Had to leave her nails 1/2 done :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe video tape yourself doing a full set? It may help you see where you can cut down on time. Face ther camera towards yourself or ask your client if she is comfortable being in the shot.

My daughter was the same way! My milk dried up at 6 weeks due to meds from kidney stones and she refused the bottle. Broke my heart! I bought the Playtex bottles with drop-ins and their nipples that are for breast fed babies (they are tan and a lot softer so they fit in the babies mouth like mommy's breast). She took to those immediately. They also worked for a cousin's baby. Idk if you can get them there, but they might be worth it for you. Also, the drop-in is a bag that you push all the air out of so their is less air in babies tummy.

Something i recommended for my students was the tips and white powder. Like the girls were saying just do smile line after smile line and use both idea of your tip so you dont waste. Or you could try the verse method which puts out a more perfect smile with less sculpting. Do your pink first and shape it round at the free end where your white would start then go back later and apply the white. When you file it should leave a pretty clean smile.
I feel your pain about the bf babies. Mine will be here in Feb and id like to bf for at least 6 Months or teeth whichever comes first. Its hard being a working mamma but dont let it get you down.

I have been qualified in nails since 2005 but only started doing them a year and a half ago as my occupation because when i 1st trained it was taking me 3 hours plus to do a full set , i can now do a full set in an hour 15 min and the same for infills, just keep practising you will get quicker xx

Im no where near as advanced as you are, I am still learning manicure and getting the hang of polish, but I think its wonderful that these ladies on here are always at hand to give great advice and support

Good luck to you x

omg ! i think you are doing really well, i breastfed my baby and they become really attatched to you, i wasnt working at that time and i just cant imagine it, i did the express thing (but i expressed too much once, oops ! i started producing way, way too much milk, omg, so be careful how much you do) lol
when my son was older i started nails and i did the same thing as you, lol, i went to a clients home, and i was always convinced that i would be faster this time and book my apps with this in mind, i was in the middle of a clients nails when i had to leave her half done to collect my son from school, she was so nice about it and so understanding, it took me 3hrs to complete a set at this time, my client was so encouraging, she kept saying dont worry you'll get faster
not all clients are going to be like this one, some can be downright rude, dont worry about those ones you really dont need that sort of grief at this stage and with a bit of luck those ones wont call back anyway, but its nice when you get the understanding ones and they help you along without even realising it, just by being quiet and patient
but i hope it helps you to know that your not the only one to have left half way through to collect your kiddy, teeheehee

Come on hun get a grip rome wasn't built in a day - stop being so hard on yourself!!! my first set took 4 hours LOL!!!! as you do more sets you will get better and quicker - I promise. children come first, clients who don't understand that you wont need. Take a breath, love it, live it and you'll be fab. xx

My first sets took 2 hours, that was over yen years ago. Now I'm down to 45 mins some days, usually one hour tho. Anyway that doesn't matter.
I got my times down by looking at each stage and making it quicker. For example, blending tips. Really work carefully but fast. Keep your head down, and keep working while you chat. It's the chatting that slows me down. Also make sure you are not working too wet with your l & p, so you have full control over the product.
Also do you use well less tips. A good quality, easy to blend tip is important for speed.
You are being tough on yourself as you have a young baby, not easy at all.

hi there, def dont worry too much, ur time to shine will come sooner than you think with sheer determination and hard work and millions of practice....when i started 13 yrs ago my 1st set took me 5hrs,my mum was ssooo patient bless her dinner was burnt too hahaha...but my timmings just made me more determined.... as i was only 17 of course i had no commitments then, so time to practice was on my side...just get as much experience as you can when u can and you will be fine....u will get there in the end...believe me in this industry where freebies are concercerned friends will come out of the wood work...works to our advantage tho...just remeber at this stage to chrge to cover costs only or free if you can to friends and family....keep smiling geeker:biggrin:xx

bless you, i so know what its like trying to get your time down, when i started doing nails 14 years ago it took me 3h 30 mins, but over time i got them down to 1 hour. it is all down to practice and you will pick up short cuts. i found instead of using white powder i would use white tips and apply natural powder on the tip and pink on the nail bed, so much quicker and you dont need to be as precise.
Also i got told by another nail tech to blend a clear tip before you apply to the nail then there is less blending in to on the actual nail, all these little things cut down on time and make life that little bit easier.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, honestly xx

wow... this is all sooooo true lol I qualified when I was pregnant and I did lots of clients in home due to being pregnant... maybe this is something you can look into. I never did any training appts outside my home. When I first started my business my daughter was very young so I only did in house appts. She is a breast fed baby and still is a breast fed baby. I work my appts around her schedule but I will say once on solids babies are much better and can be away from mom alot longer. I just know I have to be available at nap time and bed time... cause no one else can calm her but me. It will get easier :) Somehow I work round her and it works. Sometimes I was late for clients but most were mommies too so it all worked out in the end x

Latest posts

Back