Hair extension maintenance advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L_Bailey

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I did my second hair extension maintenance yesterday on micro rings! The first on I did went very well, but this one hasn't! The client has lost 5 extensions already! :( I replaced a few of the rings that looked like they needed replacing and just moved the rest up!

Her hair was a bit greasy yesterday as it was due a wash and wondered if this was my problem! I have asked her to freshly wash it before returning on Thursday! I would do it for her but as its coming up to x mas I just don't have the time to! :(

Have got her booked in again for Thursday! Just wanted some tips and advice from people pleaseee or even your routine on how to do maintenance!
I'm doing everything as trained but obviously other training companies may teach different ways!

Thanks

Xx
Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi L_Bailey,

Sorry to hear you are having a bit of trouble at the moment.

How long had she had the extensions in before contacting you for maintenance and how many did she lose? It may not be anything you are doing wrong, but more her aftercare routine that could be affecting the bonds. Is her rate of losing them drastically different to your other clients?

Kind Regards

Hi geeks,

I did my second hair extension maintenance yesterday on micro rings! The first on I did went very well, but this one hasn't! The client has lost 5 extensions already! :( I replaced a few of the rings that looked like they needed replacing and just moved the rest up!

Her hair was a bit greasy yesterday as it was due a wash and wondered if this was my problem! I have asked her to freshly wash it before returning on Thursday! I would do it for her but as its coming up to x mas I just don't have the time to! :(

Have got her booked in again for Thursday! Just wanted some tips and advice from people pleaseee or even your routine on how to do maintenance!
I'm doing everything as trained but obviously other training companies may teach different ways!

Thanks

Xx

When you say moving them all up? Is that using the same rings you previously fitted ??

Hey! It's been a out 6 weeks since they were first fitted! So slightly over what I normally suggest of 4 weeks! And she lost around 20 in that 6 weeks!

And yea using the orgininal rings... Only replaced rings that needed replacing as I was taught to just move them up with the original rings on the first maintenance then the second replace all the rings :)

She seems to be taking good care of them so far! But she washed her hair after the maintenance appointment... Should I have advised to leave it a few days before washing to let them settle again? Xx

I have been doing all types of extensions for years and this is the only problem with Micro Rings I find its best to do a 1 hour Maintenance after 4 weeks and then on the 8th week do a "refit" moving them up on the second maintenance has caused my clients the same problem before (lots of slippage or losing more than expected). It could be that the grip on the rings are not as strong because they have been opened and closed a couple of times. :irked:

I know its hard to explain to clients but I would definitely recommend a refit on the 8th week it means the extensions will last slightly longer.
How much did you charge for the extensions in the first place? and how much do you charge for maintenance? this would give you an idea of how much to charge for a refit as you can sell it to them that their extensions will last longer having them refitted every 8 weeks (2 months) which is still a fairly long time.

I hope this has helped! good luck x:eek:

Hey! It's been a out 6 weeks since they were first fitted! So slightly over what I normally suggest of 4 weeks! And she lost around 20 in that 6 weeks!

And yea using the orgininal rings... Only replaced rings that needed replacing as I was taught to just move them up with the original rings on the first maintenance then the second replace all the rings :)

She seems to be taking good care of them so far! But she washed her hair after the maintenance appointment... Should I have advised to leave it a few days before washing to let them settle again? Xx

I was taught never to move up with old rings :/ maybe why there coming out cause there not as strong?

Do you not move up the rings on the 4 week maintenance then? What do you do on your first maintenance, just make sure there is no matting, slippage and replace any missing ones?

And the first set I did I didn't replace the micro rings but they stayed in well! So didn't know if it was that the clients hair was too greasy at the time of maintenance!

I think from now I will just replace the rings, as that way they should be strong enough!

