Hair extensions, Indian or Russian hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLHair

Reaction score
Hi geeks little bit of advice please.
I'm looking at different hair extension suppliers, and I've notice Indian remy that I've seen is approx 0.8g and they also sell Russian hair which is 1g, but a lot more pricey.
I know one is gonna give me more thickness that the other, but was wanting to know:
Do u use Russian hair when you want to offer xthick/xxthick hair? Or do u just stick with Indian remy a put in as much as possible?
Which is a nicer texture and easier to manage?
And If u could tell me approx what would u charge for xx thick extensions (I thought from £250)?
Thanks if u can help me:)

Anyone please

Well I certainly wouldn't want anything from Russia at the monment seen as there hell bent on causing world war 3. Indian hair how its sourced is horrifc though have u thought about chinese hair?

Hi chick. We use indian remy 1g strands from Transform xtensions. We find that on thin/medium hair 100 strands is enough and medium/thick hair 150 strands is enough. we tend to charge £170 for 100 strands and £250 for 150 strands. They are also introducing a 10% trade code soon.

I have tried Chinese hair but found it dries out after first wash and is very course compared to the indian x

Last edited by a moderator:
In training i was told to avoid Chinese hair as it is the lowest quality? They advised me Russian and european hair is the best as it doesn't need as much processing to get it to colours unlike indian which is of dark origin so to get it light brown/ blonde needs to have treatment done to it. Xx

Hi, I would look at the texture of your clients hair to start with, is it thick or thin and does it have a natural wave or is it very straight? Russian hair (if it is definitely Russian) tends to be straighter and finer but usually lasts longer, Indian hair generally has a natural wave or curl to it after washing and tends to suit most people better as for the majority of us our hair is not poker straight. As long as the hair is genuinely Remy (cuticle correct) then I would concentrate more on matching textures. Hope this helps x

I only use balmain, it's Chinese hair, and I think it's fabulous, never had a problem, ever ! X

I use both. I wouldn't conform to just one, as they are two completely different types of hair and two different price ranges.
Someone looking for volume, I tend to sway on the side of Indian as it is thicker and courser. I also tend to go with Indian if someone is a dye hard colour changer, as Russian lasts so long, if they're continuously changing their hair colour I find it pointless.
Everyone seems besotted with 1g strands these days too, whereas I use 0.8g throughout both my ranges and find them excellent. I use mini locks however, so tend to get a lot in a full head anyway, however if you do something like prebonds, & you're rolling them properly, you could use 0.8 and get more than enough in for a lovely full head?

Don't base your decision so much on weight i'd say. Do it on supplier. If you find a great supplier with great hair, and they happen not to do 1g strands, its not the end of the world.
For a full head of my indian i charge 299 and a full head of russian starts at 450 x

This is great thanks for the help every1.
just starting out in extensions, & I have this 1 girl that comes in the salon that's interested in getting the pre bond hot fusion extension & her hair is SO SO think.
So worried when I go to do it, the extensions will be to thin for her hair and look unnatural.
I was told that about Chinese hair also..think I'm gonna use Indian remy (0.8g) and say approx 250 stands, does this sound ok? What's the most use ever put pre bond & micro beads into 1 head without them showing?

This is great thanks for the help every1.
just starting out in extensions, & I have this 1 girl that comes in the salon that's interested in getting the pre bond hot fusion extension & her hair is SO SO think.
So worried when I go to do it, the extensions will be to thin for her hair and look unnatural.
I was told that about Chinese hair also..think I'm gonna use Indian remy (0.8g) and say approx 250 stands, does this sound ok? What's the most use ever put pre bond & micro beads into 1 head without them showing?

That would be 200g of hair, you would be better off using 1g strands and fit less, 250 strands is a lot to have fitted.

Max I've fit is 260 0.8g strands.

Personally I wore 225 1.1g strands. And I could have fit more in (well the person fitting)

Indian temple hair is not a cruel way of the hair being sourced.

Chinese is shocking (unless you pay a fortune)

Russian/European is obviously the same/very similar then our own, not as dark so less process etc xx

Ive fitted 290 0.8g strands using mini locks. However thats 5 years in to doing this. If you feel you can go for the challenge, please do, and definitely update us. However a super thick head would have intimidated me if I wasn't as experienced and confident as now.
If its not blended perfectly, and doesnt look spot on, thats under your name.
Hope that makes sense but good luck and report back x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I'm looking for the same kind of help . I have a client with shoulder length really thick hair . I was going to fit 200 microcloops and 0.6g but I'm worrying it won't be thick enough to cover her own hair? There is also a new brand of hair I havnt used .. Armenia has anyone used this? Please write back :)x

Hi I'm looking for the same kind of help . I have a client with shoulder length really thick hair . I was going to fit 200 microcloops and 0.6g but I'm worrying it won't be thick enough to cover her own hair? There is also a new brand of hair I havnt used .. Armenia has anyone used this? Please write back :)x

Really thick hair would look silly with only that much hair, you would need to look at least the 200g minimum mark (this would be approx 333 strands in 0.6). Thick hair can take thicker strands and I generally go for a minimum of 0.8 - 1g strands for this.

So do you think use 1g and less extensions ? X

100 strands of 1g? Or more ?

Belle hair extensions . I don't feel I learned enough .. I have already emailed them for another course or more help but they have ignored all my emails ;( x

Sorry if this sounds harsh, its meant to be constructive.

To not know how much hair to put in a head is and can be extremely damaging and should be one of the major things to bring away from a training course. Not knowing will either have your clients looking stupid or having too much hair for their scalp to handle. I know a few techs that have trained with Belle and its a common occurrence to not know how much hair to fit and I find that shocking.

My advice would be to get on another course asap, you just cannot run a business when you do not know the fundamentals about fitting hair and I know this not to be your fault, its the absolutely shocking so called training providers handing out certificates like sweets.

I'm currently looking for another course just now . I feel 100% fitting them but I don't feel confident about how much hair I need for thicker hairs. I have done a few sets and they have been really good and the hair has grown. But this is my first set of really thick hair. I also am not confident about mixed colours or tones to pick and how to apply them. I know this isn't good enough and the course didn't really give me much information . But if you could just give me a hand until I find another course?x

Latest posts

Back