Hair extensions help needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa Moss

Reaction score
Hi guys

What would everyone suggest about this?

I've been using Angel Remy for over 6 months and never had any complaints from clients or any issues on my behalf. I ordered some nail tips back in May and fit them for my client the next day. They were 22-24", full head in chestnut brown

I've attached a picture of the hair when I'd finished it. A few days later the bonds started slipping out and really badly shedding. I've attached a picture of what it looks like today (01/08/18) only 2 months after fitting. What do you all think?

I'm getting really frustrated as this has never happened before and I've never had any problems with said supplier. When I've used this hair on other clients they've worn it for 4 months with no issues... I then retip it for them and then they wear it for another few months.

The customer service team hasn't helped much, saying that it is 'so rare' and that they use the 'strongest keratin possible'. But the use of the word 'rare' leads me to believe that this has happened before.

I'm having to fork out for a brand new set of hair to my client free of charge. Which means I'm now £150.00 out of pocket. I'm a fairly new technician (1 year) and I run a very small mobile business - so this is a big set back for me.

I refuse to believe that this is a result of my workmanship - as mentioned before I've never had issues

Any advise/opinions welcome

Thanks!

34065418_996030363878618_6280009495544332288_n.jpg
010818.jpg

Hi,
I'm sorry this is happening to you!
I don't know if this will help but I'm currently reporting the company Foxy Locks for fraud because they claim to sell Remy hair but the hair extensions I received looks like "plastic". There are bits of actual plastic in it actually... And I washed the hair once and the bonds started slipping out and shedding too.

I wonder if Remy hair is not just a big scam because I've read multiple complains, so it's not new or "rare" as they told you.

Hi,
I don't know if this will help but I'm currently reporting the company Foxy Locks for fraud because they claim to sell Remy hair but the hair extensions I received looks like "plastic". There are bits of actual plastic in it actually... And I washed the hair once and the bonds started slipping out and shedding too.

I wonder if Remy hair is not just a big scam because I've read multiple complains, so it's not new or "rare" as they told you.

Oh gosh how terrible! It's disgusting really as you put your trust in suppliers with worry that stuff like this can happen

I'm reluctant to report anything as of yet - I've never had an issue which is why I am so upset about it. I am refusing to let them blame my work. I have sent them a massive email complaint this morning with the above pictures attached. Hopefully something will come of it

Any other supplier you can recommend?

Thanks!

It's so difficult isn't it, I have tried so many different suppliers love the hair and I'll order the exact same hair again and it's completely different so I will say that different batches of hair have such a impact, have the bonds gone soft ? Could it be anything your client done? I would be surprised if the supplier does anything, unfortunately for you being out of pocket. Hair is so unpredictable these days!xo

It's so difficult isn't it, I have tried so many different suppliers love the hair and I'll order the exact same hair again and it's completely different so I will say that different batches of hair have such a impact, have the bonds gone soft ? Could it be anything your client done? I would be surprised if the supplier does anything, unfortunately for you being out of pocket. Hair is so unpredictable these days!xo

Yes so difficult, everything goes well then something horrid happens!! Gutted. And no she is using suppliers recommended shampoo and conditioner (as they do not manufacture/supply their own branded shampoo) and she is using a balmain extensions brush! When I have been round to refit strands the bonds seem in tact as obviously I have checked the rest of them and then she will message me a couple days later saying more have come out!

I'm getting worried as she has messaged me this morning saying one has come out in the car and has pulled her own hair out! x

Oh gosh how terrible! It's disgusting really as you put your trust in suppliers with worry that stuff like this can happen

I'm reluctant to report anything as of yet - I've never had an issue which is why I am so upset about it. I am refusing to let them blame my work. I have sent them a massive email complaint this morning with the above pictures attached. Hopefully something will come of it

Any other supplier you can recommend?

Thanks!

I am taking a break from hair extensions at the moment, it's costing me too much money.

I used very expensive products to try and "heal" the hair (deep conditioning etc), so it's not worth it. I've been emailing Foxy Locks for 2-3 weeks with pictures attached and they replied only when I said I was thinking of reporting them for fraud. They said it was my fault the hair was in bad condition?? No compassion or excuse or anything... Very disappointed.

I am taking a break from hair extensions at the moment, it's costing me too much money.

