Hair extensions- micro loop - glue?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rushworth87

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a qualified hair extension technician so know the ins and outs of methods etc, but I recently had some micro loop extensions fitted by another professional, and she used some form of liquid glue on my hair to keep the micro loop in, I aske what it was as I know you don't use glue in micro loop, she said it was resin but I was confused as I had never heard of this so I've looked around on the Internet for info on liquid resin and have come up with nothing? It was a small White see through squeezy bottle with an amber liquid inside...it wasn't liquid gold bonder I know that, anyone got any ideas on what it could be? Xx

No idea but that sounds very weird as it could glue the rings into the hair and cause a right mess! :S I'd be curious to know too!

Was it like this?

IMAG1068.jpg

Its a water soluble gum.

I use it for very short pinch braids, especially when doing slip knot seals and using fibre, as it helps to keep things tight and secure whilst wrapping to knot iykwim. It comes out first wash by which point everything is settled and secure.

Have never used it with rings though :confused: maybe she wasn't all that confident with her application? Or maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere??

...but then again my application is always good so not ever thought of using anything x

Its a water soluble gum.

I use it for very short pinch braids, especially when doing slip knot seals and using fibre, as it helps to keep things tight and secure whilst wrapping to knot iykwim. It comes out first wash by which point everything is settled and secure.

Have never used it with rings though :confused: maybe she wasn't all that confident with her application? Or maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere??

...but then again my application is always good so not ever thought of using anything x

Brill, thanks for that! Just wanted to know what it was because I didn't want them glued in or else I would have gone for bonded. Thanks a lot x

I've just removed micro loops which were very hard to take out!! It looked like the glue inside the ring had been melted into the clients own hair but after asking about the install (not done by me) I found out they used some kind of sealant, said to be oil (strange, I know) but of course oil would make them slip! Now, it is said to be remove by nail varnish remover, therefore they must have used some kind of glue?! I'm mega confused! What do you think they are using? I guess this is why clients don't lose any bonds as they are secretly glued! Do you think they are using what has been spoke about above? Or could it be something else? It looks like how nail glue looks when dried xxx

I've just removed micro loops which were very hard to take out!! It looked like the glue inside the ring had been melted into the clients own hair but after asking about the install (not done by me) I found out they used some kind of sealant, said to be oil (strange, I know) but of course oil would make them slip! Now, it is said to be remove by nail varnish remover, therefore they must have used some kind of glue?! I'm mega confused! What do you think they are using? I guess this is why clients don't lose any bonds as they are secretly glued! Do you think they are using what has been spoke about above? Or could it be something else? It looks like how nail glue looks when dried xxx

It's definitely not what is causing the difficult removal if they used the gum pictured above... it washes out after first wash I can assure you on that.

It's definitely not what is causing the difficult removal if they used the gum pictured above... it washes out after first wash I can assure you on that.

Thank you for your help! Now I just need to try find out what on earth has been used?! x

It's a bit cheeky of the technician tho isn't it! As the whole point of a client choosing the non glue method is for that exact reason!
Using something that needs to be removed with acetone surely defeats the purpose and they may as well have been wearing pre bonded! X

Thank you for your help! Now I just need to try find out what on earth has been used?! x

No worries. Did they give you any description of the bottle it was in? x

It's a bit cheeky of the technician tho isn't it! As the whole point of a client choosing the non glue method is for that exact reason!
Using something that needs to be removed with acetone surely defeats the purpose and they may as well have been wearing pre bonded! X

Exactly! This is why the client was so mad! And it took me much longer than anticipated to remove them as all the glue was stuck in their hair! We didnt even realise until I started to take them out. I had read this thread when it was first posted and asked the client if they had seen them use anything but pliers to fit them and this is when we realised that some sort of sealant had been used. When they asked the extensionist that had fitted them, it was apparently serum, then a natural based oil, which can be removed with nail varnish remover... obviously not an oil then!

I cannot for the life of me find out what has been used! x

No worries. Did they give you any description of the bottle it was in? x

Unfortunately not :( The client didnt see the bottle up close, just the residue it left on her glass table! x

I'm more worried the client was told to use nail varnish remover on their hair!

I remember years ago before I trained I had a full head of "Dome" hair extensions fitted. The hair was synthetic monofibre and I was told no glue would be used as they were plaited in at the root. But when they started applying the hair she was using a bottle of this serum and using a heat connector to seal it. I asked what it was and she just said its a sealer like hairspray and would wash out the first wash.
I have no idea if it did it not as I'm not familiar with the method they were applied but I know they took ages to remove in the salon.
Being told to use nail polish remover doesn't sound professional at all!!! I'm also a nail tech and the amount of people who think nail polish remover will remove their acrylics still baffles me lol!

I remember years ago before I trained I had a full head of "Dome" hair extensions fitted. The hair was synthetic monofibre and I was told no glue would be used as they were plaited in at the root. But when they started applying the hair she was using a bottle of this serum and using a heat connector to seal it. I asked what it was and she just said its a sealer like hairspray and would wash out the first wash.
I have no idea if it did it not as I'm not familiar with the method they were applied but I know they took ages to remove in the salon.
Being told to use nail polish remover doesn't sound professional at all!!! I'm also a nail tech and the amount of people who think nail polish remover will remove their acrylics still baffles me lol!

The bottle pictured is the same stuff they would have used with your Dome extensions... I trained with Prostyles many moons ago which is pretty much exactly the same method and products a Dome but still use the gum for other small braided applications (such as pinch braids) as it helps hold everything tight and secure for those first few days whilst clients get used to the new longer hair... you know, stop flicking, tossing and playing with it lol. Anyway, I have over 12 years experience with using this stuff so I know that after first wash it's gone.

Plus this stuff is mega sticky... like a melted sweet... definitely not oil based.

Charlene, the reason it takes so long to remove this technique of extensions is because the tiny braid has to be gently teased out of the hair and as you can imaging there will be natural hair fall in there too. It's not like breaking down a bond and it slips out.

Hth

Thanks for that! I must say I never lost one extension with those as oppose to others I've worn.
It's a method that isn't advertised much these days as it was nearly 20 years ago when I tried them!

And the hairdressers who were removing them had no knowledge of what they were either! I should have went back to who applied them but we all know removal rates aren't cheap for a reason!

Thanks again x

At first I thought she had melted the glue inside the ring as it was firmly attached to her hair, even with the ring opened, you could not pull them out. Eventually when I got them out, it looked like how prebonded looks when you remove a bond.

If i ever find out what it is I'll let you all know! Baffling! x

This is the bottle I think ...unfortunately it doesn't give much away! x

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts

Back