Hair mess, help needed to fix it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I would say is if you are doing an NVQ2/VRQ2, you are only taught the very basics of colour, you are not taught colour correction until you are doing level 3, you may however pick up tips and be able to learn from other stylists (which is how I've learnt, I did my nvq2 10 years ago and am starting my nvq3 in September) so I would strongly suggest, especially being that youre just starting out, grasping the basics before attempting something quite so technical. Even if you're not doing it on a client, you don't wanna ruin your own hair in any way, your appearance is important now you're becoming a stylist! Speak to a tutor, they may well use you as a model to demonstrate to other students and if not, definitely get it done by a pro xx

We all have to start somewhere....

Yes we do, but not doing a complex colour correction when you don't know the basics first! :)

You don't drive a formula one car when you don't know how to drive yet do you?

Are all levels of training exactly the same no matter where in the world you are? Just asking as what may happen in the UK may be different to what happens in other areas of Europe. Dont be too judgemental people, we do want this forum to be as welcoming and friendly as possible as well as educational.

What is the facebook page called - why is Salongeek so full of bullies - I cant imagine where they get that impression from. Do we really want that to be the face of Salongeek.

It would be very interesting for some of you to go back to when you were a student and see what questions you asked, some even have been posted on here!

We all know what has happened recently with duplicate accounts etc. but please stop assuming that every new person is in some way not who they say they are.

Personally I now have an impression of hairdressers and it is certainly not a positive one! If everyone gets the same impression then no one will post on here in the Hair Forum anyway and all we will get is chit chat threads about Big Brother, TOWIE, etc and who wants that!

Come on everyone lets sit together and hold hands and sing-kum-by-ah - clearly saying No is too horrible for some to deal with.

And, YES THIS IS A SARCASTIC message, if you were in any doubt. :D

If you whack a blob of ash in with your your formula it will probably be ok.

Are all levels of training exactly the same no matter where in the world you are? Just asking as what may happen in the UK may be different to what happens in other areas of Europe. Dont be too judgemental people, we do want this forum to be as welcoming and friendly as possible as well as educational.

What is the facebook page called - why is Salongeek so full of bullies - I cant imagine where they get that impression from. Do we really want that to be the face of Salongeek.

It would be very interesting for some of you to go back to when you were a student and see what questions you asked, some even have been posted on here!

We all know what has happened recently with duplicate accounts etc. but please stop assuming that every new person is in some way not who they say they are.

Personally I now have an impression of hairdressers and it is certainly not a positive one! If everyone gets the same impression then no one will post on here in the Hair Forum anyway and all we will get is chit chat threads about Big Brother, TOWIE, etc and who wants that!

A full haidresser course in quebec, canada is 6 months ... Then u get ure liscense and off on the work market... Lol u learn i salons... Barely in school

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

A full haidresser course in quebec, canada is 6 months ... Then u get ure liscense and off on the work market... Lol u learn i salons... Barely in school

So when i found thid website i got super excited! I read n read n reaf even my husband was getting annoyed at how much time i was spending reading and learning off of the pros in here... Until i started seei g all the bullying and after getting bashed on but some of the same pros i admired simply because i was asking questions that to them was outrageous that i didnt know.

So now i read but barely ask anything anymore by fear of getting humiliated. Not everwhere in the world do we get the same quality training, but that doesnt mean we dont have the same passion for our work :):)

Wooooow that a seriously scary thought!

I think its time this thread got blocked.

Its not going anywhere and the OP doesn't seem to be responding, so if they want further help then they can pm us or list another question with more info and only those willing to help or give advise (even if why we suggest college to be a colour correction) can respond but think about how we are wording our posts, that's all that's happened here. Most of us agree with kaya but in parts think the original post was harsh, me and tomme and a couple others have all said the same advise and no one seems to be jumping on us as we have worded it in a nicer way i guess.

I was trying to help the OP understand what went wrong but strongly siggest they go to college and be a colour correction model, but as for all we know they may have worked in a salon as a sat worker and picked up a few things before starting. They may well a member of the public but I don't think a member of the public without slight training would understand adding ash to neutralise like the op did, just not the quantities and undertones. I think this conversation is finishing and I'm out. OP if you would like help, PM me, I won't give you the answers I'll give you advise xx

Good call NICshairstudio!

Thank you :)

My original response could've been worded gentler, but the sentiment remains the same.
I had already apolgised for that in my second post.

It's a very sad time, when, saying no to someone and telling them to seek advice from the people who are teaching them and know them and whoc can physically see what you've done, is accused of being a bully :-(

think about how we are wording our posts, that's all that's happened here. Most of us agree with kaya but in parts think the original post was harsh, me and tomme and a couple others have all said the same advise and no one seems to be jumping on us as we have worded it in a nicer way i guess.

OP if you would like help, PM me, I won't give you the answers I'll give you advise xx

This is exactly what we as Mods would love to see, people answering in a nicer more constructive way.

Also instead of falling out amongst yourselves, sometimes youre best to just wait until you hear from the Threadstarter. It is amazing how many times people fall out on here giving advice, and the one person it is all meant to be for doesnt even come back to acknowledge it ;)

Good call NICshairstudio!

My original response could've been worded gentler, but the sentiment remains the same.
I had already apolgised for that in my second post.

