Hair mess, help needed to fix it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allbouthair120

Reaction score
So I am new to all this hair stuff in my learning process and all but need to fix this mess!
I thought id start with my own hair.
Id say Im a base 4 (latin brown hair but not black!), now I tried to go dark blonde and failed miserably! I bleached it and then applied a dark blonde with red undertones and it turned out orange/red.

I then proceeded to tone it with a 7/1 color touch. Turned out light brown/red.
After 3 weeks it washed out and Id say Im now a 7 with orange? Plus half an inch of my dark natural roots.

Please help, how do I fix this mess without going to a salon.
Id like something light for summer, ombre? balayage? dark blonde?

What happens if I put a 4/00 Koleston Perfect 6% VOL on top of all that mess???

Suggestions? HELP?

Yes I know, Im a bad impulsive student who cant get color theory right! hahaha Come on guys ! I just started my first classes ever!

Last edited:
If you're taking classes - what do your teachers suggest you do?

Surely you should be asking them to help you fix it? Not strangers on the Internet!

Else go to a salon and get it fixed before your hair falls out, and wait till you learn colour theory properly.

Last edited:
Heya sweet, do you know why you went that reddy orange tone in the first place? The reason is your own hair will have red undertones that as you lifted would have come through then you went ahead with a dark blonde with red tones in meaning you have double the red in when you needed to neutralise the reddy/copper of your own undertones only, not add more.

When you applied 7/1 this would have neutralised some of the warmth but not all, if its now faded so do a test piece for 7/1 again and see what that gives you. Your natural will need bleach and 3% or 6% and toned so my advise would be to lift to similar to ends so you can tone together at the same time.

So strand test this.

As for the 44/0 with the reddy copper you have this could be the correct undertone and go flat brown, if more copper you need to add slight amounts of red to give the correct base.

I'd personally advise you have this done at college and allow someone to pass off their work as this is perfect colour correction for someone and you can learn at the same time and under tutor supervision.

If you're taking classes - what do your teachers suggest you do?

Surely you should be asking them to help you fix it? Not strangers on the Internet!

Else go to a salon and get it fixed before your hair falls out, and wait till you learn colour theory properly.

I partly understand where you are coming from however this is an advise forum and therefore is the perfect place to ask for help and think its a little harsh to say 'surely you should be asking them not strangers' is that not what we are here for, to give our knowledge too?

Maybe helping her understand why this has happened will reduce this happening again in future rather than saying just dont bother and go pay someone...? I do agree should be done at college given the lack of colour knowledge but could have been worded better. Xx

I partly understand where you are coming from however this is an advise forum and therefore is the perfect place to ask for help and think its a little harsh to say 'surely you should be asking them not strangers' is that not what we are here for, to give our knowledge too?

Maybe helping her understand why this has happened will reduce this happening again in future rather than saying just dont bother and go pay someone...? I do agree should be done at college given the lack of colour knowledge but could have been worded better. Xx

I agree, this is the place where people ask for our advise x

Perhaps I should clarify my post.

Of course this is a great learning resource. However, this forum should never replace the student's own teaching provider.

The OP did not seem concerned with HOW the problem occurred or the science and theory behind it (new to hair "stuff" and "can't get my colour theory right - ha-ha", merely how to FIX it. We see these kind of queries every day in consumer enquiries.

We also see someone who is lacking in the basic knowledge of colour theory asking for help to colour correct something they don't even know why or how or what went wrong!

The OP should in my opinion, be asking their own teachers, classmates peers before asking for advice on here.

In my opinion also, and judging by recent postings by certain people, there have been a number of people posting pretending to be hairdressers when in fact they probably aren't. I am NOT suggesting this is the case here. But sadly it has made me (and others I'm sure) very wary about responding to queries of this nature.

Spoon-feeding students answers, when they should be working out HOW these things happened, is making you all feel better that you know it, but it's not helping them.

I hope this makes more sense now. I apologise if anyone was offended by my "harsh" response.

The OP did not seem concerned with HOW the problem occurred or the science and theory behind it (new to hair "stuff" and "can't get my colour theory right - ha-ha", merely how to FIX it. We see these kind of queries every day in consumer enquiries.

We also see someone who is lacking in the basic knowledge of colour theory asking for help to colour correct something they don't even know why or how or what went wrong!
Spoon-feeding students answers, when they should be working out HOW these things happened, is making you all feel better that you know it, but it's not helping them.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.
If they were a genuinely keen student, why aren't they asking 'why did it go wrong?'

