Had Acrylics removed and nails look rough and ugly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffygb

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not a nail technician so if I am way out of order posting on this site then I will leave well alone, but I am after some advice.

I had a full set of acrylics (first time ever) put on 3 weeks ago - was going to get them filled but my index finger one broke off taking some skin with it. Decided to have them taken off and let my nails grow before having any done again. I went to the salon that put them on and asked them to take them off. I am not aware of what services are offered as I have never had it done before. The nails were soaked off in what seemed to be watered down acetone, except for the broken one as I thought it may sting. Then they were filed with something resembling a dremel craft drill. My nails looked nasty and I asked the woman if she could do anything to make them look better, other than a new full set.

The salon is run by some very sweet asian (possibly thai) ladies, who I have trouble understanding, as do they me. She put something on that I believe she said would strengthen them and then painted them. I am wondering if I should have gone for a take off and overlay or take off and manicure, as all I seem to have got was a take off despite saying 3 times that I didn't want them to look nasty. Did I fail to ask for the correct service or is that just the way your nails end up if you have acrylics? Very disappointed at how poor they look and wonder if I should find another salon and get something else done.

Sorry again if this is not the place for this, but my web searches all seem to result in product listings rather than advice :cry:

Thanks for any replies

KW

Although this is a site for nail professionals you are very welcome to ask us for advice ... so welcome hun!

It sounds to me that your nails have been over filed by your technician and have resulted in nail damage. TBH if you go to a good nail technician the health of your natural nail should be as good as, if not better than when the product was applied. The advice I would give is to find a technician who values the health of your natural nail. Either get them manicured regularly until the damage grows out, or if they are not too bad a new set could be reapplied. The damage you have is only temporary, but you will have to wait for it to grow out I'm afraid.

There are quite a few nail geeks in your area who I am sure would love to restore the health of your natural nail. I don't mean to diss the place you have been to, but I wouldn't recommend going back there. JMHO

Thanks for the link 1999judy,

So basically my nails have been butchered and I should just grown them out and find a decent salon. Is there a governing body or way of knowing which ones won't do this to me again?

KW

could have been MMA they put on your nails for the enhancements. Did they use the electric file on your own natural nails before putting on the enhancements (acrylic)? How long did they take from start to finish the first time they did the acrylics?? Did all the nail techs wear masks all the time?? Did he acrylics smell odd when they removed them??

Hi there, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I think perhaps they didn't know you might be willing to pay for another treatment besides the soak-off. You mentioned soak-off and manicure or soak-off and overlay, but I don't get the sense they understood that might be an option (ie you would pay for that). Just the way I'm interpreting your post.

Having said that, I would find another place to get your nails done. There should be loads of geeks on this site who are near you, once they see this thread I'm sure you'll get some responses.

Oh, and welcome to the site :)

HTH!
Laura

I agree Sassy Hassy, they shall not see me or my money again :irked:

The nails seem very thin and have visible ridges where the filed area has grown out from the cuticle. Is there a list available of technicians in my area?

Thanks for your welcome and advice,

KW

I know we always go on about it but it really annoys me when people pay good money to have their nails done and they end up with problems. It gives us techs a bad name.

Thanks for asking fluffygb for advice and not just taking it for granted that enhancements can ruin your nails like some people do.

Hope your next set is better.

Thank you all again :)

In answer to your questions nailsbydesign:

It took around 45 mins to do the full set

They did use an electric file or 'dremel drill' before applying the nails

All the technicians had masks on the whole time (felt like and episode of ER!!)

Unsure if the smell was odd when they were removed but there was a generally unpleasant smell in the salon when I had them put on. So much so, that I went out at one point to get some air and get rid of a headache it was causing.

scratchmyback - you could be right that they didn't understand that I was prepared to pay for either of those services. I was hoping for them to guide me as the whole thing is new to me.

KW

Oh dear oh dear, If I had a £1 for every time I had a phone call just like this I'd be a rich girl.

You've had some good advice here, please dont go back to this place again. Find a technician in your area that values their clients an the health of their nails and you will be fine. I always hate to say it because it can sound condesending but you really do get what you pay for.
There are 3 NSS salons in my area charging £20 or less for a full set which takes them half an hour and the result never fails to astound me. If you were to see me or a technician trained to my level in this area you can expect to pay approx £40 for a full set which take 1hr 30 plus and £20 for infills but if you had a removal (about £10-£15) you have a nice set of natural nails buffed and polished with glossy nail strenthener and oil applied.

When oh when are we going to get licencing sorted in this country! Its making professional technicians look expensive and time wasting at the outset and then we have to pick up the pieces when nat nails get mauled and clients realise their mistakes.

If you lived a little closer to me I wouldnt hesitate to come over and sort them out for you just to show you how its done. Its very frustrating for everyone.

I think that you should make a complaint to your local Trading Standards office. We see this kind of damage all the time in this, currently unregulated industry....the more customers complain to the authorities and open their eyes to what is being done, hopefully the more they will listen and do something about it.

