Hair Extensions - problem client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen2k

Reaction score
Hi, i dont know if anyone else has had problems with their extensions clients before but i am in need of advice so figured this would be the best place to come :biggrin:

Ok so here goes:
I have been fully qualified in hair extensions for the past 4 years, a friend of a friend wanted it done (she has shoulder length hair bleached blonde and brown underneath) she wanted 26" extensions which i advised her against but she kept badgering so in the end i had to import the hair from overseas at a rather large cost of £370+postage so charged her £450 to fit. When i parted her hair i realised the actual amount of damage done to her natural hair and said i wasnt happy doing it and doubt with the weight of the bonds (0.8 26") that they would even stay in her hair and it could really damage it. She said it was a risk she was willing to take no matter what as she'd had them in the past blah blah blah. If it was a normal client i would have flat out refused but because it was a friend of a friend i said fine. Well anyways i fitted them 2 months ago (bearing in mind life span is 3 months ish) and she didn't want to keep up with the maintenance appointments kept saying they were fine.
Then she got in touch with me the week before last saying she needed a top up as she had lost some bonds so i ordered 200 more at a cost of £120+ postage and asked her to pay a deposit of £40 to secure appointment and go towards the hair. Because the post is out of my control they didnt turn up on day i was expecting so she text me saying after 2 months the bonds were coming out and it was all my fault and she wanted a full refund from fitting from 2 months earlier and all of the hair i had ordered when it came through. I said i could refund the £40 deposit she had paid and was willing to do this but she still said she wanted the hair - by this time it had a come out the week she wanted me to import more hair she'd been going out on the town so had got some extensions fitting by someone else to top them up a bit - i offered she could pay the difference and buy the hair from me but then she wanted the invoice with my suppliers details on it which i flat out refused handing over.
Well anyways today the hair came through i said she could pick it up tomorrow but she said no she wanted to pick them up today, i was working so wasn't home and said it wasnt convenient and to pick them up tomorrow, she refused again saying she couldnt make any other day other than today then suddenly after that i had another message through saying its caused her alot of expense waiting on the hair to come through (which is also my fault apparently) and she'd spoken to trading standards about getting a full refund plus compensation now... is she for real i fitted them 2 months ago!!!!

Please help as to what i can do or what she can do as a client? I took pictures of the state of her damaged hair before the fitting and pictures of my fitting that was actually for my hair portfolio - it took me 7 hours to do an amazing job of them!! Please help!!

And also would like to say she couldn't get to my work and didn't drive so i also picked her up, fitted them at my home then dropped her back home after her fitting appointment. She did lose roughly 8-10 bonds (300 here fitted) which i replaced 4 weeks after fitting appointment... forgot to include that earlier sorry! lol

shes definately at it if she had them 2 months ago so i would just call her bluff but i have to say and i dont mean to sound harsh but its your fault in a way that you didnt carry out a consultation therefore you could see her hair and the state i always do a consultation read through it with the client and have myself and the client sign it that way im covered if problems do arise you should think of this in future but dont worry about her call her bluff with trading standards x

Definately sounds like she is pulling a fast one. Stand your ground you sound like you have been as proffessional as possible. Dont refund either, she is mucking YOU around. Good luck hun xxx

Hi,
As said before, really you should have done the consultation and if you was not happy to perform then that is your decision, BUT when taking a deposit from a client, if she gives you the money from for the hair you do not need to refund her this back! Tell her the hair id waiting for her to collet but you have already paid and there id no refund. I know this was a friend of a friend but try to keep your deposit at consultation stage to £100 so if they decide against you are not out of pocket. If you filled out a consultation form then really you should have stated on it that you was not happy to do the extensions but the client insisted (you dont always think you need this when it is a friend of a friend) I would say she is trying to get alot of nothing, as stated before, I would tll her the hair is waiting for her to collect but there id no refund going to be offered as she had had the extensions fitted 2 months prior, she was obviously happy with them then! I doubt but if she does seek legal advice. you are well in your rights to have given the information that you have done son far.