I would go into college and ask your tutors to explain what went wrong and how, knowing that will prevent the problem happening again. X

Its appalling that a student - 'just starting out' can gain access to these kinds of chemicals, I was not allowed to use colours as a new student and certainly wasn't allowed an account at a wholesalers. We are doing this person a favour by explaining that it IS better to seek advice from a tutor if they are starting a career in hairdressing. It is not ideal to tell a student to apply bleach to their own roots I wouldn't have thought? So original poster - please seek advice from your teachers, let them see your hair as it is and help.:)

I haven't been on here enough to see some of the goings on lately with genuine queries etc :( but I couldn't agree more about asking tutors, why and going to college to get it corrected :)

OP, you there? Do you know what went wrong and why? Do you understand why we are advising you go to college or a professional and pay? college preferably as this would mean you understand the reason and how to fix too rather than someone saying what to do and not why.

If the OP hasn't yet done colour at college, then she hasn't done the H&S for colour either. To give colour recipes to a new student is no different to giving the same advice to a person just buying from Sally's. It's rather irresponsible no?

If the OP hasn't yet done colour at college, then she hasn't done the H&S for colour either. To give colour recipes to a new student is no different to giving the same advice to a person just buying from Sally's. It's rather irresponsible no?

Totally agree the op has even stated that she has just done her 'first ever class' most defiantly not a pro.

I totally understand wanting the OP to understand why this has happened and how it happened, however I still think that there is a level of rudeness that is not necessary.

I have been reading over posts and know that there are people here who claim to be professionals and are not and are just seeking information. I understand that can be annoying let alone dangerous to people that these people may be providing service to.

HOWEVER, with all respect and no offence meant this person may just want to correct their own hair and will possibly mention what happened to their tutors and then this should open the discussion as to why it happened. Even now I learn things every day and what better way to gain experience by trialing it and at least it was on theirself first!!!

I feel quite awkward reading some of the replies as it does seem to be a case of well if you don't know I am not telling you!! Perhaps if these kinds of questions crop up, instead of being rude, try to start a conversation and ask them a question back as to why they think this happened in the first place, and then that way you could get a better knowledge and understanding about how much they know!!

Being rude and disrespectful easily can deter people from contributing to the forum, or even continuing with their career. Remember you can never see the tone in which the written word is meant in.

I totally understand wanting the OP to understand why this has happened and how it happened, however I still think that there is a level of rudeness that is not necessary.

I have been reading over posts and know that there are people here who claim to be professionals and are not and are just seeking information. I understand that can be annoying let alone dangerous to people that these people may be providing service to.

HOWEVER, with all respect and no offence meant this person may just want to correct their own hair and will possibly mention what happened to their tutors and then this should open the discussion as to why it happened. Even now I learn things every day and what better way to gain experience by trialing it and at least it was on theirself first!!!

I feel quite awkward reading some of the replies as it does seem to be a case of well if you don't know I am not telling you!! Perhaps if these kinds of questions crop up, instead of being rude, try to start a conversation and ask them a question back as to why they think this happened in the first place, and then that way you could get a better knowledge and understanding about how much they know!!

Being rude and disrespectful easily can deter people from contributing to the forum, or even continuing with their career. Remember you can never see the tone in which the written word is meant in.

I am really not happy for you to be making accusations of rudeness, disrespect fullness etc. Continually pointing this out on threads is tiresome as well.

Let's put it this way - if you go to see a professional hairdresser do you expect them to at least know the basics of hair colouring?

Or would you be happy that instead of learning absolute essentials of our trade that your hairdresser can't really be bothered to do any work herself but just asks someone else to tell her the answers and doesn't card what went wrong or why it did?

I don't know about you but I prefer my experts to be experts not guessing and bodging not knowing what they're doing. :)

I am really not happy for you to be making accusations of rudeness, disrespect fullness etc. Continually pointing this out on threads is tiresome as well.

Let's put it this way - if you go to see a professional hairdresser do you expect them to at least know the basics of hair colouring?

Or would you be happy that instead of learning absolute essentials of our trade that your hairdresser can't really be bothered to do any work herself but just asks someone else to tell her the answers and doesn't card what went wrong or why it did?

