Hair loss and breakage due to thyroid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikita's Beauty Lounge

Reaction score
Hey!

I've spent a fortune on remedies to help my hair. From imported shampoos&conditioners to supplements to extensions!

However, my hair is at it's all time worst!

It's thin, weak, broken, damaged and splits super easily.
I had it cut short into a bob as it looked as if it was 'fraying' but the side are still falling out and breaking off! And I now look ridiculous!

I had my bloods checked again Monday and it says I'm on the right dose of thyroxine.

Now, I'm bridesmaid this coming Saturday for my sister and we're meant to be having our hair down and curly or in a chignon bun but I don't have enough hair for either! I had baby bond keratin extensions in but they've just ripped out more hair!

Any advice extremely welcome, especially miracle solutions

Please anyone? Lol

Why not try a hair piece?
You can get really good chignons that you can just loop over a tiny pony tail. :)

I have the same problem I've used vitamins ,shampoos , lotions and it's coming out so much I'm depressed

One of my clients has similar hair and extensions were not good enough. She got a 3/4 wig from easilocks for her wedding and it looked amazing! I didnt really like the feel of their hair as synthetoc (feels more horse hair not shiny though) but maybe look into 3/4 wigs? Xx

One of my clients has similar hair and extensions were not good enough. She got a 3/4 wig from easilocks for her wedding and it looked amazing! I didnt really like the feel of their hair as synthetoc (feels more horse hair not shiny though) but maybe look into 3/4 wigs? Xx
I mean her hair was not good/strong enough for extensions. Xx

Thanks girls, I got a hair piece but I think where my hair is so thin all over now, it looked a bit weird on my scalp?
So i got new clip in extensions and cut them short so the weight won't be too heavy for my hair, i think at least this was it will help give me a bit more volume for my actual head aswell as the bun?

I've tried a 3/4 hair piece before and it felt sooo heavy even when I cut th length down.

Looks like I'm sticking with clip ins for now.

Really appreciate you's taking the time to reply though xx

I have the same problem it used to be overactive then underactive and I got to say it's the worst my hair has ever been. It's not breaking it's actually falling out from the root. When I go to brush my hair the brush is full and I'm actually getting very worried as my hair is very fine anyway. I've been using a wide toothed comb this week so I'm living on hope that the gap at the back of my head starts to disappear. Hold on in there though as tough as it is. I do get very down though as being a stylist myself it's really important to have shiny healthy hair and I'm always conscious of this.
I'm considering trying out halo hair Extensions. You can look at videos on Utube

Last edited:
Hey!

I've spent a fortune on remedies to help my hair. From imported shampoos&conditioners to supplements to extensions!

However, my hair is at it's all time worst!

It's thin, weak, broken, damaged and splits super easily.
I had it cut short into a bob as it looked as if it was 'fraying' but the side are still falling out and breaking off! And I now look ridiculous!

I had my bloods checked again Monday and it says I'm on the right dose of thyroxine.

Now, I'm bridesmaid this coming Saturday for my sister and we're meant to be having our hair down and curly or in a chignon bun but I don't have enough hair for either! I had baby bond keratin extensions in but they've just ripped out more hair!

Any advice extremely welcome, especially miracle solutions

Hi...... I've had an under active for 17 years..... I am suffering with similar hair to you ..... I've been a hairdresser/barber for 27 years .... I've tried every lotion ...& treatment under the sun! To no avail..... i would recommend big soft curls and with a few clips I would gently and loosely fold the back into itself... it makes the hair look fuller and like long hair pinned up .... I did this for my own weeding early this year .... hope it helps

Have u tried nixton that ment to be very good xx

Have you considered a Topper?

Yes your follicle is going to be so week and any weight meaning hair Extensions put on your hair it will drop straight away. I'm going for a halo where there's no impact on my own hair but I can still look good to a point. I was in tears last week thinking I'm a stylist yet I got a large piece of hair missing from the root at the back of my head I was beside myself last week

This is the serious problem dear you can use aloe vera.

This is the serious problem dear you can use aloe vera

Sound advice from an alleged top Hair Transplant Surgeon - I think not!
you should know all about the thyroid problems Vikas!!.... Slapping on a bit of Aloe Vera isn't going to solve this ladies problem.

This week got real bad alopecia took hold and bald patches were visible in most places so hair had to be removed for a wig. I wasn't very sentimental about my hair as it's the second time I've lost it through thyroid issues
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479021670.879889.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479021687.434635.jpg

One without wig and one with wig

This week got real bad alopecia took hold and bald patches were visible in most places so hair had to be removed for a wig. I wasn't very sentimental about my hair as it's the second time I've lost it through thyroid issues
One without wig and one with wig

The wig looks very natural. Do you tell any of your clients about your hair loss?

The wig looks very natural. Do you tell any of your clients about your hair loss?
Yes I do if they mention I got lovely hair I'm honest with them specially if they say how do you keep your hair looking so nice. But specially if I have a client who's scalp is showing and there's severe thinning due to chemo or a medical problem I can comfort them and say look it's not the end of the world and suggest the possibility of a wig and tell them the worlds my oyster. I can experiment with different lengths and colours. I never have a bad hair day now. This is my other wig
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479051742.907878.jpg

Sound advice from an alleged top Hair Transplant Surgeon - I think not!
you should know all about the thyroid problems Vikas!!.... Slapping on a bit of Aloe Vera isn't going to solve this ladies problem.

Omg! Aloe Vera!

Latest posts

Back