Hair help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brervixen

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not a pro hair-dresser, I only did as much hair as a level 3 in Theatrical Special Effects make up required! :lol:

My own hair is causing my annoyance!

It is fairly long (at the longest it sits just past my bra strap)
It's been coloured, A LOT and currently is a lightish blonde (not sure of the exact colour, I think my hairdresser mentioned a number 8 and 6% bleach?)
It's got purple on the ends which I did myself (Live XXL colour)

Problem is, I have a bit of root regrowth, which is greasy, but the mid-length and ends are VERY dry. If I put a treatment on it my whole head just goes greasy and manky. It's looking a bit ropey (could probably do with a trim)

Basically it's just really annoying, because if I just wash it, it feels so so dry, but if I put conditioner on it, it feels lank and greasy.

Any help at all, sorry it's so much of an essay!

Just condition the mid lengths and ends

I do lilly, but I still get greasy roots! :eek:

You may be feeling your roots are greasy because you have a regrowth. The contrast between the healthy roots and the dry ends can accentuate the feeling of greasy roots. So first of all, get your colour done! Also ask if they can put a conditioning gloss semi permanent on your ends, which will help with the condition there.

Get yourself a shampoo specifically for oily hair. Also, get it from a professional salon, as using a head and shoulders or something of the like will be nasty to your colour and your dry ends. You could also try a volumising shampoo as these are a little more cleansing than your usual shampoos.

How often do you shampoo your hair? Are you shampooing it properly? You should be trying to push it out to 3 days. When you shampoo your hair, do two shampoos, one after the other, concentrating on cleansing the scalp, don't worry about shampooing the ends, what ever runs through there when you rinse will be plenty.

Use a good conditioner for coloured hair. This will help smooth the cuticle of the hair down, and help the condition. A moisture treatment once a fortnight wouldn't go astray either. Don't ever put conditioner or treatment on you our roots. Put it only on the mids and ends, and comb through with a wide tooth comb.

Now, if you still feel oily after all this (and it could take a few weeks for your scalp to regulate). You could try a dry shampoo once your hair is dry, or on the second day. This will help absorb some of the oils from the scalp.

Otherwise, how's your health? Are you eating well? Are you pregnant? Have you been experiencing stress? Drink plenty of water and if you're concerned about it, or think there might be further reasoning as to why your scalp is oily, go see a doctor.

Hope this helps,
Cass xx

Latest posts

Back