I only charged £40 for fitting as I haven't been doing them that long and £20 for maintenance as like I said it's my second time, thankfully she is a good friend so understands I'm still learning what's best etc :)

Xx

Sorry for all the questions too :) but its always good to know how others get on and how they find things best to do :) xx

Sorry for all the questions too :) but its always good to know how others get on and how they find things best to do :) xx

I never ever use the same ring Hun. On first maintenance I check for matting, replace ones that have been lost, also ones that look like there not supported by enough hair. These ones I replace with all new rings. The second maintence for me would be a re fit
Who did you train with Hun x

I trained with oakley academy! :) thank you for your advice :)

Her hair grows quite quickly so would have to re fit every 4 weeks I think as she also has short layers on top! But will Defo be replacing all the rings on Thursday :)

Do you have any other tips for getting them to stay in more?

Xx

How much would you charge for replacing all the rings? As it would take the same amount of time as the fitting wouldn't it? X

Where you taught to just move the rings up too babychops?

I'm thinking I will charge the same as fitting as it will take the same amount of time!

When you do a refit to you remove all the extensions, wash the clients hair with a clarifying shampoo, dry and then refit the extensions ? Or do you just remove one then refit with a new ring and repeat on the next one?

Thank you all for being so helpfull :) xx

Where you taught to just move the rings up too babychops?

I'm thinking I will charge the same as fitting as it will take the same amount of time!

When you do a refit to you remove all the extensions, wash the clients hair with a clarifying shampoo, dry and then refit the extensions ? Or do you just remove one then refit with a new ring and repeat on the next one?

Thank you all for being so helpfull :) xx

No, I was told you shouldn't open the rings and push them up as it will weaken them, on maintenance appointments I replace any rings that need it and comb through any matting etc x

I trained with oakley academy! :) thank you for your advice :)

Her hair grows quite quickly so would have to re fit every 4 weeks I think as she also has short layers on top! But will Defo be replacing all the rings on Thursday :)

Do you have any other tips for getting them to stay in more?

Xx

Maybe slightly costly if you replace every 4 weeks cause initially it's like a new fitting all over again.
Aslong as your taking the right amount of hair to the extension and clamping firmly and the client is following aftercare correctly and most forget to hold the tops of extensions whilst brushing.
My clients only tend to loose maximum 4 at the moment.
I purchased some pliers that are quite good ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386591808.969324.jpg

Yeah I was thinking that it might be! So might see how she gets on with maintenance every 4 weeks and every 8 do a refit! But unfortunately her hair grows super quick :/ where did you get your pliers from?

And Defo will be taking your advice and checking for matting replacing bonds with not enough hair and missing ones on the 4 week maintenance then on a 8 week do a 're fit :)

Thanks so much guys xx

Yeah I was thinking that it might be! So might see how she gets on with maintenance every 4 weeks and every 8 do a refit! But unfortunately her hair grows super quick :/ where did you get your pliers from?

And Defo will be taking your advice and checking for matting replacing bonds with not enough hair and missing ones on the 4 week maintenance then on a 8 week do a 're fit :)

Thanks so much guys xx

How much do you charge for a re-fit? Sorry to be nosy just curious lol x

Haha that's okay! Will probs charge the same as my fitting which is £40, will pit my prices up a bit once I have got some more confidence doing them :) xx

Opening them and moving them up is the first no no I was taught. Funny how each company say different!
Make sure you let people know they are introductory prices whilst you learn, as sometimes people assume cheap means rubbish, and you'll struggle to put prices up later.
Remember each time you replace all the rings you are using more products, rings, time etc so charge accordingly.
I fit, do a maintenance at 6 weeks, and remove and re apply around 10/12 weeks. Some clients choose to come 4 weekly as their hair grows quickly, but most want to get as long as they can from their hair x

All my current clients are friends so know that my prices are cheaper as I haven't long qualified in hair extensions! But Defo will be using new rings every time I do a refit!

Maintenance every 4-6 weeks to replace any missing ones, check for matting, and 're secure any that need it and then every 8-10 weeks do a refit I think!

:) x

My clients wear for 3 months, remove and refit.
I would offer a 4 week check-up maintenance to put back any that have come out but expecting clients to pay every 4 and 8 weeks is not value for money and personally feel the slippage is down to application or poor aftercare which needs to be addressed. If all base has been covered then you might be best switching methods.

Latest posts

Back