Hair extensions - does this look double drawn?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Ive been sending away from some samples of hair as I have passed my hair extension course and I am now sourcing a supplier. On my course the trainer showed me a sample of double drawn hair as opposed to single drawn hair and the difference that I could visually see was the fact that the single drawn went thinner and whispier at the bottom whereas the majority of the hair in the double drawn sample that she showed me, was all the same length.

I received this sample from Studio 58 as I really had them down as a main supplier for me given the feedback and great reviews they have on this forum but I have to say that I was almost convinced that they had sent me a sample of single drawn. Maybe I have just been unlucky with a bad sample? or is this what double drawn is supposed to be like and I have been misinformed?

Even though I wasnt really impressed by the sample of hair, the customer service was very speedy with their response to me (albeit not the response I wanted to hear).

I also sent away for a sample from sjk and really liked their sample. However they had cut them to 10" so you couldnt really get a good view of the ends of the hair.

Anyway getting back to why I posted - could someone give me advice on whether this is what double drawn is supposed to look like?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• hair_1[1].jpg
    hair_1[1].jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 922
  • hair_2[1].jpg
    hair_2[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 995
Are both of the pictures of the studio58 hair.? I've had both single and double drawn for them and I've been really happy with both, but i agree, the first picture doesn't look double drawn. Have you asked if they sent you a sample of double drawn? When I get my packs there is a very definite line at the ends of the hair, iykwim.

I have also used sjk and the hair from there is good too. But I would agree about customer service from studio58, they are good.

yes kimi both are from studio 58. there was 4 in total and they were all the same. I emailed studio 58 and asked the question if they were single drawn as that is what they looked like to me. they responded very quickly, only not really what I wanted to hear. I was half expecting them to say they had sent single drawn by mistake.

I also noticed when I took it out the pack and straightened it out that quite a lot of hair strands came away out. I was realy disappointed as if this had of looked nicer I probalby would have just went with them given the great feedback they received, that is why I am really doubting myself. :cry
i was hoping they were going to ask me to send a photo fo what i recieved but they didnt and I also mentioned the shedding but they just said they NEVER had a problem with shedding, so made me out to be a liar, or thats what it felt like. and just rounded off the email saying if i didnt want to buy their hair they couldnt force me and there were lots of suppliers out there.

it started off so positive too :(

Im jusst wondering if I should ask for another sample and just put it down to receiving a couple bad strands

Last edited:
I'd ask for another sample. I really like the hair!

I havent tried Studio 58 as yet however, I have also bought samples of other brands to see how they are. In my opinion, i got a great deal more from ordering 25g of hair to see which is good (DD & SD). Did you order the basic sample?

No this wasz not the basic sample, this is the double drawn sample and just to make sure I wasnt going mad, I emailed them and asked to clarify if it was and they said definitley double drawn.

I have emailed them again and asked if they would be so kind as to send out another sample.

I am sure (well I know) I am in the minority here and they said in their email that "" a few single strands never gives a true reflection of the thickness" and they are probably right but surely you have to be happy with the sample they send you rather than think "when i get them altogether they will look ok". If it didnt have such a great following on salon geek, I would have just moved on to the next supplier in my search but I really want to try and persevere.

Like I said too, their customer service was great, they got back to me with my queries straight away. I just really want the hair to be right

Ive been sending away from some samples of hair as I have passed my hair extension course and I am now sourcing a supplier. On my course the trainer showed me a sample of double drawn hair as opposed to single drawn hair and the difference that I could visually see was the fact that the single drawn went thinner and whispier at the bottom whereas the majority of the hair in the double drawn sample that she showed me, was all the same length.

I received this sample from Studio 58 as I really had them down as a main supplier for me given the feedback and great reviews they have on this forum but I have to say that I was almost convinced that they had sent me a sample of single drawn. Maybe I have just been unlucky with a bad sample? or is this what double drawn is supposed to be like and I have been misinformed?

Even though I wasnt really impressed by the sample of hair, the customer service was very speedy with their response to me (albeit not the response I wanted to hear).

I also sent away for a sample from sjk and really liked their sample. However they had cut them to 10" so you couldnt really get a good view of the ends of the hair.

Anyway getting back to why I posted - could someone give me advice on whether this is what double drawn is supposed to look like?

Many thanks in advance.
Order a full head for yourself . A few strands are so hard to judge by. A few companies I've sampled with strands and went ahead and ordered from and was even more pleased when I seen the hair as a packet over all. It gives you a much better idea . I use Sjk the hairs fab x

isnt the point of getting samples supposed to represent a proportion of what a batch would look like? I am ordering samples in order to decide what supplier i want to use, based on the quality of the sample, otherwise what is the point of samples?

isnt the point of getting samples supposed to represent a proportion of what a batch would look like? I am ordering samples in order to decide what supplier i want to use, based on the quality of the sample, otherwise what is the point of samples?

