned the council himself as hes really good with stuff like that and he spoke to someone else and mentioned these questions. The guy agreed that due to answering NO to the questions meant I probably wouldnt need a planning application, and we were to put in writing answers to those questions with a justification.

Did that and got a letter back from the head planner saying based on that information Id not need planning permission. However, if circumstances change and I start getting like loads of people all day then I would!

I think sometimes its who you speak to at the council and the obv want money for applications, when they know youve researched and seen the planning portal they seem to back down.

I've not done this so forgive me I'd I'm wrong but I was told at the newly self employed workshop that you don't need it if you dont change the room specifically's purpose. In other words keep a sofa and a tv in there or something and you def won't need it because it's a multipurpose room. Shouldn't affect your house insurance either x

I've not done this so forgive me I'd I'm wrong but I was told at the newly self employed workshop that you don't need it if you dont change the room specifically's purpose. In other words keep a sofa and a tv in there or something and you def won't need it because it's a multipurpose room. Shouldn't affect your house insurance either x

If you are having paying clients in your house then you are indeed using it as a business and the council CAN stop you from doing it!
Its up to the individual wether they inform the council like I did, but you know how snide people can be, theres always someone ready to dob you in!

As for house insurance.... You need to seriously look at that! Some insurance companies wont have it as you are allowing external people in your home and they are seen as a risk. If something happened and they got wind of it they can void your insurance and then your snookered!

Id say do things correctly because there is the real chance it will bite you in the ass at some point!

yes want to do it all properly, everything else is completly sorted, literally awaiting the go ahead, so im hoping to hear Monday. I will definelty argue my point across, just so gutting if this is the one thing that holds it all back! They did ask me if i was keeping a bed in there and i said no because i thought they would think it was unhygenic etc.
Thanks for everyones replies, i will let you know the outcome.... fingers crossed and then i can get advertising! xx

Hi hun, I had trouble with the council. Anyway I went above the 'snots' head and got things sorted. He was completely wrong and ended up appologising to me. My advice is to talk to the head of department just to clarify everything. I have forgotten what I called my thread but some excellent advice on there and positive attitudes, that really helped me along with a bad situation.

So I had a letter from council today and they have told me I need planning permission for a change of use for my treatment room as above on the basis of increased traffic in my street and I'm so so shattered and gutted just balled my eyes out ;( I envisaged a max of 12 people a week so 2 people a day just have no idea what to do :(

So I had a letter from council today and they have told me I need planning permission for a change of use for my treatment room as above on the basis of increased traffic in my street and I'm so so shattered and gutted just balled my eyes out ;( I envisaged a max of 12 people a week so 2 people a day just have no idea what to do :(

Oh no, that's a blow...but not the end of the world sweetie :hug:

How many parking spaces do you have on your drive? How many cars do you have? Is there a public car park near by?

I am just in the process of speaking to the council regarding this myself...waiting for a response to my email :Scared:

I know its poo! Have one space on my drive which could be used there is also ample parking I'm a cul de sac plus on one side of the road, good luck :)

The cost for a change of us is £355 and that's not guaranteed it will be accepted I don't expect to make that back for a couple of months!

The cost for a change of us is £355 and that's not guaranteed it will be accepted I don't expect to make that back for a couple of months!

I would DEFO take this further ad I have contacted mines aswell because I am planning on doing the same and they had no issues whatsoever. Try what Matthew said above. Or have you already? X

Hmmm, just checked my email and have a response saying I have to pay £45 for them to look into whether I need planning permission. I can just call or drop in but no advise will be put in writing, and so I think I will pay the money and see what happens :grr:

Latest posts

Back