It's a very sad time, when, saying no to someone and telling them to seek advice from the people who are teaching them and know them and whoc can physically see what you've done, is accused of being a bully :-(

Not one person has been accused of being a bully on this thread. This word is getting bandied about too much now, we are adults we can have differing views and should be able to express them in a civil and constructive manner. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are bullying you.
However when several people band together in order to put someone down, that is a whole different matter.

What I am now confused about on this Forum is that some Hair Geeks now feel that no colour advice should be given in case the person asking is not qualified, or even not qualified enough.
As the majority of threads on here are about colour and colour correction then where does that leave us ?

the bullying part was introduced by Natural Nails. You would need to ask her why she felt necessary to say it.

But, there have been accusations of being rude and disrespectful and generally being unpleasant on this thread.

I agree having a differing opinion should not cause all these issues, however, I am going to stick up for myself. And disagreeing with someone shouldn't make them then accuse someone of bullying someone. I've not said anyone on here is a bully or been rude, but there's lots of people that seem to think it's ok to antagonise others by throwing that in to the mix.

I've already said and apologised if I spoke harshly and out of turn in my first post.

This thread has gone so far off topic now it's funny. :)

Hopefully this post isn't too harsh for the delicate sensibilities for some and they won't need counselling or anything like that because of it.

We are so far off topic now, what the hell.....

A group on FB was mentioned not that anyone on this thread was a bully.
Check out that Group, and see what happens when salon professionals get together on FB without rules like SG has. You can't see the advice for people selling and spamming. :rolleyes:

I do think there are a lot of rude and disrespectful posts in the Hair Forum in general, just my own personal opinion, the worst do get edited out so maybe that is why a lot of people are not aware.
This thread though on the whole is actually quite constructive, and like life a harsh response can sometimes happen, an apology is an end to the matter and the best response, and that was done right away, so we should just move on.

We are so far off topic now, what the hell.....

A group on FB was mentioned not that anyone on this thread was a bully.
Check out that Group, and see what happens when salon professionals get together on FB without rules like SG has. You can't see the advice for people selling and spamming. :rolleyes:

I do think there are a lot of rude and disrespectful posts in the Hair Forum in general, just my own personal opinion, the worst do get edited out so maybe that is why a lot of people are not aware.
This thread though on the whole is actually quite constructive, and like life a harsh response can sometimes happen, an apology is an end to the matter and the best response, and that was done right away, so we should just move on.

I just checked out that group....it's all people from the nails forum! Lol.

Out of interest, which of the mods are trained in hair?

I just checked out that group....it's all people from the nails forum! Lol.

Out of interest, which of the mods are trained in hair?

Yeah I had a look. Didn't recognise any hair geeks.

I think you'll find any information you require on people's profiles, including the Mods.

Moderation is about removing spam and keeping the peace and checking everyone abides by the site rules. Moderators do not need to enter into any of the technical threads unless they are just participating as a site member with the requisite knowledge.
SG is a community where the members should be able to sort out any problems of a technical nature in the threads in a constructure and helpful way with reporting an incorrect post as a last resort.
This is your site, and in the ideal world all the moderation should t even be noticed by most members as it should just be housekeeping ie. moving threads to correct forums and sorting out the spam.

Now if we have exhausted the advice for the OP could we just wait on them to get back to their question without them having to,wade thought any more off topic discussions.

I think you'll find any information you require on people's profiles, including the Mods.

Moderation is about removing spam and keeping the peace and checking everyone abides by the site rules. Moderators do not need to enter into any of the technical threads unless they are just participating as a site member with the requisite knowledge.
SG is a community where the members should be able to sort out any problems of a technical nature in the threads in a constructure and helpful way with reporting an incorrect post as a last resort.
This is your site, and in the ideal world all the moderation should t even be noticed by most members as it should just be housekeeping ie. moving threads to correct forums and sorting out the spam.

Now if we have exhausted the advice for the OP could we just wait on them to get back to their question without them having to,wade thought any more off topic discussions.

Just to clarify....you don't think it's desirable for the moderators of a professional hair forum to have any training or experience in the hairdressing industry whatsoever? And that where there 'are' experienced professionals available the role should be awarded to industry outsiders? I wonder how long the nails forum would last if Sam inflicted a load of catering students to run it...and make decisions about who was right and wrong about nail stuff.

Perhaps if there 'were' one or two hairdressing professionals on the moderation team it would avoid a lot of hard work for you guys. Hairdressers would see where threads are heading before they even get there...it's impossible for you guys to do the same, just as I would have no clue if 2 nail techs were arguing about something that one of them was convinced would damage the nail bed irreparably. It would be totally unfair if I made my decision based on which one of them I thought was being nicest in their manner - I might end up giving an infraction to the one who was actually right and should have been listened to all along.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just suggesting something I feel could really help the site. I don't think having hair geeks as moderators of the hair section could harm the site...put it that way.

Hope the OP found the advice she was looking for.

Classix, there is a hair mod. I only ever see Fiona, Isabel, and Noodle (sorry don't remember your name!) actively moderating, but I'm assured that there is already one.

Classix, there is a hair mod. I only ever see Fiona, Isabel, and Noodle (sorry don't remember your name!) actively moderating, but I'm assured that there is already one.

Ok, well thats cool. Never knew we had a hair mod. I wonder what their username is? Would be nice to know.

I'm using an iPad to post and it doesn't show who is on the team etc. so I tend to rely on usernames. I know izzidoll, natural nails and noodle are mods, but not sure who else?

There isn't a hair moderator actually.

I thought it was Dee?

Latest posts

Back