I don't know about you but I prefer my experts to be experts not guessing and bodging not knowing what they're doing. :)

I fully understand your passion and you are indeed right that the basics should be learnt. Of course when you go to a salon you expect to be given the correct service and care and attention, but everything is a learning curve, and EVERYBODY makes mistakes whether it's in the beginning when learning still or when just newly qualified.

When you are learning you use ALL resources to gather information and to further education which includes internet resources such as google or even youtube, however this would also cover a forum where you could speak to others with experience.

Surely if there is an apprentice in a salon and they need help the qualified hairdresser wouldn't say go and ask your tutuor? If they require help there and then the most independent thing would be to ask who is nearest. If the OP done this at home and wanted immediate advice then a forum like this would be possibly the first contact before going back to college.

Surely we should be helping students want to have the same passion that we do about hair and techniques and colour and processes, rather than point blankly saying don't do it seek advice elsewhere!

I totally agree that we shouldn't give out short worded answers, but we should at least try to help them to understand and realise the importance of handling chemicals and carrying out different processes.

I'm not meant to offend honestly, but these questions could be coming from young individuals who want to progress but some of the answers seem to be short, sharp and basically rude with immediate refusal to help. I also understand that you never know who you are talking to and they could be frauds and not qualified, but surely until identified to be otherwise they should be treated and written to accordingly.

Maybe there should be a separate forum set up for students. There's one for nails, and hair, and skin and biz but where can students discuss assignments or issues or mistakes that they have done, as here they seem to be shot down.

Just my opinion and sorry if I am becoming a bore, or causing offence, just trying to stand up for the students that we ALL once were!!

No-one has been rude or offensive as far as I can see.

Several very experienced professionals have posted eloquent and constructive advice to the OP.

It's entirely up to the OP whether they follow the advice or not.

What I do find very odd is that you seem to think it's perfectly reasonable for students with a very limited understanding of colouring hair to 'play around' with extremely dangerous chemicals as long as it's on their own head.

As another post mentioned previously, they really shouldn't be able to purchase them until they've passed their hair colour units.

Last edited:
I fully understand your passion and you are indeed right that the basics should be learnt. Of course when you go to a salon you expect to be given the correct service and care and attention, but everything is a learning curve, and EVERYBODY makes mistakes whether it's in the beginning when learning still or when just newly qualified.

When you are learning you use ALL resources to gather information and to further education which includes internet resources such as google or even youtube, however this would also cover a forum where you could speak to others with experience.

Surely if there is an apprentice in a salon and they need help the qualified hairdresser wouldn't say go and ask your tutuor? If they require help there and then the most independent thing would be to ask who is nearest. If the OP done this at home and wanted immediate advice then a forum like this would be possibly the first contact before going back to college.

Surely we should be helping students want to have the same passion that we do about hair and techniques and colour and processes, rather than point blankly saying don't do it seek advice elsewhere!

I totally agree that we shouldn't give out short worded answers, but we should at least try to help them to understand and realise the importance of handling chemicals and carrying out different processes.

I'm not meant to offend honestly, but these questions could be coming from young individuals who want to progress but some of the answers seem to be short, sharp and basically rude with immediate refusal to help. I also understand that you never know who you are talking to and they could be frauds and not qualified, but surely until identified to be otherwise they should be treated and written to accordingly.

Maybe there should be a separate forum set up for students. There's one for nails, and hair, and skin and biz but where can students discuss assignments or issues or mistakes that they have done, as here they seem to be shot down.

Just my opinion and sorry if I am becoming a bore, or causing offence, just trying to stand up for the students that we ALL once were!!

I completely see where you are coming from, the main reason I said to see the tutor is the op stated they have just started hair "stuff", I know it's easy to get carried away in the excitement of step one to your dream career, but like has been said students shouldn't have access to potentially life threatening chemicals.
The op hasn't enough knowledge if colours to give us a description with enough detail to give remedial advice, so any advice we follow with could have adverse effect and just cause more problems in the long run x

exactly! whilst I understand that its all new and exciting when you first start learning BUT walk before you can run! as said by a previous geek,if the OP is just starting out with her classes,the very basics of health and safety,COSHH and safe handling of chemicals will have not been covered yet let alone colour theory. this is a great opportunity for the OP to assist a more advanced student by being a colour correction model for them,and a chance to pick their brains as to why it happened and how to fix it.
as for accusations of rudeness and picking apart peoples posts...another reason for someone to be reluctant to post or partcipate if they find themselves accused of this?

We all have to start somewhere....

Latest posts

Back