Only trying to help! I always fit about 25 in my own hair. But each to there own :/

I do understand the frustration as im sure many of us have been through. In an ideal world, we woudl be able to receive 25g of hair FREE to test, but sadly, i doubt this will ever happen.

Yes, youre right regarding the idea of having a sample. However, we professionals simply cannot judge based on a few strands. Take 3/4 suppliers, invest in a bundle of 25g per supplier, do the test and then you could either use the hair on a client further down the line or, you can use the hair to keep practicing on your dummy head (im guessing you got one whilst training?).

I do understand the frustration as im sure many of us have been through. In an ideal world, we woudl be able to receive 25g of hair FREE to test, but sadly, i doubt this will ever happen.

Yes, youre right regarding the idea of having a sample. However, we professionals simply cannot judge based on a few strands. Take 3/4 suppliers, invest in a bundle of 25g per supplier, do the test and then you could either use the hair on a client further down the line or, you can use the hair to keep practicing on your dummy head (im guessing you got one whilst training?).

I wouldn't expect 25g for free but i suppose if i narrowed it down i could buy a pack from my fave 4. How is your search been going and what do u base your criteria on?. Do you buy a pack or ask for a sample.

The search for good quality hair and from a reliable supplier is laborious but so far, its been ok. My top 3 at the moment are;

Loose, European Hair
1) Shop4hair
2) Tasha Jacks
3) Additional Lengths

For pre-bonded i only have 1 fave at the moment;

Pre-bonded
1) Additonal Lengths (their Remy Cachcet Double Drawn)

My criteria is simply to wash the hair at least 10 times (yes its lengthy however, IMO, its worth it to really get an idea), style it using very hot irons, curling tongs, use product on them such as hairspray and then see what the result is like.

Ive tested on brands that ive thought the hair was gorgeus after 1/2 washes however, after the 5th, the hair was matty, dry and dull.

I hope this helps you a little more.

Only trying to help! I always fit about 25 in my own hair. But each to there own :/
do you put these in yourself or get someone to put in for you? do you leave them in for 3 months or just trial them for a few weeks?

do you have different suppliers of different thicknesses of itips?

for example, using studio58 -theirs are 0.8-1.0g for stick tips but what if you were doing quite fine hair, would you look for another supplier who supplied a smaller gram of thickness in the stick tips?

during my training I was also shown prebonded and to use a smaller bond all you did was cut the bond in half but obviosuly you cant do this with stick tips.

What do you recommend?

do you have different suppliers of different thicknesses of itips?

for example, using studio58 -theirs are 0.8-1.0g for stick tips but what if you were doing quite fine hair, would you look for another supplier who supplied a smaller gram of thickness in the stick tips?

during my training I was also shown prebonded and to use a smaller bond all you did was cut the bond in half but obviosuly you cant do this with stick tips.

What do you recommend?

I dont use the i-tips so i cant really recommend. However, with the pre-bonded, i would cut them in half if the client has finer hair.

Perhaps call some of your i-tip suppliers and see if they can produce you with lighter strands?

I ordered the double drawn from studio58 1 packet. It is not double drawn - there are plenty of short hairs and there was a bright green piece of thread in there which always make me feel dubious as to whether the hair is 100% human. I also didn't like the fact that some of the hairs look like they have black blobs on the ends. I am use to working with Russian and real Virgin European which I then colour myself for clients for the fashion shades but wanted to offer a more budget friendly twangy as an introduction to new clients who do not always understand or appreciate the difference in hair. I have not found any suppliers who offer Indian Remy that I would call quality. I wore a full head of Hair Planet several months back and after 2 weeks took them out as they were so tangly. I was going to add the 25 strands to my current set of European hair but after inspecting the hair I won't be. I will however be washing them, drying, and out them through the test.

Thats a pity, I like studio58 double drawn hair, much much thicker then a wispy single, tbh the line is so blunt its more like 19" with an inch cut off blunt. It gives very obvious steps as you go up the rows which do need blending down, again the complete opposite to a single.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Ive sampled some in my own hair, it is thicker than my other suppliers but i would not say it was double drawn as there were loads of shorter hairs. Removed them after a month as it tangled so bad too.

Thats a pity, I like studio58 double drawn hair, much much thicker then a wispy single, tbh the line is so blunt its more like 19" with an inch cut off blunt. It gives very obvious steps as you go up the rows which do need blending down, again the complete opposite to a single.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

How funny I thought the same just seems as if longer hair has been cut to 16" to give it a blunt thick look. The hair I use for Russian is double drawn and it doesn't leave steps and looks so thick.

I have ordered from studio58 a few times now and am always pleased with the hair. Iv never had a problem with them. It's the best hair iv had put in mine, I use loads of heat on them and they are still lovely and soft x

Latest posts

Back