Hair extension drama!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailAddiction

Salon Owner & Educator
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm popping over from beauty! I've just bought some new hair extensions (I'm a red) and couldn't get a good match so my friend said to get the bright red and we would tone them down by putting my colour over them.. I've put my colour over them twice and they have hardly changed!! The extensions are a bright red and mine is more of a ruby red.. I've got the extensions in now and have a wedding on Friday!! Can anyone suggest what to put on them, will add a picture now....

This is before I did my roots so my colour isn't a faded now...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351027761.788087.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351027761.788087.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 222
your extensions look very tinted, maybe try taking some of the colour out with bleach then colouring the extentions or if you buy some light brown ones and colour them the same colour you do your hair... might work :| x

your extensions look very tinted, maybe try taking some of the colour out with bleach then colouring the extentions or if you buy some light brown ones and colour them the same colour you do your hair... might work :| x

Please do not bleach extensions it will not end well

Not bleaching them, I've seen those disasters!! Buying brown isn't really an option as I've just spent plenty on these and only have tomorrow to mess with them!

Depending what type of extensions they are you may not be able to colour them to match.
If you can tell us what hair it is we should be able to say if it'll work/what to do.

I've personally tried to colour i&k 2 shades darker before (prebonded) and due to how highly processed and silicon coated the hair is the tint slid right off and down the drain.

Oh your kidding!! :( so I've not got a chance??

My hair was like this so I just done a ombré look into the extensions! If its real human hair it should cover! Xxx

My hair was like this so I just done a ombré look into the extensions! If its real human hair it should cover! Xxx

It says 100% real hair but I've sent them an email because they say you can colour them but you clearly can't! Think doing a ombré look may be my only option! X

You're gonna wreck those ones, by the looks of them you already have, why don't you just get a professional to do them its gonna save you time and money in the end x

This is before I did my roots so my colour isn't a faded now...

Your friends advice of 'get bright red' was very wrong, you look more like 99J to be honest.

As for I&K hair I beleive its chinese hair which has been acid bathed to shrint the cuticle and silicone coated - do not try and colour again as you will end up with a ball of candy floss stuck to your head.

The cheapest option to fix for now would be to get a few packs of 99J remove top layers and fit that over the bright red, you should get a better match for now, will give you a two tone effect.

In future I would go to a professional as taking short cuts never saves you money and you never get the best result.

Latest posts

Back