Hope everything goes smoothly from now. (REMEMBER, FRIEND OR NO FRIEND....TAKE A FULL DEPOSIT TO COVER THE COST OF THE HAIR AND STILL FILL OUT CONSULTATION FORMS) Im sure you will now though after this performance lol. Let us know the outcome! :)

International Beauty Training

Let me just put your mind at ease here for a minute:-
1: you consulted with her and adviced agaist the extensions?, she refused to accept and thereby waived her right to complain should anything happened to her hair or the bonds.
2: you asked for her to keep up the maintenance appointment she refused. you have fulfilled your responsibilities under the goods& services act.
3: due to the damage of her hair (of which you have pointed out to her) the extensions did not stay tat long. Again the services and goods have been provided as described and performed as described.
4: should she have called the trading standards the proceedure would be to contact you and to take your side of the story before any action could be taken. therefore sit back and wait for that call (if she did call tat is i doubt she did) and tell them your side of the story and show them the pictures you have (hang on to those they could be your biggest defense ;-D)
5: she only paid for the deposite to secure the appointment she did not pay for the new hair therefore if she wants the hair you bought she shoud pay what you ask or else go find it for herself you are not obliged to give any details you could claim extra actually as an agent's fee for getting the hair.

6: if you ask me i think she found someone who does it cheaper but wants the same quality hair therefore stand your ground be as agressive/confrontational as you can be when you talk to her or jst as much as she is to you.

I might be a newly qualified hairdresser but before that i was a qualified commercial lawyer so stick tat in her face and see wat she says. good luck hope it helps:-x

Hi, i dont know if anyone else has had problems with their extensions clients before but i am in need of advice so figured this would be the best place to come :biggrin:

Ok so here goes:
I have been fully qualified in hair extensions for the past 4 years, a friend of a friend wanted it done (she has shoulder length hair bleached blonde and brown underneath) she wanted 26" extensions which i advised her against but she kept badgering so in the end i had to import the hair from overseas at a rather large cost of £370+postage so charged her £450 to fit. When i parted her hair i realised the actual amount of damage done to her natural hair and said i wasnt happy doing it and doubt with the weight of the bonds (0.8 26") that they would even stay in her hair and it could really damage it. She said it was a risk she was willing to take no matter what as she'd had them in the past blah blah blah. If it was a normal client i would have flat out refused but because it was a friend of a friend i said fine. Well anyways i fitted them 2 months ago (bearing in mind life span is 3 months ish) and she didn't want to keep up with the maintenance appointments kept saying they were fine.
Then she got in touch with me the week before last saying she needed a top up as she had lost some bonds so i ordered 200 more at a cost of £120+ postage and asked her to pay a deposit of £40 to secure appointment and go towards the hair. Because the post is out of my control they didnt turn up on day i was expecting so she text me saying after 2 months the bonds were coming out and it was all my fault and she wanted a full refund from fitting from 2 months earlier and all of the hair i had ordered when it came through. I said i could refund the £40 deposit she had paid and was willing to do this but she still said she wanted the hair - by this time it had a come out the week she wanted me to import more hair she'd been going out on the town so had got some extensions fitting by someone else to top them up a bit - i offered she could pay the difference and buy the hair from me but then she wanted the invoice with my suppliers details on it which i flat out refused handing over.
Well anyways today the hair came through i said she could pick it up tomorrow but she said no she wanted to pick them up today, i was working so wasn't home and said it wasnt convenient and to pick them up tomorrow, she refused again saying she couldnt make any other day other than today then suddenly after that i had another message through saying its caused her alot of expense waiting on the hair to come through (which is also my fault apparently) and she'd spoken to trading standards about getting a full refund plus compensation now... is she for real i fitted them 2 months ago!!!!

Please help as to what i can do or what she can do as a client? I took pictures of the state of her damaged hair before the fitting and pictures of my fitting that was actually for my hair portfolio - it took me 7 hours to do an amazing job of them!! Please help!!

Hello! It seems to me that she is trying to pull a fast one,i've been doing hair extensions for many years and you will (unfortunately) occasionally stumble across a nightmare client that may have a history of trying to get refunds out of people for no reason whatsoever. If she filled out a consultation form containing medical history and signed it then you have nowt to worry about. If she was really unhappy with them,im sure she would have complained within the first week or two(not after 2 months). Dont worry and stay happy x

Agree with all said previously. Deposit to cover hair cost definitely and not refundable. And consultation document signed by you both to include any disclaimers. Let me have your email address if you want me to send you a copy of the one I use.

Linda

Hello! It seems to me that she is trying to pull a fast one,i've been doing hair extensions for many years and you will (unfortunately) occasionally stumble across a nightmare client that may have a history of trying to get refunds out of people for no reason whatsoever. If she filled out a consultation form containing medical history and signed it then you have nowt to worry about. If she was really unhappy with them,im sure she would have complained within the first week or two(not after 2 months). Dont worry and stay happy x

We know what thats like...

Should of realise written up a disclaimer and got her to sign it! So you had something to fall back on!
She obviously just wants a cheap do so id fight all the way! Some clients pee me off!

Latest posts

Back