I used very expensive products to try and "heal" the hair (deep conditioning etc), so it's not worth it. I've been emailing Foxy Locks for 2-3 weeks with pictures attached and they replied only when I said I was thinking of reporting them for fraud. They said it was my fault the hair was in bad condition?? No compassion or excuse or anything... Very disappointed.

I feel like the big companies don't care whether they lose customers, which is a shame really as we depend on them! If this continues I'm definitely going to look into it more regarding reporting

Hi,

Absolutely true. They use human remy hair but the hair is put in an acid bath removing the cuticles so it doesn't get matted or knotty, but it still does because they mix it with high grade synthetic. The price is incredibly cheap for that reason. They should use decent hair instead of charging so cheaply!!!

Where do you guys think I stand with this? Also has anybody had any similar experiences (with any brand)? If so what was the outcome?

Where do you guys think I stand with this? Also has anybody had any similar experiences (with any brand)? If so what was the outcome?
You don't stand anywhere because their return policy would of been 14-30 days. Although if they state their hair lasts 6-9 months then you stand a chance in emailing them and telling your experience and whats happened and hope they can replace the hair?

Yes so difficult, everything goes well then something horrid happens!! Gutted. And no she is using suppliers recommended shampoo and conditioner (as they do not manufacture/supply their own branded shampoo) and she is using a balmain extensions brush! When I have been round to refit strands the bonds seem in tact as obviously I have checked the rest of them and then she will message me a couple days later saying more have come out!

I'm getting worried as she has messaged me this morning saying one has come out in the car and has pulled her own hair out! x

That's so strange that there coming out, could her own hair be shedding lots? I think if the bond is hard then it would be difficult to get out, the only time I have lots come out is when the bond has gone soft and literally crumbles. I know it's stressful, I have also stopped doing them for clients, only friends as yes it can be good money but the stress isn't worth it,not when the hair is so unpredictable. Xo

Absolutely true. They use human remy hair but the hair is put in an acid bath removing the cuticles so it doesn't get matted or knotty, but it still does because they mix it with high grade synthetic. The price is incredibly cheap for that reason. They should use decent hair instead of charging so cheaply!!!

Wow that makes more sense then. They keep saying they use a "very gentle treatment" on the hair... sigh

Wow that makes more sense then. They keep saying they use a "very gentle treatment" on the hair... sigh
Also you meant foxyhair didn't you? Not foxylocks? Foxy locks is the clip in system made famous by Imogen which also uses high grade synthetic hair.
It's really sad trading standards doesn't pull companies up on this false advertising. 100% Human remy hair is becoming empty and meaningless.
I also don't like how foxyhair sell Russian/mongolian hair for £40!!!!!!!

You don't stand anywhere because their return policy would of been 14-30 days. Although if they state their hair lasts 6-9 months then you stand a chance in emailing them and telling your experience and whats happened and hope they can replace the hair?

Very true. Yes I have done that this morning along with attached pictures of first fitting and how it looks today. Thanks!

That's so strange that there coming out, could her own hair be shedding lots? I think if the bond is hard then it would be difficult to get out, the only time I have lots come out is when the bond has gone soft and literally crumbles. I know it's stressful, I have also stopped doing them for clients, only friends as yes it can be good money but the stress isn't worth it,not when the hair is so unpredictable. Xo

Her hair is fine-ish but when I went to fit there were no signs of shedding. I've never had issues with bonds going 'soft'?! I didn't even really know that was a thing! If so, is this a manufacturer problem?

It is just really disheartening when your small business starts doing well, something bad always happens and sets you back

Also you meant foxyhair didn't you? Not foxylocks? Foxy locks is the clip in system made famous by Imogen which also uses high grade synthetic hair.
It's really sad trading standards doesn't pull companies up on this false advertising. 100% Human remy hair is becoming empty and meaningless.
I also don't like how foxyhair sell Russian/mongolian hair for £40!!!!!!!

No I meant Foxy Locks (http://www.foxylocks.com/)
They say they use human hair :( so you're saying it's actually synthetic?? That's false advertising then.

Her hair is fine-ish but when I went to fit there were no signs of shedding. I've never had issues with bonds going 'soft'?! I didn't even really know that was a thing! If so, is this a manufacturer problem?