I'm sorry you had such a bad first experience of our industry, and I hope by finding this site you haven't been put off forever :hug:

fluffygb said:
Thank you all again :)

In answer to your questions nailsbydesign:

It took around 45 mins to do the full set

They did use an electric file or 'dremel drill' before applying the nails

All the technicians had masks on the whole time (felt like and episode of ER!!)

Unsure if the smell was odd when they were removed but there was a generally unpleasant smell in the salon when I had them put on. So much so, that I went out at one point to get some air and get rid of a headache it was causing.

scratchmyback - you could be right that they didn't understand that I was prepared to pay for either of those services. I was hoping for them to guide me as the whole thing is new to me.

KW
This definitely sound like MMA to me as the answers you gave to my question all fit in with MMA....it is the electric filing of the natural nail plate that causes all the damage as it is the only way they get MMA to stick to the natural nail plate. Never go there again as some people have had their nail pktex virtually removed by tech like them with holes and splits as well. No tech worth her salt should ever file the nail plate all they should do before applying product is to lightly remove shine in the direction of the nail growth with a very fine 240 grit buffer. You did right to come on here and ask us at least now you know what to look for and what to avoid. These people definitely need reporting to the local authority for the damage they have caused, it is salons like them that are the reason nail tech get a bad name. Take some photos of the nails just incase your local authority want them if they take action against this salon. If you find another salon ask what products they use and the makers name and then ask us......we will be able to tell you if they are reputable products they are using and if anyone ever takes an electric file or any other file to your natural nails then run a mile!!

Without confusing the original poster, can I just say that we should be very careful when saying that a salon uses MMA, we have no proof unless it has been chemically analysed ... however that said, it definitely sounds like an NSS salon as mentioned in the link given above. Whatever, there is damage done which was unnecessary.

If you let us know which part of Kent you are in I am sure we can direct you to someone who will take care of you, speak the same language as you, and look after your nails.

Well a lesson has been learned the hard way (or not so hard if talking about my nails!!) by this lady :eek:

I live in Halstead nr Sevenoaks, Kent.

I know I keep saying this, but thank you so much!!

KW

fluffygb said:
Well a lesson has been learned the hard way (or not so hard if talking about my nails!!) by this lady :eek:

I know I keep saying this, but thank you so much!! [KW quote]

You're welcome hun:) :)

I'm sure we were all only too pleaseed to help but do US a favour and spread the word for us amongst your friends and family about salon differences.
Best of luck in your search for beautiful nails!!

fluffygb said:

I know I keep saying this, but thank you so much!!

KW

Don't forget to call Trading Standards...you have been done a definate disservice!

Hi, What do you mean skin came off with your nail when you broke it, why did you feel you had to let your nails grow before you could get another set, most nail biters get extensions or sculpts or overlays. I do feel sorry for what happened you but please do not let that put you off there are many brilliant nail techs out there. My advise would be to always go to a recognised nail tech (someone who is doing nails all the time, not beauticians who seem to be experts in all fields all of the time). I hope you find one soon, most good nail techs when they take off, as a matter of course do a manicure and strengthener job with polish or nail art. I certainly would never do a removal without the rest, it is important to me that the client (you) leaves my space feeling happy about their nails and not disappointed because they had extensions on.

Where abots in Kent are you, I'm in Rochester and wold be happy to see you and see if we can sort your nails out.

Hi,

I have already spread the word to both my Sister's about this salon, one of whom had her nails done the same time at the same place. Will get her to read some of the stuff on here to realise that although they are cheaper they are not better. Both of them just said to me that you expect your natural nail to be damaged from when you have this done. I kinda believed it too, but didn't expect them to look quite so crummy :irked: I will be spreading the word to anyone who will listen, including my Niece who has had her nails done several times in a similar salon.

mannipatch

When the nail broke it split straight across on the line where the skin and nail join. It was only hanging on by a piece of skin and it bled. I had to remove it so placed it under v cold water then gently pulled until it came away. It meant that I had an open area of skin and did not fancy trying to get any overlays put onto that. I am not totally put off - just wanna let my nails grow out and will then consider having it done again by someone more reputable/trained. The salon in question offers 3 options when removing - take off/ take off and manicure/ take off and overlay. I have no idea what was meant by overlay so said maybe a manicure. The woman who put my fingers in to soak went off to work on someone else, so I was finished off by a different one. I assumed that the second one knew what had been discussed by me and the first. Fatal mistake number 101!! As I have no experience of a professional manicure or removing acrylics I assumed that she was doing a manicure until I paid. She did apply some strengthener/polish but my nails still looked rough and ridged under that. She had left my nails cut straight across with sharp edges and barely filed them to shape. As I said originally, she couldn't understand my London accent, and I didn't understand her limited English. I decided to quit while I was remotely ahead and left. As I am now finding out, these salons don't seem to care if you are happy or not.

JoJoPearce

Hi, I am in Halstead nr Sevenoaks. I am a little way from Rochester, but thank you very much for your offer. I will let them grow out and then will think about having them done again.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and advice - I will be looking into local Trading Standards in the next few days.

KW

Latest posts

Back