Hair | Hairdressing Wins A Place On The Oscar Ballot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Ted Gibson has fought the hard fight, and finally, for the first time, Hairdressing has got itself onto the Oscar ballot. Gibson, the hair stylist behind the most expensive hair cut in the world and the US version of What Not To Wear, has been relentlessly outspoken in his fight for hairstyling to be recognised by the Academy Awards.

A new category has been created this year - Make Up & Hairstyling - to ensure that all the creative processes behind characterisation are given recognition. This year, the three films up for the award are The Hobbit, Hitchcock and Les Miserables.

Speaking to ModernSalon.com, it's clear that Gibson is excited. "Look at the ballot! Look at the listing of the nominees. The category is Make Up & Hairstyling! This is fantastic and long overdue."

But Gibson's still not satisfied. "I will be satisfied when Hairstyling gets its own ballot. Just look at all those films. All the hair is spectacular and the hairdressers who created those looks deserve recognition not just for their research but for the finishes. Look at Lincoln and Django Unchained. The hair plays an integral role in character development. I am so happy that the incredible talent behind the work will finally be acknowledged at least in the three nominated."

However, his fight isn't over and he will continue to lobby for hairdressers at the Academy Awards. If you want to support Gibson, please sign his petition HERE or go to the We Need An Oscar For Hair Facebook Page

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• ted-gibson-celebrity-stylist-TLC-what-not-to-wear.jpg
    ted-gibson-celebrity-stylist-TLC-what-not-to-wear.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 103
I'm not a hairstylist, but I absolutely agree that hair and make-up play and HUGE role in the final character they want to portray! Costume designers have long had their own nominations but their costumes wouldn't be complete without the hair and make-up.

Django Unchained was brilliant. This is great step forward... Maybe nails will get a lookin one day!!

Latest posts

Back