It is just really disheartening when your small business starts doing well, something bad always happens and sets you back

So frustrating for you! Yes I had some hair at the beginning of this year from hair trade, hair was ok but the bonds went super soft within one month and I had lost so many, normally I wouldn't loose any! Stupidly I didn't check the glue the use, but you would be able to tell if your clients had gone like that as you could pierce you nail into easily the keratin bonds I have now are rock hard. I hope it sorts out for you xo

have not long ago commented the same reply more or less i am going to now... there are SO many factors that can cause hair extensions to shed/slip
things to think about...
was the hair washed correctly before fitting? ideally should be washed with clarifying shampoo (twice) and no conditioner, no products, and rough dried (not blow dried or straightened)
blow drying/straightening smoothes out the cuticle, rough drying does not, when the cuticles are 'roughed up' the keratin adheres better to it, products and conditioner soften the cuticles which = bonds slipping
is client on medication? changed medication, anything changed health wise etc etc....
shampoos.... a lot of 'sulphate free' shampoos are not sulphate free... do your research and recommend accordingly, ideally sell these to the client so you are guaranteed they are using them...
scraping hair up in a tight bobble all day, tension is not good for the scalp and can cause shedding/slippage, which also pulls hair out from the root
not brushing correctly
heated tools near the bonds (even a hairdryer on hottest setting can soften them)
i remember once, my extensions all came out from underneath near the nape of my neck.. but the rest were fine... figured it out and it was because i like to put baby oil in the bath when i have a bubble bath and the nape of my neck went into the oily water !! oops
brushing too aggressively will cause shedding
hot tools softening the bonds will cause shedding
poor products will cause shedding
no heat protection will cause shedding
write out a detailed aftercare guide, make the client read and sign it before fitting so they fully understand... there should be no reason that bonds would shed or slip if they have been applied correctly and looked after correctly... is this her first set?? xx

Hi,

There is cuticle removed Remy, partially removed cuticle Remy like balmain and Cuticle Remy this are processed hairs and this is the problem with masses produced hair that suppliers sell, they don’t actually know owt about the hair or what it has been through or where it’s from in some cases, a lot use fallen hair collected from drains, brushes etc this is then sorted, a lot has to be worked with a machine that sorts the direction of the cuticle out like in this video .

have not long ago commented the same reply more or less i am going to now... there are SO many factors that can cause hair extensions to shed/slip
things to think about...
was the hair washed correctly before fitting? ideally should be washed with clarifying shampoo (twice) and no conditioner, no products, and rough dried (not blow dried or straightened)
blow drying/straightening smoothes out the cuticle, rough drying does not, when the cuticles are 'roughed up' the keratin adheres better to it, products and conditioner soften the cuticles which = bonds slipping
is client on medication? changed medication, anything changed health wise etc etc....
shampoos.... a lot of 'sulphate free' shampoos are not sulphate free... do your research and recommend accordingly, ideally sell these to the client so you are guaranteed they are using them...
scraping hair up in a tight bobble all day, tension is not good for the scalp and can cause shedding/slippage, which also pulls hair out from the root
not brushing correctly
heated tools near the bonds (even a hairdryer on hottest setting can soften them)
i remember once, my extensions all came out from underneath near the nape of my neck.. but the rest were fine... figured it out and it was because i like to put baby oil in the bath when i have a bubble bath and the nape of my neck went into the oily water !! oops
brushing too aggressively will cause shedding
hot tools softening the bonds will cause shedding
poor products will cause shedding
no heat protection will cause shedding
write out a detailed aftercare guide, make the client read and sign it before fitting so they fully understand... there should be no reason that bonds would shed or slip if they have been applied correctly and looked after correctly... is this her first set?? xx

Thanks for your reply! All your above points (as far as I know) she is following my recommended aftercare properly. Cool setting on hair dryer near the bonds, suppliers recommended shampoo and conditioner etc etc. I supply a clarifying shampoo to all of my clients upon consultation and tell them no conditioner whatsoever so I know for deffo that their hair is prepped properly ! It’s so frustrating honestly . I haven’t written out a detailed aftercare sheet yet but it’s something on my to do list for deffo! I do always give my clients the supplier aftercare sheet tho , so they do have one. And no this isn’t her first set :/ thanks so much for ur advise ! Xxx

Latest posts

Back