Hair extensions and sunbeds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blahblah

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just got hair extensions, 100% human hair, installed through keratin method bonding. I have one questions, I used to go quite a lot to sunbeds, can I still do it? I mean would it not damage my hair extensions?
And also I bought the special Balmain shampoo to look after them (I've only had them for 3 days now and need to wait 2-3 more days before i can wash them) but it says "apply to roots and not midlength"? So am I not meant to wash the rest of the hair with this shampoo, just the roots?

If they have been in 3 days it is okay to wash them now. Infact I would recommend it or your natural oils will start to break the bonds down.

What the instructions mean is just wash your scalp. Simple way to remember is shampoo is for the scalp and conditioner is for the ends. You only need to clean your scalp, the run off from the suds will clean the rest. The shampoo is quite concentrated so you should only need one pump, it doesn't lather a great deal but don't let that put you off.

It is okay to go on sunbeds, I would just cover your head so the extensions don't fade from the UV exposure. :)

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I just went over the after care instructions left to me by the hair extensionist and they say that u meant to leave it for 5-7 without washing. She didnt use the pre bonded strands but rather did it all by hand, I don't know whether it makes any difference or not? But i am so desperate to wash my head, as it's all itching and doesnt look very good at the moment.. :(((
Also about shampoo, u meantioned that shampoo is for scalp and conditioner is for the rest of the hair, so I dont need to wash the actual hair extensions with shampoo? My hair is naturally quite oily and if I dont wash it, it looks awful. I used to use Bed Head, Smooth and Sooth shampoo, here is some info abut it:
Heat & Humidity Resistant Sulfate-Free Shampoo to Smooth & Soothe
Sulfate-free shampoo keeps you looking hot without the bother. A refreshing blend of avocado, grape, aloe and cucumber forms a barrier to make hair smooth and guard against humidity, UV rays and thermal damage. Cool it and banish bad hair days forever!

• Cleanse Factor: Light-Moderate
  • Resists humidity and controls frizz
  • Smoothes cuticle and adds shine
  • Lightweight UV protectant
Do you think it will be suitable to use on hair extensions? I also use the multivitamin shampoo, by bed head?

Thank you for your time :))

If you have Balmain extensions you only have to leave them 24 hrs before you wash them after fitting. Also you should only be using the Balmain shampoo on them. DO NOT use the Tigi as you will end up with a matted mess of extensions.
You should be washing your extensions every other day if you get oily hair and yes just the scalp needs washing, the suds will take the oil out of the rest.

Hope this helps. :)

its not recommened that you go on the sunbed cos thers a chance that the heat will melt the glue

when using the shampoo id say apply it to your root then just run it through the rest of the hair :)

its not recommened that you go on the sunbed cos thers a chance that the heat will melt the glue

when using the shampoo id say apply it to your root then just run it through the rest of the hair :)

It is safe to go on a sunbed with Balmain hair ext. They will not melt.

It's absolutley fine to use sunbeds while wearing extensions.
If the sunbed is getting hot enough to melt the bonding i'd say it was broken. :eek:

I've tested Tigi products on various methods and although i like them in natural hair they did nothing for extensions...
Dumb Blonde, Self Absorbed and the Rock Star leave in conditioner all make my hair look great but on my ext - dry, frizzy with greasy roots. Not a good look.

I'm assuming you haven't got balmain extensions - just the shampoo (you said it was by hand so i'll go with non branded fusion)
As a rule i try to streer clear of anything that claims to "control frizz" as it often translates to "will coat your hair in cr*p"
Just remember that with extensions less if definatley more when it comes to products.
The extensions product ranges are very good but can make your hair worse sometimes if you have greasy hair.

To wash hair shampoo the roots as normal and stroke through the lengths of the hair, rinse well, squeeze gently and then apply conditioner to the extensions from the nap of your neck down. rub your hands together and make like you are about to put your hair in a ponytail. (coats a fine file on conditoner but not enoug to affect the bonds as these shouldn't be around the hairline.)
Rinse thoroughly and I always say, when you've finished rinsing - do it once more.

Squeeze out exess moisture, spritz over with a light formula leave in conditior or reconstructor and gently comb through (personally I brush through - yes i sin - wet hair and a bristle brush)
Rough dry to 80%, then section and blow dry, straighten or curl as desired.

Thank you so much, to all of you, for ur great replies :)
I must admit before i got my first reply here, i put some self absorbed conditioner (multi vitamin by bed head) and i think it gave me some matting, the ends look dry and frizzy.... :( and it just doesnt feel the same as it did at the beginning :( did i just ruin it?
I'm gonna go to a shop today that sells the hair conditioner and mask by balmain and hope for the best i think. Are there any tips you can give to prevent matting?

xxx

Thank you so much, to all of you, for ur great replies :)
I must admit before i got my first reply here, i put some self absorbed conditioner (multi vitamin by bed head) and i think it gave me some matting, the ends look dry and frizzy.... :( and it just doesnt feel the same as it did at the beginning :( did i just ruin it?
I'm gonna go to a shop today that sells the hair conditioner and mask by balmain and hope for the best i think. Are there any tips you can give to prevent matting?

xxx

Just keep it clean. Tie back in bed. Don't let it dry naturally, always blowdry. Make sure you always brush into the roots and bonds with your soft brush. :)

Latest posts

Back